Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Cat's "Gravity" Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Cat's "Gravity" Build

Hello,

This is my first offroad RC and I am having a lot of fun with it so far. I decided to start with a new Wraith RTR, it came with the new Tactic 3 Channel Radio which will be nice down the road. Looking to do some scale crawling/trailing but also some occasional backyard bashing.

Any suggestions/criticisms are welcomed!

The name comes from the battle against gravity this thing does/will endure but also after a song...

Mods so far:
120mm King shocks with 45 wt. shock oil
Level3 droop kit
Axial aluminum servo horn
Tactic TSX55 servo (stripped out the stock TSX45 early on)
SSD titanium steering links
Axial beadlock wheels
RC4WD 2.2 Rok Lox Comp. tires with Axial foams
Yellow vinyl tinted center lights

Future/Planned:
RC4WD inner fenders
Custom Axial body panels with half roof
DMG skid plates f/r
Scale driver (Sam Fisher)
Stinger front bumper
5 pod Axial light bar
Rear battery cover with scale accessories
Custom mesh covers on the back
Diff covers
Scale Hub covers
Upgrading suspension/axle components as needed.

Sorry pictures are not clearer
Attached Images

Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Cat's "Gravity" Build

Do the battery forward mod (free mod, search the forums ;) ) and you'll get one of the best performance mods you can do for this. Keep the weight down low too.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
Do the battery forward mod (free mod, search the forums ;) ) and you'll get one of the best performance mods you can do for this. Keep the weight down low too.
I've been thinking about that mod since I got the thing. I have to do some measuring to see if my hard case Venom 5000mah batteries will even fit. Plus some more research on how to actually do it will be helpful as well.

Will help to make a more scale looking model.

EDIT: After some quick research, looks like the mod is easier than I though and my battery should fit just fine. Now I just have to figure if I want to use a pre-made plate for use my stock battery tray which is already hacked up a bit.

Last edited by Arctic Cat ZRT; 09-08-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #4
RCC Addict

This is where I run all of my electronics.
Attached Images

djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So it has been awhile but I finally have an update, here is what I have done now!

1. DMG skid plates
2. New body and paint
3. Driver mod with custom harness
4. Battery forward mod using stock battery plate
5. Hood Mod with basic hardware and command strips velcro
5. RC4WD aluminum electronics box for ESC

Next things on my list are:

1. Warn Winch with wired controller for my 3 channel radio
2. Either werty made or brg bumper

Also, will just changing out the front axle shafts/universals help me with a tighter steering radius? Do I have to do anything else to achieve this?
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
Also, will just changing out the front axle shafts/universals help me with a tighter steering radius? Do I have to do anything else to achieve this?
To obtain a tighter steering radius you'll need Axial Universals (dogbones are limited to ~30° while universals are 50°). Once those are in you can trim the bump stops from the stock steering knuckles or get something like the VP knuckles. You should also re-set your steering endpoints since the bump stops will no longer limit the steering angle. You might also need to relocate the lower links to the inside of the mount to keep the tires from rubbing.

I would also recommend putting the Axial HD Underdrive Bevel Gears in the rear. This will have the effect of making the rear wheels spin a little slower than the front. That gives you better crawling/climbing ability and takes full advantage of your tighter steering radius. You could, alternatively or additionally, put the HD Overdrive gears in the front but the UD gears have a deeper mesh. I run Axial HD diff gears with stock ratio in the front and underdrive in the rear and it works great for me.

Here's a pic of my Wraith with the winch you mentioned on a ScalerFab stinger bumper. I struggled for a while getting the winch mounted to my liking so maybe this will give you some ideas.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
This is where I run all of my electronics.
Those of us (un)fortunate enough to have the original Wraith interior have very little room under the seats or console for electronics. There's some space for a dig servo but that's about it. I've contemplated putting a Spawn interior in mine so I have more mounting options but for now I prefer the scale look of the original.

By the way, the 5000mAh Venom battery will fit up front with room to spare, as you discovered. I run the 3s 5000mAh and it also fits, barely.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Great looking Wraith you built.Nice job.SKIDOO is where it's at!!!! LOL
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
To obtain a tighter steering radius you'll need Axial Universals (dogbones are limited to ~30° while universals are 50°)...

...with the winch you mentioned on a ScalerFab stinger bumper. I struggled for a while getting the winch mounted to my liking so maybe this will give you some ideas.
Thanks for all the info, especially about the universals. On my mental list

In terms of the bumper how did you mount your winch? Did you get the bumper with the winch lead mount on it or did you just the shackle add-on? Honestly like this bumper the best so far.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
In terms of the bumper how did you mount your winch? Did you get the bumper with the winch lead mount on it or did you just the shackle add-on? Honestly like this bumper the best so far.
The winch bolts directly to this bumper. You'll need to flip the winch plate around but that's trivial. I already had a fairlead so I opted to not get that option on the bumper.

