Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New build, new builder, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Benbot’s Planetary Explorer Wraith build

Rather than creating a separate thread for this build, I'm just going to edit this existing one.

Update 8/21/2015
I'll be building the Axial Wraith Spawn kit and equipping it for some rock crawling, backyard bashing and generally being able to go anywhere. I’d like a balance between crawling and going fast (at least in a straight line, since these things aren’t exactly known for their high-speed maneuverability). Although it’s not going in the water, I would like it to be somewhat splash resistant because a scaler/crawler that can’t get at least a tiny bit wet is pretty boring.

Here are my electronics selections so far, heavily going by Harley’s suggestions in his budget Wraith build videos. I would like some second opinions on these choices and some possible other parts I should consider.
Tekin Roc 412 3100kv motor
1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC
Futaba S9157 servo
Futaba 4PLS radio

Nothing has actually been purchased yet because I first want to get a general parts list to make sure everything is going to work well together. What I need to know from you guys is what parts of the new Wraith Spawn should be upgraded?

After a lengthy 10+ year absence from the RC world, I need some advice. For me, RC is all about fantasy, imagination, and telling a story. I want to build an all-terrain, all weather, go anywhere exploration vehicle. My original plan was to yet the Yeti kit because it has better potential speed and maneuverability, but I’m seriously looking at the new Wraith Spawn. The kit is more mature with better refinement in design and 3rd party parts support, plus I just like its look better. I also figure it may be cheaper to build than the Yeti because generally speaking going slow on the rocks is cheaper than being fast on the trail. Is the Wraith a more capable platform? I’m going through the “beginners guide” threads, but a lot has changed with the kits and parts available since more of that information was written. What other things should I consider about these two before making a final decision?

Last edited by Benbot; 08-21-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Original question answered
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #2

Default Re: New build, new builder, need help

The wraith is great in general. I have a spawn and I love it. Out of the box it's enough to have fun with. I'm in the process of adding to mine and after that they are beast. You can gear them and put motors in them to be fast enough to have fun but slow enough and controllable enough to crawl.
IntenseCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you got enough money, get both honestly. There 2 different platforms, the yeti COULD crawl but will never be as good as a wraith/spawn. And the wraith/spawn will never be as good as a yeti. You can get an IFS for the wraith but will never be the same as the yeti since platform just sits a lot higher. I have a spawn thats brushless and I wanted it a crawler but still go fast and jump/basher but its just not the same as a yeti. So now I'm goin to get a yeti or yeti xl for speed and jumping/basher.

Last edited by 84yoda; 08-14-2015 at 02:29 PM.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #4

Do you want a bashing speedy thing or a go anywhere thing?
Flip a coin heads you go wraith spawn, tails yeti. As you go to flip whichever side you hope for more is the vehicle to get! Welcome back to the hobby.
YouAintCAV... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

The Wraith it is! Now I just need to figure out what parts I need to upgrade. I plan to run this with a sensored brushless system, so I may need to beef up the drivetrain.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Mip! Bec!
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Wraith Spawn Kit
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #8

Wraith Spawn kit looked the best to me. good upgrades. Tower Hobbies has a 30 dollar rebate on axial cars going on now. I just ordered mine today, cant wait to get it.
Noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

