Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: wraith build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Default wraith build

My wraith is coming along slowly but surely. So far I've swapped out the motor to a HH 540 puller pro brushless and mmp. Vanquish suspension links, slw hubs, swapped to Robison racing 32 pitch pinion and spur and Vanquish trans gears. Still haven't decided on servo yet. Looking at overdriving the front axle and just running heavy duty stock ratio rear. Any advice on other upgrades would be appreciated.
bamacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: wraith build

Welcome to the addiction!!!

What do you want to do with the truck? If you're not going to crawl with it, there really is no need for overdrive/underdriving it. You will however improve your steering by changing the front and rear rations but if you're driving on hard flat surfaces, you're going to increase the stress on the gears, driveshafts and transmission because they aren't turning at the same speed and there is no slip in the transmission to account for any of that.

GET A GOOD STRONG SERVO!!! I can not stress that enough. If you are going to hit the rocks with it, you need as much torque as your wallet will allow...400oz servo is not overkill here!!! Standard driving and backyard bashing...at least 200 oz in a good quailty brand (savox, hitec or futaba). If you do not heed this warning, you will be spending more money on another servo soon, your call.

I recommend the Hobbico TS-170 for all around performance on 6 volts. It is designed and built by Hitec (5955) and sold through Hobbico as their servo...love it

One more thing....pictures or this never happened! LOL
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I vote for a Hitec 7954sh. 400oz/in and less than $100. Also recommend under driving the rear with 43/13 instead of buying two sets to HD the stock rear and over drive the front. Also, overdrive (36/14) has the poorest gear mesh and could give you problems. Looks like you are of to a good start. Welcome!
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

I'm gonna use it to crawl and climb hills. We have some extremely steep places we climb. Mostly loose sandy dirt. I haven't got to run it yet. But I'm concerned with the gearing on the new motor. I have a 56 tooth spur and 9 tooth pinion. I'm gonna get a set of kmc rockstars and possibly a set of boggers. I'm still back and forth better those and tsl 2.2 xl and the rock beast 2.2.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

Finally got to take the wraith for a spin. And I'm in serious need for drive shafts. What brand should I get. Mip or punisher?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

MIP!!!

56/9 is a lil low for hill climbs IMO... I run 56/11 on my wraith & ot has great top & bottom end.

Between the tires & terraon you mentioned i would ho with rock beast or boggers both seem to mount ok to most common wheels...xl's not so much!

43/13 is best all around in with or similar brushless setups plus like mentioned gear mesh is iffy with anything else & ya dont need od/ud in those situatoins...again IMO.
Hope that helps
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Gearing doesn't really matter, you will smoke an ESC or destroy gears far before the 540 is damaged.
This should relieve any worries about gearing the Puller Pro.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Running 3s, 56/13, and 5.8 inch tall TSL XLs, I still haven't been able to get my motor above ambient temperature. This motor is fantastic and paired with the MMP, really shines. The fan on the ESC only comes on every now and then when I really get aggressive with the throttle.
I was also able to get a solid 2 hours of crawling to medium speed running today through some fairly tight, technical climbs and obstacles and I am loving this 43/13 rear, 38/13 front gearing setup. No more wheelies (unless I want to), much less torque twist, and there is ZERO binding. Here's an idea of the difference. If you mark a point on the rear tire at 12 o'clock and mark a point on the front at 12 o'clock then spin the rear one rotation and stop again at 12 o'clock, the front tire is at 2. It's not so much of a difference that even in high traction situations there is any binding at all. It did however, make a noticeable difference in climbing ability. Whether it was over obstacles or hill climbing, the Wraith is definitely more capable with this setup. It also had a nice side affect of giving me a bit tighter steering when at full lock. I understand now why so many people do OD/UD setups and for me, standard front/under driven rear is the sweet spot. I'll be doing this to all my trail builds from now on.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote

wraith build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 wraith build or scx10 build? Cork Newbie General 13 06-08-2015 08:17 AM
Wraith build Stuck like chuck Electronics 1 05-22-2014 05:10 PM