Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My project build Blackout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My project build Blackout

Did a little testing with the lowered suspension. Not sure I'm a fan. I lost some flex and think maybe a longer shock is in order. Problem is gmade doesn't make any 110mm shocks. Not really a fan of the kings either. Anyone have any suggestions?
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

This has been my exact dilemma for a while now. I'm thinking of trying out the cap mod on a pair of Traxxas big bores. If I screw up or hate them at least I'm only out $20. I will say that I run them un modified on 3 of my rigs now and am extremely impressed with them. Can't believe how smooth they are and they fit Axial 14x70mm springs perfectly.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_Beef View Post
I had to put the servo on axle with lowslung gangster wraith. As its low it isn't noticeable but gives the extra clearance neededAttachment 328746

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I will always be jealous of this rig. You have an eye for cool.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Same here, I used to have a CMS, but it's better on the axle for performance and clearance.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Same here, I used to have a CMS, but it's better on the axle for performance and clearance.
If I can get some time I am going to try and get out in the fab shop at work and mill one up for the 7990th. If not I am going to try at modify the stock mount at home tonight and switch over.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Couldn't leave the parts painted black. I think the aluminum added some nice contrast.

Now I need to figure out something for the roof.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I guess the aluminum looks better after all. I stripped the rear cage of paint and reinstalled it. I am waiting on some parts from BGR,RPP and Locked up to show up. I got the trailbar front bumper that I am going to remove the winch mount from and try and tuck it a little closer to the body like the factory bumper. I finally installed the hood hinges but now I have to get a new hood because of the extra holes. Sometimes I wish I would think through things more lol.

The next step is going to be mounting a dig unit to the AX2. I've got a few ideas jut not sure how I want to do it yet. Then it will me more scale/appearance items. These Voodoo tires are working out well after all.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

The black and bare aluminum looks great together.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Great looking Wraith, man! I think those Motowork look sick, too! If you're considering new shocks, what about the ProLine Short Course ones? Don't know if they're 110mm long, but that's what a lot of others run with good results. Will likely go that route myself when I get back to my whatever you wanna call it at this point. It's no longer a wraith.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Great looking Wraith, man! I think those Motowork look sick, too! If you're considering new shocks, what about the ProLine Short Course ones? Don't know if they're 110mm long, but that's what a lot of others run with good results. Will likely go that route myself when I get back to my whatever you wanna call it at this point. It's no longer a wraith.

I got some longer rod ends for the XD's and that made them work.

I know what you mean. I think all that is left of my kit is the skid, body and part of the cage.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_f100 View Post
I got some longer rod ends for the XD's and that made them work.

I know what you mean. I think all that is left of my kit is the skid, body and part of the cage.
Only part of mine that's together at this point is the axles, skid, and links. Currently being converted to a Wroncho with a New Bright Jeep body. Trying to do a scale version of my 1:1....minus the wheels of course. Would likely be expensive to have a set custom made.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Only part of mine that's together at this point is the axles, skid, and links. Currently being converted to a Wroncho with a New Bright Jeep body. Trying to do a scale version of my 1:1....minus the wheels of course. Would likely be expensive to have a set custom made.

Now that Vaterra has the 68 f100 I may order the body and build a crawler version of my 1:1

Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Got an idea today at work and tried it out tonight. First a cut the skid plate at an angle where the lower links attach.

Then I rotated the vp links so the bends were vertical and reinstalled them. The notches allowed the ball ends to clear the skid plate without rubbing

Poof high clearance links

Working pretty well and adds a little more clearance to keep the links from dragging.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

More parts arrived today.

The locked up stuff is nice. I hope these fix my sloppy locker issue.

And BGR is always awesome.

These are my first parts from DMG. Look real good but I would have like to see a countersunk screw in the bottom of the skid. I may take care of that myself. I hope they work. My VP OCP 60's love to catch on rocks.

Last edited by 68_f100; 10-28-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #55
RCC Addict

FI Spools FTW!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Could you give me a list of the bgr stuff you used
Mitchell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell72 View Post
Could you give me a list of the bgr stuff you used
I have the KOA v2 fastback, V4 skiders, Trailbar front bumper, front and rear shock towers.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Got the housings apart and cleaned up. Ready to install the lockers. Love the ocp v2 housings from vp. That bigger bearing is holding up fine. The V9 had better be pretty sweet.

When they say press fit they mean it. These lockers are tight but it's all done and no slop. I dig the no slop part.

I removed the winch mount and shortened the bumper mounts enough to just clear the servo. Love the new bumper and the scale hubs are nice. The scale hardware should be here tomorrow. Props to lockedup for quality fit and finish.

The dmg stuff wasn't that impressive. I had to shim the front and remove some from the rear to get them on straight. I hope they work but they look like they might cause it to hang up more. I'll find out soon.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Locked Up scale hardware is nice. Perfect fit again. I am going to need a smaller 3mm driver to use the acorn nuts with the Motoworx center caps but they will be fine with the scale hubs from LU.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Just noticed you're running your diff cover upside down. Is that to clear the tierod at full lock? I was looking to get a couple of these covers which is why I ask. This build just keeps getting better. I vote you should definitely build a BGR chassis'd 2.2 because I can't.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote

My project build Blackout - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Blackout a good starter for kid? derekstadnick Non Crawler RC's 4 09-11-2015 09:20 PM
Are you ready for the Internet blackout? CrawlinMike Chit Chat 55 07-20-2012 10:14 PM
Blackout Crawln Coles Tamiya CR-01 12 07-20-2008 08:41 PM