I run steel robinson racing gears on both my wraiths both also use the solid robinson racing bottom gear/outputs that comes sintered together. I cant use dig but the tranny is bullet proof. I found some cheap gpm aluminum tranny cases on amazonsmile too. Junfac driveshafts on one and MIP on the other. Both have held up excellent. Be sure to order up a tube of blue medium strength gel thread lock. That stuff goes a long way just slap a dab in a bottle cap to dip screws as needed.
Im contemplating swapping to dig in one because steep inclines and ledges roll me backwards even with under drive in the rear on one of my wraiths.
Theyre a blast!
Definitely recommend put your batterys up front during the build. I just zip tied the waterproof radio box to where you normally mount the battery box in back. I did have to get a servo extension to do so but it works like a charm. Oh yeah i forgot i had to order some posts for where the radio mount brackets normall go up front. i forget the lengths but i just measured first. I think it may have been 45mm possibly 40mm in the front. I needed the support because i pulled the radio box mount to the rear. Thats how i zip tied it in back there. Im sure others have methods of doing it as well.
I also chopped up the battery box so i could get a 3s in and out of the front easily. I zip tied it sideways and put some glass tape over the ties to reinforce the hold up front. The 3s barely fits in and out, but it does the trick!
Have fun!
I also recommend aluminum shock caps. The spawn only come with alumin bodies. One time i drove my rock racer kit off a cliff. The only parts to break were aluminum lower link plastic ends that thread on and one of my plastic shock caps.
Im thinking i like the junfac drive shafts better too. Theyre just much longer so the sliding lip is less exposed. I was skeptical of the wire rings that aid to hold in the set pins but they stick like a glove.
Also i would mobile 1 synthetic grease those gears good!

Last edited by YouAintCAV...; 08-18-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAintCAV... View Post
I run steel robinson racing gears on both my wraiths both also use the solid robinson racing bottom gear/outputs that comes sintered together. I cant use dig but the tranny is bullet proof.

Not bullet proof.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post

Not bullet proof.
I have seen that problem quite a few times from the RRP one piece gear for the Wraith and SCX10. The RRP gear with the stock outputs is a stronger combination.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

RRP or HR steel gears with Super Shafty 6mm outputs are even more bombproof!
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #13

I wouldnt post a pic of a steel output broken and blame the part...
That just shows what not properly lubed drive trains can do under stress. Three 2mm screws would just as easily shear off. You have to take care of your stuff so it will take care of you.
So i guess the single body gear/output is only stronger, not bullet proof. Nothing is idiot proof.

Prevented by keeping your bearings replaced when needed and difs well greased. Also i wouldnt over torque your slipper as that must have been. The clutch is there for a reason

And hell even a stuck wheel... naw nevermind. Nothing is idiot proof stands

Last edited by YouAintCAV...; 08-19-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Slippers are for girls.

My diff bearing are always fresh, they only last a few months. I'm not easy on parts, I didn't buy a wraith to make my dresser look nice.

I bet if I had greased my reluctor wheel this wouldn't have happened.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #15

Another broken part. you win. Epic driving bro.
Sorry for the hijack op.
Good luck with the build!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

He said bulletproof not Maslin proof. Nothing is Maslin proof.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAintCAV... View Post
......Nothing is idiot proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
......Nothing is Maslin proof.
Pun intended or fortuitous coincidence??
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Here are my electronics selections so far, heavily going by Harley’s suggestions in his budget Wraith build videos. I would like some second opinions on these choices and some possible other parts I should consider.
1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC
Futaba S9157 servo
Futaba 4PLS radio

Nothing has actually been purchased yet because I first want to get a general parts list to make sure everything is going to work well together. What I need to know from you guys is what parts of the new Wraith Spawn should be upgraded? Am I going overkill on the electronics? Need input.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Consider the Holmes Puller Pro for your motor also. My buddy got one for his Wraith and it is all the power you could ever want or need. Its also about $20 cheaper than a ROC412.

Holmes Hobbies LLC

While the Futaba servo is nice, you could go with the Hitec 7954 and spend $40 on something else.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC
Futaba S9157 servo
Futaba 4PLS radio

Nothing has actually been purchased yet because I first want to get a general parts list to make sure everything is going to work well together. What I need to know from you guys is what parts of the new Wraith Spawn should be upgraded? Am I going overkill on the electronics? Need input.
Your build is very similar to mine except I am using a Hitec 7955 for servo. Tower is doing their ecash promotion (until tomorrow) and a $30 mail in rebate on the Spawn kit so it is a good time to buy from them.

With your motor choice, I think steel trans gears need to make their way on your list and HD bevel gears would be a good investment too.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
questions, wraith, yeti

New build, new builder, need help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scratch build model builder from down under thecrusader Chit Chat 3 11-02-2013 11:10 PM
Looking for builder Nohands Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 07-08-2011 11:14 AM