Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Screamer's FNG build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Screamer's FNG build

So I got my star and can finally put up pictures. Just wanted to share my first build and experience from the perspective of a brand new RC enthusiast but long time gearhead. I'd been wanting to get an axial crawler for about a year before finally getting the gumption to drop $450 on a Wraith Spawn. I was apprehensive because I thought it was so much money to commit to something I might not want to stick with. Oh boy was I in for a surprise. Here I am a couple months after buying it and I've probably now put over 2 grand into it. I can say I'm completely addicted. I don't have any pics of her totally bone stock but who wants to see those anyway. This is after a couple small mods and getting a ProLine JK body painted up to match my 1:1. All I have on here is diff covers, and PL powerstrokes. More pics coming.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Screamer's FNG build

About $250 at Vanquish got me a Stage 1 kit, lockers, links, SLW hubs and a couple small things.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Comparison between the stock locker and gear to the Vanquish locker and HD gear. Much better quality and design. Definitely a worth while upgrade.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This is a comparison of the stock and VP link. Also showing the stage 1 kit, link mounts, DMG skids, and Ackerman steering arms and links. I think because of the longer steering arms it felt like the stock servo didn't have to work as hard. Didn't matter, a Hitec 7954SH was in the future.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Wanted a better motor so I tried a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 13t. Great quality and you have the option to have leads pre installed for you which is great for soldering dummies like myself. It does lower the wheel speed considerably but has much smoother startup and more torque than the Axial 20t. I had to drop the pinion to a 10t due to heat issues.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The Axial ripsaws that came on the Spawn are good but after seeing a lot of other rigs running various aftermarket tires and foams, and because for me, stock is never good enough, I decided I needed some new tires and wheels. I actually like Axials beadlocks for the Spawn and Poison Spyder Wraith and they're cheap and since I was replacing the tires and foams I decided to get all three for a completely new set. I went with Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 6.0 comp cut inner/soft outer and PitBull Rock Beast IIs. Damn, that's a mouthful. This combo gave a significant increase in traction on every surface I could test. Road, carpet, furniture in the living room, rocks, mud, etc. I really didn't expect this much of a performance increase but was very pleasantly surprised. Anyway, back to the pics. I wish I could figure out how to attach more than one per post. When I upload 2 or three it just posts the last one uploaded.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

In building any of my projects be it one of my dirtbikes or ATVs or my Jeep and now my new addiction, RC, durability and function are paramount. Because of this, Harley's bulletproof Wraith thread became my build sheet. Somewhere along the line I found out about the SuperShafty bombproof trans and of course I had to have this little badass at the heart of my rig. Well I couldn't in all good conscience bolt a brushed motor onto a tranny that's ready for 6s brushless power so of course I had no choice but to buy a new motor. I had been looking at the Roc412 and Pro4 Tekins for a while and then that comparison thread was posted comparing the two. That's when Holmes told us about his brushless puller pro 3500 and I knew that was the one. Got that ordered along with a new Castle Mamba Max Pro and sat waiting very impatiently until all awesomeness arrived. You've already seen many pics of the MMP so here's my super sexy motor and trans.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Another motor and trans pic. Sorry, no idea why the pics are getting turned for some but not others.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 07-22-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Very well done.Looks fantastic.Dig the color.It should run well with your power set up.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! The color is called Amp'd. No kidding. It's the color of my 2014 Wrangler. It's kind of a color changing orange metallic. In the sun it gets really bright, almost yellow, and in overcast or dark skies it turns to a deep orange. I love the color but found out quickly that it's very polarizing. I've had people tell me flat out that it's ugly and others tell me they love it and ask what it's called. I feel stupid every time I say "Amp'd" and they look at me like, "WTF?"
Old 07-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Strange name, GREAT color !
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

My most recent mod but something I've wanted to do since the beginning was a trailing arm setup for several reasons. I was finally able to get the UCFab trailing arms that I wanted and had DMG build me a custom stiffy kit that he did an amazing job on. I'll show a couple pictures of the arms and everything installed and this brings me to my current setup. I can honestly say that every mod I've done has improved performance, durability, or both in some way. I would say that my 2 favorite mods were going brushless and installing trailing arms. This is a completely different animal than what I bought 2 months ago. All the take off parts went to my daughters SCX10 build so nothing was left unused. I can't wait to build another Wraith. Thanks for the kind words and for checking out my first build. Feel free to ask any questions.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

DMG's badass stiffy kit and UCFab trailing arms installed.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Sorry a bit blurry.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Ride height shot. Front sags a bit more with the battery installed.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Finally got some time to do some back yard testing in the mini Crawliseum and wanted to show off the new chassis and trailing arms in action. My new found suspension travel is having me rearrange obstacles to make them tougher. I love it! The DMG really nailed it with my stiffy kit. I can't wait to build a new Wraith just so I can order another kit from him. The PitBull RBIIs are getting better with every run too. Must be getting rid of the mold release on the tread. Still not done with her. Got to be some more performance I can get out of her somewhere. Any suggestions on the next mod?
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I am looking for aluminum panels, I just want something different than the 2 choices we have from AMF and eBay.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I believe EeePee put it best when he described , "Mad tyte flex, Bro!" I hope this qualifies.....in a good way.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Do you not find with the trailing arm mounted to the upper hole on the axle mount that the lower parts smashes into everything, I'd have thought it would.
I run the UCFab arms on my 2.2 U4RC rig but mount to the lower mount hole.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I did mount them that way to raise the rear end up a bit but I see what you're saying. Having the trailing arm attached to the lower mount hole would give a smooth transition from link to link mount then axle. Good catch. I looked at the link mounts and although there are no scrapes yet, I'll keep an eye on them. I really don't want to change anything before doing some more testing because she feels pretty dialed as is.

Screamer's FNG build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fng..... Felt29er Newbie General 2 12-27-2013 06:09 AM
Fng....... Team Tactical Bacon Arizona 7 09-24-2011 11:39 AM
FNG saying hello... Dogsbody Colorado 12 07-29-2009 07:39 PM
The FNG jmdave69 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-02-2008 06:08 PM