Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Joined the Wraith Coalition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Joined the Wraith Coalition

I traded my TF2 for a Wraith roller. The axles have a good number of upgrades, a tube cage that needs some finish work, shocks, a couple of bodies, and upgraded drive shafts (he forgot them, but I'll get them at the club's next run). Also got a RC boat that was thrown in with the deal.

Dollar-for-dollar the other guy made out pretty well, but I am pretty happy with the trade. I have been wanting a Wraith to build up for a while, and I have been wanting a hobby-grade boat.

That TF2 has been a disappointment sense I built it, running it has been one annoyance after another, never had a RC that required so much care and feeding for so little run time. This was my 2nd RC4WD kit, won't be a third, they have some great parts, but their RCs are high-priced, scale-looking junk. ** endith rant **

First things on my list are to finish the roll cage, want to get a couple tabs put on for lights and body mounts, then I'll sand everything down and paint. The bodies that came with it are ok, but I think I'd like to get another and paint it up myself, but sure what will fit and look good. Also, start getting lights put together (electrically).

Last edited by Greatscott; 08-30-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Joined the Wraith Coalition

Sweet cage, look forward to seeing it finished. Sand blast it and powdercoat it. You will be glad you did. What upgrades do the axles have?
Donkey_Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I think I am done with the build and its time to start tuning...

I sold the other cage. I liked it, but it needed A LOT of work, and I am not a welder. I went simple and get a stock cage, and went from there.

I am not much get getting my RCs muddy, just don't like the cleanup, but I wanted one that was purpose built for it, that is what this one is for.

My plan was to run a Duratrax DE10 ESC and LRP 17.5 motor that I had leftover from racing, but that combo just did not do well under high-torque conditions, so I put a CC SV3 and HH35T in their place. Not happy with the top end just yet, I'll need to play with the gearing (15/87).

Other stuff:
HR 120mm Shocks
Aluminum body panels (RPP)
Aluminum front battery tray (RPP)
STRC steering
Savox 200oz WP servo.

Hood...
Once I ordered the aluminum hood, I knew it needed to open...

To make it a little easier, I worked up a hood stand on a ball joint.

Once I got the electronics stuff in, I decided I wanted a back deck to go over everything. I was going to use real carbon fiber, but it was $50 a sheet, so I went with styrene and a carbon fiber sticker sheet for about $20 (lots of styrene left over)...

I took some time getting it cut right and holes where I wanted them.

I put the power switch in and mounted it...

The power switch goes to a 4-conductor Deans micro connector, turns on and off the ESC and BEC power at the same time.

Under the cover are the waterproof SV3 and a Radio Shack hobby box holding the receiver and BEC, all waterproof with silicone.

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-08-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

Looks good Liked the steel cage better tho.

Last edited by WT's Pauly; 11-08-2015 at 05:29 PM.
WT's Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Joined the Wraith Coalition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT's Pauly View Post
Looks good Liked the steel cage better tho.

Yeah, wasn't an easy decision, but it went to a good home.

Any suggestions on a roof-mounted light bar and a front bumper a fair lead can be mounted on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-09-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Axial five bucket light bar looks great with how it mounts and protects the lights, and accepts a led light bar. For the bumper check out the Werty made steel ones. Durable and look great, available in several configs.

Looking good !
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the rest of the parts and pieces put on...

Right now I am running a 35T motor geared 19/81 (3S), and I am not terribly happy with the speed, I am just hitting 8mph by GPS. Is this about right for this set up?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Too bad the brushless setup didn't work well. My wraith is very similar to yours. I'm running a mmpro with a 17.5 sensored motor and I'm very happy with how it crawls and top speed too. I may pm you when I'm up that way to visit again, mom and all my relatives live up there
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Just about finished with this guy, a few finishing touches and I'll be there.

I just finished up my servo winch install. It was kind of tricky, I ended up making the brackets and the fair lead. I mounted the servo at about 20 degrees down to put the spool inline with the pull. I do need to get a better spool, bought the servo winch and the bobbin spool came with it.

The front bracket is a secondary fair lead.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I felt like Iron Man looked lonely, so I put another hero in the passenger seat... A Hero2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBxLflL_nFA
Old 02-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

FINALLY...

Today was the first day to have this thing on the trail, great run, the truck really performed well, but there are some adjustments to make...

I motor got a little warm, 211*/f, I am wondering if I should be concerned...

Yes, I am kidding... Well, kidding about if I should be concerned, the motor lost power a couple times before I broke out the temp gun and took a measurement. Of course, I stopped running at this point and let it cool off, I am just hoping I didn't damage my Brood. Given that my drive train is free-rolling, and the pinion/spur mesh is set to allow just a tad bit of backlash, I am looking at my shocks as the reason for my motor temps.

My HR shocks are REALLY tall, which is putting the u-joints coming out of the transmission at a sharp angle, especially when the suspension is flexing. I am going to bringing the shocks down about 1/2" and see what that gets me. Also, the thing climbed pretty good, but it being jacked up this high certainly hurt its performance, by lowering it I should be fixing two problems.

Now I just need to find something to put in these shocks to lower them down, but not cause binding. Anyone ever do this, if so, what did you use?
Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Nice build! Buy a lower kit. I just ordered the gear head one. After tummy tucking I can lower mine down a lot.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I have done some work to my rig...

I have changed out the radio for my MT-4, allowing me to run my winch and rear-steer. And, Installed the rear steer.

Along with this, was using a small Radio Shack project box as a RC box, all gooped up with silicone sealant, it became a royal in the butt to make any changes at all, so I swapped it out for a Traxxas 2WD Pede RX box, works a lot better, but no room for the BEC, so that got waterproofed and mounted on the electronics tray.

I had it out for a comp today, and overall I am pleased with how it did. Most of its problems are the driver fighting the controls, but I need to do a bit of shock tuning.

The biggest problem I have had is heat. Geared at 83/21 on 3S, the motor got to 214*'f. I geared down to 87/16, and the motor was down to 185, better, but still WAY too hot. Stepping down to 2S, and the motor is right at 160, which is the high mark for being ok. The next step is to go with a sensored brushless system, they run a lot cooler, have more power, and run faster, allowing me to gear down and still have wheel speed. Most likely I'll pop for the MMP and 412 combo, but I am still shopping around.

I was really hoping the 200oz Savox servos would do well, but they are just passable, and really got bullied by the truck. So, it looks like I am also in the market for 300oz + servos, most likely a set of Hitech HS-7954SHs.

I am really impressed with the tires, for stock, they hook up REALLY well. I might put off on getting a set of Rock Beasts.

As the truck stands now, its runnable, and fun, but I see a lot more overtime in my future to pay for these upgrade parts.

Joined the Wraith Coalition - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally joined the Wraith family jrowles91 Axial Wraith 5 04-09-2013 05:27 AM
just joined rccrawler gkosterscx10 Newbie General 4 12-01-2012 10:49 PM
Texas Hippie Coalition, heavy metal band 70ford390 Chit Chat 4 09-12-2012 09:37 AM
just joined littleyj New Hampshire 6 04-04-2010 06:53 AM
Joined the Club LeDevil HPI Wheely King 19 03-08-2010 09:38 PM