Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial transmission binds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Default Axial transmission binds

I stripped a gear in my tranny, so replaced both plastic gears with gear set AX80010. When I turn the gears by hand there is obvious binding at one, maybe two spots. I can see no problems with the gears themselves. Any suggestions to solve the binding would be appreciated. Thanks.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Default Re: Axial transmission binds

When you put the shafts back together with the screws the shafts aren't perfectly aligned. I noticed this when I replaced mine with the Axial steel gears. I had to chuck one end of this in my lathe or drill and fiddle with it to get them trued up. There's enough slop in the holes you have to get it centered or it will bind. Not for sure there all this way but sure was on mine.
ptcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:34 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I have 2 suggestions,
First it is possible to either have a piece of plastic flash still on the main gear under the output or to have not tightened the 3 screws evenly, both of which will have the outputs running slightly out of true.
2nd, and I think this is unlikely because I figure you've re-used the stock screws, but I once assembled a spare trans & the M2 screws I grabbed for the main gear had a very slightly larger head than the stock Axial, not so large they didn't fit but just large enough to distort the plastic gear slightly & induce a slight bind, only worked it out by opening the case & seeing the bind aligned with the screw.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Triple check all three gears to make sure there's not a small chunk of the broken teeth in them. It only takes a small chip from a broken tooth to bind the transmission.

I had the same centering issues mentioned with my Wraith and SCX10, I had a couple of small shafts and some spacers lying around that I used to keep the diff halves and diff gear centered.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Eric, that is exactly what the problem was. A small shaving from the plastic idler gear was found between the teeth of the metal input gear.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Eric, that is exactly what the problem was. A small shaving from the plastic idler gear was found between the teeth of the metal input gear.
It's a common problem when transmission gears get stripped, I usually scrub the case and all the internal parts clean before reassembly. Just in case there's a little something I may have missed.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial transmission binds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Binds up/no power.... KBR97 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 06-17-2014 06:38 AM
truck controlles itself when steering binds, why mudd_slinger Electronics 2 03-05-2012 07:58 AM
It official.. Mine binds too (big shocker) ericinMD Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 02-21-2010 07:39 PM
motor smokes when binds? Tklan Crawler Electronics 5 01-01-2010 12:37 AM