Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Pro's and cons between vanquish ocp v2 axle housings and Currie axles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #1

Default Pro's and cons between vanquish ocp v2 axle housings and Currie axles.

I'm looking at buying a set of front and rear axle housings. I'm looking at either the Currie axles or the aluminum axle housings from vanquish. Which is the better option to go with and why

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
no__limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Pro's and cons between vanquish ocp v2 axle housings and Currie axles.

I went with the ocp v2 because of the one piece bearing retainer and easy access to remove the front cover.
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Pro's and cons between vanquish ocp v2 axle housings and Currie axles.

Well the pros and cons, the curries look really cool but have limited access to the diff gears for maintainance and are expensive. The Ver.2 OCP AR60 are still cool,just not as cool as the curries,have better access to the diff gears,are probably stronger sense it is a one piece housing, and are less expensive to build. Your choice, but I would probably do the Ver.2 unless you have to have the coolest on the block. There are other options such as SSD or GCM.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
RCC Addict

SSD gets my vote but be aware that the rear shafts are prone to bending. Cheap to replace but should be noted.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have both on my rigs. Yes, the Curries are very "trick" looking, but a pain to get inside to maintain. I have the first version of the VP OCP housings and they are absolutely bulletproof. I love them. I will be ordering a set of the SSD axle housings soon to compare.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The larger bearing in the V2 OCP is also a very big selling point.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yea, that big bearing on the vanquish OCP Ver.2 is why I will be putting one under a yeti very soon. The price difference if you are slowly building on a budget is also helpfull because all of the parts you already have will bolt up and as you upgrade if your stock parts are still good you have trail spares.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

I was looking at the bearing and thinking that would be a good thing. I have the stage one vanquish kit, their cms kit, and also the 5mm front shafts right now.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Having used stock plastic AR60 axles for a while and then aluminum axles, i went back to plastics, i have the Dlux big bearing mod in my AR60 with beef tubes and i can't see a reason besides looks to go with aluminum again

My very, very humble opinion
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I have both on my rigs. Yes, the Curries are very "trick" looking, but a pain to get inside to maintain. I have the first version of the VP OCP housings and they are absolutely bulletproof. I love them. I will be ordering a set of the SSD axle housings soon to compare.
With VP v1 axle housings, Beef Tubes can be used; I don't think you can with the v2 housings.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

I have a set of those now in factory axles, but since the axles are already aluminum would they really need the tubes?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

It's all about the weight distribution for crawling. If your just bashing or trailing, then the specific low weight that Beef Tubes add probably isn't required.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The vp v2 over curries for sure, bigger pinion bearing, one piece bearing retainers, thicker tubes for lock outs so they dont strip and now they make clamping lock outs too, make it super solid.

But, I went with SSD instead.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
The vp v2 over curries for sure, bigger pinion bearing, one piece bearing retainers, thicker tubes for lock outs so they dont strip and now they make clamping lock outs too, make it super solid.

But, I went with SSD instead.
Laughed pretty hard at this.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Pro's and cons between vanquish ocp v2 axle housings and Currie axles. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW CreationFab XR-10 width Splined Delrin tubes for Vanquish Currie housings! Chris_The_Battery_Man Axles, Trannys, T-case 9 08-09-2015 07:32 AM
Vanquish OCP axles mxturd Axial AX10 2nd-gen 3 03-24-2015 05:23 PM
Single motor? Or Axle mount? Pro's and cons. The Jackalope Newbie General 41 10-03-2013 06:09 PM