Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Watch the lipos!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Watch the lipos!

My wraith started to smoke then glow! Then full on fire! Pulled the hinge pins and ripped that sucker out of the rig! That was awesome!!

Bmelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Watch the lipos!

what happened? give us details. What brand LiPo is that?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

EXACTLY WHY I DO NOT RUN LIPOS !!! I had the same think happen to me once and destroyed my sc10 . Haven't run them since .
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Any damage to your rig? I've only lit one lipo before. It wasn't fun especially when you're with your kids. And they come home saying "mommy mommy, daddy's rc car was on fire, it was awesome."

Sc8 running 4s, with a 25t pinion. Doing some speed runs, dean's connector pooped the bed and melted, arched the battery, ripped it out the car, burst to flames when it hit the ground.

Haven't used dean's plugs since. 3.5 or 4mm hxt from now on.
Donkey_Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey_Punch View Post
Any damage to your rig? I've only lit one lipo before. It wasn't fun especially when you're with your kids. And they come home saying "mommy mommy, daddy's rc car was on fire, it was awesome."

Sc8 running 4s, with a 25t pinion. Doing some speed runs, dean's connector pooped the bed and melted, arched the battery, ripped it out the car, burst to flames when it hit the ground.

Haven't used dean's plugs since. 3.5 or 4mm hxt from now on.
Never smoked a lipo but I 2nd the Deans plus. I switched over to EC3 and love them.
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

The CI Carbon battery plate was still on fire after the battery was quickly yanked out. The hood and interior show some signs of melting as well (character). Some minor wire damage. Glad it didn't completely melt. My kids hand painted the body, so I'm especially happy it didn't go up in smoke!

Running the Tekin RSX with an 8.5 gen 2. Venom 3cell 5000 50C.

We were crawling / bashing hard up a hill. That hill is now called "Lipo Hill"!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking rig. Glad it survived.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb4pro View Post
EXACTLY WHY I DO NOT RUN LIPOS !!! I had the same think happen to me once and destroyed my sc10 . Haven't run them since .
You're missing out on much better performance. They do go up, but rarely compared to how many are in circulation. Take good care of them and buy decent brands and you won't likely have an issue.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've seen more people viciously injured by the old Sub C NiCAD and NiMh batteries. When those go off it's dangerous.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_f100 View Post
Never smoked a lipo but I 2nd the Deans plus.
Deans Ultra Plugs are fine, I've been using them since the early 90's in much more demanding applications without a problem. It's the cheap knock-off "T-plug" or "Deans style" connectors you have to avoid. Several battery manufactures and importers are using the cheaper plugs and they don't provide the low-loss, high current performance you get from a Deans plug. These knock-offs have contacts made of cheap, unplated brass while a true Deans Ultra Plug has pure copper contacts plated with actual gold (male plug) and silver (female plug). The Hobbico/Duratrax Star plugs are the same, gold and silver plated copper. The Traxxas plugs are gold plated copper.

You also have to be careful when buying the EC/HXT style bullet connectors, of the 8 different brands of EC/HXT connectors I've bought only two were actually gold plated and NONE of them were copper despite their descriptions. They were all solid brass, the six unplated EC/HXT connectors were simply pickled and passivated brass. They certainly shined like gold and a lot of people think they're buying gold plating, but acid tests proved otherwise.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Deans Ultra Plugs are fine, I've been using them since the early 90's in much more demanding applications without a problem. It's the cheap knock-off "T-plug" or "Deans style" connectors you have to avoid. Several battery manufactures and importers are using the cheaper plugs and they don't provide the low-loss, high current performance you get from a Deans plug. These knock-offs have contacts made of cheap, unplated brass while a true Deans Ultra Plug has pure copper contacts plated with actual gold (male plug) and silver (female plug). The Hobbico/Duratrax Star plugs are the same, gold and silver plated copper. The Traxxas plugs are gold plated copper.

You also have to be careful when buying the EC/HXT style bullet connectors, of the 8 different brands of EC/HXT connectors I've bought only two were actually gold plated and NONE of them were copper despite their descriptions. They were all solid brass, the six unplated EC/HXT connectors were simply pickled and passivated brass. They certainly shined like gold and a lot of people think they're buying gold plating, but acid tests proved otherwise.
Say all you want but the set that failed on me were Deans plugs. Came straight out of a Deans bag sold by RPP.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Is this not deemed total stupidity pulling a battery out that could flare or possibly mildly explode ? My slash had a 3 s flare. I let it get on with it, and afterwards believe it or not after fitting a new battery everything worked fine. Just smelt and was scorched .
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_f100 View Post
Say all you want.........................
Whine all you want, I've never seen a true Deans Plug fail without help. User errors, inexperienced installers, cheap/plumbing grade solder, weak soldering iron and/or cheap knock-off plugs. There was always a reason the connector failed, but it wasn't because it was Dean's. Bottom line, you did something wrong or didn't use Dean's male and female plugs.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Whine all you want, I've never seen a true Deans Plug fail without help. User errors, inexperienced installers, cheap/plumbing grade solder, weak soldering iron and/or cheap knock-off plugs. There was always a reason the connector failed, but it wasn't because it was Dean's. Bottom line, you did something wrong or didn't use Dean's male and female plugs.
Ok kid I forgot you knew all. My bad.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
MODERATOR™

I've seen three genuine Deans plugs fail.

Not due to user error, installation, cheap solder or weak iron. Or the person doing something wrong.

Last edited by EeePee; 10-05-2015 at 04:52 PM.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Seriously people? Everything will fail, thats just part of the hobby and same with everything else in the world. Just have to make sure your being careful and always watch this stuff closely.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I've been using Anderson PowerPoles, but have a few Deans plugs. Nothing wrong yet. Knock on wood
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Seriously people? Everything will fail, thats just part of the hobby and same with everything else in the world. Just have to make sure your being careful and always watch this stuff closely.

It's true noting in life is bulletproof. Not even the bullet.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
I'm an educated adult that knows his rig. I made an on the fly decision to yank the battery out. Having plenty of time under my belt with lipos, I knew what was happening.

Anyway, I found the cause. I was running last week and the mesh sounded tight. I adjusted and left the diff cover off to ensure it was right. Well the battery slipped back from some hard hits. Slid enough to contact the spur gear. Guess the gear ripped a hole in the side of the lipo. The put has hard markings on the front from running against something! Lesson learned!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Do we suppose that perhaps the 8.5T brushless (5350kv) of 3s loaded up hard crawling & climbing might have be the cause of overloading the lipo?
What the pinion/spur combo were you running out of curiosity?

On a side note, congratulations Tekin on the RSX holding onto that current draw & not going up in smoke first.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Watch the lipos! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compare the Zippy Compact Lipos to a few other lipos... Mdlopez1 Electronics 15 07-15-2013 06:35 PM
New on Lipos, how to no waste money in overpowered LIPOS. raolguio Electronics 6 11-03-2010 03:08 PM