I'm pretty happy with this bumper. It resolved my winch mounting and servo clearance problems quite nicely. My only complaint is that there is no place to mount the front lights.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The winch bolts directly to this bumper. You'll need to flip the winch plate around but that's trivial. I already had a fairlead so I opted to not get that option on the bumper.

I'm pretty happy with this bumper. It resolved my winch mounting and servo clearance problems quite nicely. My only complaint is that there is no place to mount the front lights.
Thanks for the info. In terms of the lights and the winch seems to be a common problem. I have some ideas of how I can mount my lights with that bumper already. Those ideas actually working out when I get the bumper... that's questionable!

Thanks again for the advice/help!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm going to try using the threaded LED holders (part number 8 in the pic) in the holes on the front of the bumper. I'll have to drill them out some and maybe trim the holders but they should point right where I need them.

Name:  AX80045A.PNG
Views: 1060
Size:  75.7 KB
Old 09-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm going to try using the threaded LED holders (part number 8 in the pic) in the holes on the front of the bumper. I'll have to drill them out some and maybe trim the holders but they should point right where I need them.

Attachment 326707
I honestly was thinking the same thing about those holes. I will try to mount them somewhere in the big round buckets they are in now. I'd like to see how you make out though if you try your idea!
Old 09-22-2015, 01:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I honestly was thinking the same thing about those holes. I will try to mount them somewhere in the big round buckets they are in now. I'd like to see how you make out though if you try your idea!
OK, I mocked it up and I like how it turned out! Made a whole thread out of it here: Inset lights installed in a ScalerFab Stinger Bumper
Old 09-22-2015, 01:52 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I have the BGR bumper on mine which has spot light type mounts for the stock light buckets but I wanted to run a light bar.

I have the GearHead Six shooter (2" long) https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...ctCode=GEA1149
and I used some thin off cuts of lexan bent around to saddle the tube bumper supports & some spare M2 screws & nylocs.
It's appearance is still a work in progress but functionally it's fine.
I think if I were to paint the saddles & the bumper black they'd virtually disappear.

altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

^ does that BGR bumper already have a place to mount a winch built in?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
^ does that BGR bumper already have a place to mount a winch built in?
No! You have to order that bumper with the winch plate. They come in both options with or without for the stinger and or factory trail bumpers.

Ooops, I just realized you were referring to his specific bumper and not in general. My bad!

Last edited by Revoasian; 09-23-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Mis read quote.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Another update...

This past weekend I spent some coin and got the warn winch from RC4WD with their mounting plate and wired controller. I have a newer wraith from Axial with the Tactic 300 controller that is setup for 3 channels. Installation of the winch was easy as all get out but the programming for the 3rd channel was a bit difficult due to the poor explanations in the radio's manual. Finally had to plug in a servo to my 3rd channel and program that properly. I was then able to plug in my winch and it worked great.

I did have to figure out something to do with my 2 front lights since I could not use them on the bumper anymore. Using some stuff from the parts tree I made some rock lights for the front. Not too pretty nor permanent but does the job for now.

One thing I will say is I am not too crazy about how far the bumper sticks out now and will eventually do something else for a bumper/winch setup.

Following are pictures of the setup with light placement and electronics setup. I used Command Strips Velcro and some good old wedging/friction to hold the winch controller in, hasn't moved a bit.

The whole winch installation is a bit hokey but I am actually please out how it turned out.

I still need to finish my inner fenders and also start sealing electronics. Then will be Axial Universals for better turning.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Update 11/22/15

1. The tactic 55 servo wasn't cutting it anymore, stepped up to Hitec 7955TG. Castle creations BEC is coming this week to be installed, will be set at 6.0 Volts.

2. Gear head bead lock rings were installed as well as RC4WD toyota style scale hubs (already torn up due to multiple installs/uninstalls )

3. I also started to do some tuning with the springs as I just got the spring assortment for my king shocks

4. RC4WD panhard and CMS kit was installed along with limiting straps

5. Custom hood pin setup using traxxas parts.

6. Crawler innovations double deuce 2 stage foams, mistakenly ordered 6.0 instead of 5.5 foams but the 6.0 are actually perfect for my wraith.

7. Scalerfab bumper is currently in the mail...

Attached Images

Cat's "Gravity" Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Legacy" a "shannon campbell inspired" TH build Rodamis Vaterra Twin Hammers 25 09-15-2016 09:44 AM
SCRCC Comp #4 "Gravity Master" JAN 24TH M_ENERGY Competitions 54 01-26-2015 07:46 AM
Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!" jkabee Axial SCX-10 128 03-24-2013 12:10 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM