Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Looking for confirmation - Spawn motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Default Looking for confirmation - Spawn motor

Hello there,

I have been getting into the hobby and enjoying my time and pushing the limits of what the truck Spawn RTR can do, replacing/upgrading as things break. Typically do some crawling (around the colonnade, slab, other local locations around Issaquah), trail running, and general bashing around the complex area, becoming more familiar with the capabilities.
In a prior life I beat the hell outta my 1:1 Amigo all over CO/UT and had a great time... now it's scale world time.

My latest scenario last week is such:
We were bashing around and the tell tale sound of clicking gears started. Stripped the stock idler gear, so replaced with the RR metal idler and 1 piece output gear. I did validate no binding and smooth running all around.

Doing a test run on the rock forms by the pool (kinda like Moab slick rock formations), it was moving without issue, it was 45 min +/- into the run and during a climb it stalled out. It wouldn't climb over the last nub on the climb, I started to back off and give it a little bump, but before I could do so, I saw smoke.
It wasn't bellowing out, but a sustained amount and smelled of cooked electronics; previously it would let out some wisps as it got to the end of battery charge, high heat, or otherwise tired toward the end of runs. the belly pan was quite warm, and the battery leads were super flexible and overheated too, I ran way too much current through the electrical system.
Suspecting that the motor is fairly well done at this point, I recharged the batter and ran it around the living room and it moves fine, there is not a very big load/resistance however.

All that being said, I am thinking that I should replace the 20T stock motor with a 27T or 35T as a band aid to get me through the next month until budget allows for a brushless system with ESC replacement.
Looked at the 55T Axial, but think that is too much.
with the Spawn I am running 32p 56/12 spur/pinion. I think I will be okay with that standard gearing on a 27T/35T motor, but also thought to gear down pinion to a 9 or 10tooth to lower my ratio to cover all eventualities.

Running all stock electronics, and a Lipo 2S 5100mAh battery.
have replaced all my links with Ti, servo horn with Al, bearings, universals, and painted my chassis/cage over the past 2 months since I've had it.

Is my thinking that updating to a 27/35T motor and a 56/9 or 10 would be in that acceptable range?

Thanks for the help!
Keith
Darthloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking for confirmation - Spawn motor

Unless you really need speed, then you might find hat a 27-35 turn and lower gearing as you mentioned might be the final solution. Depending on your particular usage the expense of a brushless system may not be needed.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Changing to a 10 tooth pinion is the fix I think you are looking for on the stock 20t motor. Doing this and switching to the 27t motor will make an even bigger difference than what you're used to for wheel speed. I'd try changing one thing at a time and running it for a bit to get the feel of that one change. Since the motor is toast try just getting a 27t and running that to see if it's good. Then swap the pinion if you still get heat problems or just want more low end control and torque. If/when you do decide to go brushless stay in the 56/12 gearing range and look for a motor in the 3000kv range. This will feel about the same as stock in the low end but have way more torque and be about twice as fast at top speed. Its a good starting point and you can adjust from there. You can also check out the motor and esc sticky at the top of this page. Tons of good info with gearing and specific motor setups. Congrats on the new toy and welcome.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Holmes is having a sale on 30t motors, I picked up 2 today. You always need extras. For gearing a great range for your final ratio is 5.5 to 1. Maybe 6:1 depending on the size of your tires.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Just find the cheapest motor for now and drop your pinion and save up for brushless. Don't waste your time and money on brushed, since your goin brushless soon.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #6

Thanks all for the confirmation and thoughts...
Off to the LHS to obtain parts. Need to fix before camping next week!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Darthloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #7

Need help... What kind of pinion would I use for a 27 t integy pro lathe motor using then stock spur? Has the 2.2 maxxis trepadors included in the kit. Only 2s lipo use. Oh and side question does anyone know the specs on the BEC inside of the sidewinder sv3 by castle?Can't find anywhere

I'm asking about gearing cause wraith spawn has different spur gear than normal wraith. (56 tooth instead of the old 80 tooth)

Last edited by Angry_dolphin; 10-13-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Angry_dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

10t also, you will want a ir temp gun to check your Temps. Stay under 160. Look for a 4 pole brushless sensored set up.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Thanks snaponboy!

And I have an IR gun I use it to keep my 6900kv 3S lipo stadium truck cool

Last edited by Angry_dolphin; 10-13-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I know it's not a spawn but I I run my all metal sand rail with a 3300k 4 pole brushless sensored set up on 2s and 3s some. It averages 130 ish after a full pack. It's about 9lbs. If you watch the classified ads on rccralwer you can get a good brushless sensored combo for 60 to 100. If the set you get isn't water proof / resistant hit up squirrel on u tube. I used his information / process to waterproof my sensored motor in my blizzard.

Last edited by snapon boy; 10-13-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #11

I don't really have enough for sensored set up right now, I a already have a ESC that works on brushed though.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

There are 2 27t motors in the the classified ads today for 12 that should hold you till you find the setup you want.

Looking for confirmation - Spawn motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial spawn motor/esc problems helppp!!! riverside_wraith Electronics 10 06-10-2015 02:21 PM
Axial 27T Motor good on stock gearing Wraith Spawn? raider89 Axial Wraith 4 06-04-2015 03:38 PM
Spawn issues.... Motor related.. mattlosch Axial Wraith 34 05-05-2015 10:42 PM
Just need confirmation TEAM-JCJ Electronics 2 08-24-2007 11:49 AM