Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Please help with my narrowed selection.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Please help with my narrowed selection.

OK I have a Wraith poison spyder that is fully stock. I'm looking for a low budget sensored setup and I've found the following but I don't know which is the best turn for me. I'd like faster than stock but nothing to ridiculous. (yes i've read the choose your motor sticky)

HobbyWing QuicRun 1/10 Brushless Sensored System 60A ESC w/ 13.5T 2500KV Motor & YA-0180 Fan Combo #CB0694
SKYRC Cheetah 1/10 60A Brushless ESC System Combo w/ Sensored 2590KV 13.5T Motor / Program Card #SK-300058-03
SKYRC Cheetah 1/10 60A Brushless ESC System Combo w/ Sensored 1870KV 17.5T Motor / Program Card #SK-300058-04

I also have read that with faster setups you need to upgrade the links so I found these.
for Wraith AX10 #AX30797, ,(AX30797) by Axial Aluminum Stage 1 Links Kit

I live in Canada so it's hard to find reasonable prices with cheap shipping so RC mart seems decent. Any other suggestions either for the same setup cheaper or a better setup for the same price?

Is my stock gearing ok or do I have to upgrade?
skiiermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Please help with my narrowed selection.

What battery are you using 7.4V or 11.1v (2s or 3s)?

on 3s the QuicRun combo will be about same as stock, the others will be slower. On 2s they'll be drastically slower than stock.
Best info I can find on the net says that a 20T brushed like the stock motor is around 3200kv, if you want to be faster than stock you need either more kv or more battery V.

All those esc in your chosen combos are going to struggle with the motor load of a Wraith.

My personal choice is an MMP & PRO4 3300kv on 3s.
There is only a couple of combos on there I can see that I'd even consider but I have no experience with them & I'd be Googling some more reviews if possible before I spent any money
Hobbywing XERUN 120A Brushless System ESC V2.1 w/ YR 540 Sensored 8.5T Motor #Champion Combo Set 120A 8.5T
OMG Aluminum Sensored Brushless 540 Motor 10.5T 3550kv w/ Thunder Power D-RUN 120A ESC Black Program Card #CB0810 (FREE SHIP), ,(CB0810)
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:09 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the response. I'll be running 2s. I was only looking at the turn of the motor I didn't realize the kv was the more important number.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiermike View Post
I didn't realize the kv was the more important number.

Then you didn't read the entire motor choice treat.. ;)

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/543778-best-all-around-brushless-setup-wraith-under$200.html

in this treat various options are given.
As stated there; Im happy with the Hobbyking (Turnigy) set up.
I went for the 3200KV version. If you want to stay closer to stock speed: lower KV's are available (3050) or play around with the gearing.
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I think i've decided on this esc Turnigy Trackstar 120A Turbo Sensored Brushless 1/12th 1/10th ESC

And will either of these two motors be a good fit?

Turnigy TrackStar 8.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 3983KV

Turnigy TrackStar 10.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 3730KV (ROAR approved)

If so is the 120A overkill since the max pull is 45A?
Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

45A is what it pulls running flat out in normal running on the flat, start really loading it with a hill climb, or nearly stall it with a wheel in a crevice & it'll draw more.
We do things with motors in crawlers that are outside really what some electronics are designed for.
Your still in the cheap range of esc there (an MMP is $130) over spec'ing it gives you the best chance of it surviving what we do to them.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I was able to pick up a combo off of the for sale forum here.

I got a Mamba Max Pro with a redline 10.5t motor.

Now I need my gearing as all I have is stock. I read the sticky thread and think that my best bet is 56/14 32p.

The problem is I'm having a hard time finding a 14t 32p pinion. There are tons of 56t 32p gears.

Is there another option for gearing? (remember i'm in Canada)
Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Which 10.5t motor?
Looking up say Tekin redline 10.5t it says they're 4550kv motor, I'd be looking for an 11 or 12 pinion myself.

Pfft in Canada, at least you're on the same continent, not half a world away lol
Old 10-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I think it's the first gen which is 4500 kv. My plan is to adjust my throttle curve so that I'm only ever using 80 percent of the motor. Should help in run cooler as well.

Will a 11 or 12 make a noticeable difference? Does it have to be 32p for the pinion or is that only for the spur gear?

The reason I made reference to Canada is because the shipping is outrageous. Most places want around 10 bucks to ship a little pinion.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Spur and pinion pitch have to match. Otherwise, they wouldn't mesh. With that high of a KV motor I would try to get your gearing as low as possible. You should try a 60 tooth spur which can still fit under the stock cover and a 9 or 10 tooth pinion. 56/14 will be way faster than what you want and won't have the best control crawling. I'd really try and sell that motor and get something more in the 3000kv range and yes, any of these choices will be much faster than stock. If you do stay with the motor you have, stay with 2s and just gear down as much as you can.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 10-18-2015 at 10:33 AM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I'll stick out that motor set up for now because I do plan to adjust the throttle curve.

I will gear down like you suggested.

Edit - I forgot to mention. The reason I went with that high of a motor is because I asked somewhere on the forum and was told the stock motor is somewhere around 3200 kv and I needed to go higher than that for more speed. I can always get another sensored motor down the road if this isn't any good.

Last edited by skiiermike; 10-18-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Let me give you this example. When I went from the stock 20t brushed motor to my Holmes puller pro 3500kv motor I easily picked up twice the wheel speed and that was with the MMP limiting throttle to 90%. Your 4500 is going to be very fast and not crawl that well unless you drop gearing substantially.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Let me give you this example. When I went from the stock 20t brushed motor to my Holmes puller pro 3500kv motor I easily picked up twice the wheel speed and that was with the MMP limiting throttle to 90%. Your 4500 is going to be very fast and not crawl that well unless you drop gearing substantially.
That's very good info and that's what I thought based on my experience with aircraft motors. In one of my other threads someone completely contradicted that and it's what I was forming my opinion on.

Knowing all this. I'm planning on adjusting my throttle curve so that I have a slow start and it limits quite low.

If I do that what will be the best gearing for me?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

It's going to be fast for sure but on 2's it won't be crazy at all. You're going to want to put a metal idler and lower gear in the transmission in the very near future. I don't see a point in limiting throttle at all though. It's pretty simple to just NOT squeeze the trigger fully unless you think you need to.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #15

Between the dollar dropping and shipping costs, RC got a lot more expensive. I'm lucky enough to live near the boarder and can just go across and pick things up.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Caswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

OK so the more reading I do the more it seems like I should stick with a nylon spur gear (any input?) Supposed to be an easy replacement and first point of failure instead of replacing everything.

Does the yeti spur fit the wraith? The only 32p 60t spur I can find is for the Yeti.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Only reason I made reference to Canada being at least on the same continent is I am literally half a world a way, to post a pinion down here is $10 if we want it between 7-14 days, can post from A-main for $2 if we don't don't mind waiting a month.
Nylon spurs are cheap & easily replaced, except on the Wraith, that's a fricken pain to get to, need to drop the skid to get to it which makes it hard to change on the trail, just something to bear in mind.

Yeti spurs fit the Spawn but not the other Wraiths, they have a different slipper & you can't just change slipper because the gearbox top input shaft is different.
This one should fit the Wraith PS slipper hub, buy a couple to have a spare on hand.
Kimbrough Spur Gear 32P 60T
Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
Only reason I made reference to Canada being at least on the same continent is I am literally half a world a way, to post a pinion down here is $10 if we want it between 7-14 days, can post from A-main for $2 if we don't don't mind waiting a month.
Nylon spurs are cheap & easily replaced, except on the Wraith, that's a fricken pain to get to, need to drop the skid to get to it which makes it hard to change on the trail, just something to bear in mind.

Yeti spurs fit the Spawn but not the other Wraiths, they have a different slipper & you can't just change slipper because the gearbox top input shaft is different.
This one should fit the Wraith PS slipper hub, buy a couple to have a spare on hand.
Kimbrough Spur Gear 32P 60T
Thanks, the shipping to where I live in Canada is the same so I feel your pain.

Knowing that it will be a pain to change should I go with a steel gear? If I do is there an alternative to what will break so it's and easier repair?

My plan was to go with steel transmission gears and a nylon spur gear as the week point (originally was going to go steel but read you need a week point).

Old 10-19-2015, 12:05 AM   #19
RCC Addict

It's only a pain to change on the trail, having said that I've never had to change a nylon spur at a comp in my 2.2 shafty or on the trail in either of my SCX10 or Wraith (Wraith now has steel as it U4 races more than trails)

Get a spare so you don't have to wait when you need it but I wouldn't stress too heavily over it.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

One question I forgot to ask. If I go 14/56 32p is that going to give me good speed compared to stock?

Please help with my narrowed selection. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinion selection sierradmax General Crawlers 1 12-11-2008 04:42 AM
narrowed axials and narrowed M2K's halfcab Tires and Wheels 11 08-05-2007 07:28 PM
Motor selection Zippin Electronics 9 09-21-2006 06:46 PM