Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith ESC Drag Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

Default Wraith ESC Drag Brake

Guys,

how is it going? i am new to the crawling world, and so far love it. A question i have and hopefully I am posting in right area, is that when i am on a steep incline or decline the Wraith keeps going without any throttle control, is this indicating ESC programming? also while on flat surface if I am going full throttle forward and hit reverse it doesnt just stop but coasts and wont reengage throttle until i put throttle mid way and than reengage.

any help would be appreciated.

So far I have replaced batteries in transmitter, and have a fully charged battery in the truck.

Thanks

Arslan D
Semper Fi
AlphaDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith ESC Drag Brake

This is the default behavior out of the box, and both are programmable on the ESC. Take a look at this Axial blog post on the AE-2 ESC. You'll want to refer specifically to sections 2. Drag Brake and 3. Brake / Reverse Type. I would recommend getting a CastleLink so you can adjust these settings via computer - it's much easier than doing it manually.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
This is the default behavior out of the box, and both are programmable on the ESC. Take a look at this Axial blog post on the AE-2 ESC. You'll want to refer specifically to sections 2. Drag Brake and 3. Brake / Reverse Type. I would recommend getting a CastleLink so you can adjust these settings via computer - it's much easier than doing it manually.
Mike,

Thank you for your response. I looked on Axials site and they indicate that the ESC by default is set up for 100% Drag brake, which to me would make sense because prior to today if i climbed with it it would not roll, and the throttle response was fine. You still bring a valid point maybe something got hosed up and now its not performing as previously. I will look into getting a CastleLink and go from there.

Thanks again

Arslan
Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
Mike,

Thank you for your response. I looked on Axials site and they indicate that the ESC by default is set up for 100% Drag brake, which to me would make sense because prior to today if i climbed with it it would not roll, and the throttle response was fine. You still bring a valid point maybe something got hosed up and now its not performing as previously. I will look into getting a CastleLink and go from there.

Thanks again

Arslan
Check you're throttle trim on youre controler and make sure it is centerd.
0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:01 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0311 View Post
Yup, it might just be the throttle trim on the transmitter. On the AX-3 transmitter the throttle trim zero is at the 9:00 position. If that was OK try going through the throttle endpoint calibration again.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0311 View Post
Quote:
Yup, it might just be the throttle trim on the transmitter. On the AX-3 transmitter the throttle trim zero is at the 9:00 position. If that was OK try going through the throttle endpoint calibration again.
Thanks guys. So i checked that as well, and its roughly at 9:00 on the transmitter. What is strange is i just tested the truck and it is functioning like normal. Only thing i can think of is when i ran through about 3'' of water and maybe sprayed the ESC as i know it is not waterproof. Will test further.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The stock esc is not waterproof!
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Glad to hear it's working OK now. Water in the electronics can cause all sorts of problems. There are many threads on waterproofing and, IMO, conformal coating is the best if you can access the circuit board.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlCrest View Post
The stock esc is not waterproof!
Quote:
Glad to hear it's working OK now. Water in the electronics can cause all sorts of problems. There are many threads on waterproofing and, IMO, conformal coating is the best if you can access the circuit board.
Yeah i know that the AE-2 is not waterproof, might upgrade to the AE-5 as it is waterproof. Hopefully the AE-5 is a good choice?

Yeah i will use liquid tape or PCB Lacquer to waterproof it.

I have tried searching on here what would be a good upgrade to a wraith MOTOR/ESC, am i missing it somehwere? I want to stay brushed motor for sure.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Check out Harley's sticky in the Wraith forum about motor combos.
LGrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGrocks View Post
Check out Harley's sticky in the Wraith forum about motor combos.
Thanks, yeah i read through it very informative. I never realized how involved this hobby can get.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #12

I second getting a castle link. It is fun to tune the settings. I got a bunch of my stuff used, and after a few attempts at going through the settings without castle link, I will say it was 20 bucks well spent.
KEVLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVLAR View Post
I second getting a castle link. It is fun to tune the settings. I got a bunch of my stuff used, and after a few attempts at going through the settings without castle link, I will say it was 20 bucks well spent.
I must specify I have a Castle MMP ESC, not sure how castle link will work with your ESC.
KEVLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #14

So I took the wraith completely apart and wanted to test just the motor on its own. And sure enough it acts the same way. So I installed a brand new battery never used issue was gone. I installed my previously used and recharged full battery issue came back. I have a HobbyWing 1060 ESC coming got it for $16

Wraith ESC Drag Brake - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC w/drag brake on/off RiceBurner Electronics 1 12-01-2012 12:41 AM
Esc with drag brake.......which one for less $$ Siccmade Electronics 23 11-19-2012 09:15 PM
what esc has the best strongest drag brake? nitrorube Electronics 12 01-31-2010 04:19 PM
3S esc with drag brake? STANG KILLA SS Electronics 25 09-21-2009 11:58 PM