Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Brand new and purchased Spawn kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Brand new and purchased Spawn kit

Hey all. I recently came back to rc and purchased my son's some slash cars. I am more interested in scale and crawling. After doing a ton of research and looking here I purchased a Spawn kit from my lhs.

They suggested the following parts to go with my kit and I am wondering if any of you guys/gals with more experience could tell me if I made good decisions or should I change anything.

Spawn kit
Savox sc1232sg servo
Axial 27t motor
Axial aluminum servo horn 25t
Axial ae-5 waterproof esc
Castle 10 amp bec
dx2e specktrum radio

The guy at the hobby store that helped me was awesome. He has a spawn rtr though so he wasn't sure on some of the parts and said if I found anything better I could always bring these back and he could get me whatever I needed.

I plan on running 2s lipo but haven't figured out which battery to buy. I did pick up the hitec x2 multi-charger.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
tvaclavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brand new and purchased Spawn kit

I like venom batteries, they have a "lifetime" warranty that I just took advantage of actually. I had a battery puff up on me and after a bit of hassle they ended up sending me an upgraded 3S replacement as opposed to the less expensive 2S I sent them.

I would highly recommend spending a little more and going with a Holmes Hobbies ESC and motor. This is one of the best reasons to buy a kit, so you can put better than stock electrics in your build.

A BEC is a very good idea.

I like Hitec servos but you will get many suggestions on this topic. Look for something in the 300+ oz/in range or more. 400+ oz/in is my minimum criteria and is not overkill by any means.

Looks like you're off to a good start, good luck and read all the stickies at the top of this page. Tons of great info.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

depending on your motor choice I would suggest upgrading to the metal trans gears when you assemble the kit. Peace of mind on a mild motor and a must-do for any real power. Axial, Robinson Racing and Hot racing all have metal trans gears available.
YJ4Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Would you recommend upgrading the ae-5 esc to something better? Do I really need a $100 esc? I'm going to return the motor and get a better one. Picked up the bec and I'm going to drop the extra money to get the hitec servo. This hobby is expensive!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaclavek View Post
This hobby is expensive!
lol its only money.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'll put it this way. There is a significant and worthwhile difference between a $35 ESC and a $100 ESC. If you've had both you definitely understand. If you've only had the cheap one you will understand when you upgrade.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I'll put it this way. There is a significant and worthwhile difference between a $35 ESC and a $100 ESC. If you've had both you definitely understand. If you've only had the cheap one you will understand when you upgrade.
Based on hours of reading posts here I think I found a good combination for the motor and esc...so I am returning the ae-5 and the stock motor and getting a HH br-xl waterproof esc and one of their torquemaster 27t motors.

I need to get a servo...there are so many recommendations it is hard to decide. Do I need to go waterproof if I plan on running it around water? I believe the wraith is "waterproof" but I don't know if that means I can just get a normal servo. Or would it pay to spend the extra and get something waterproof. Seems like Hitec is the way to go for servos. Any other thoughts? At this point $100 seems to be the price point for performance so that would be where I would like to be. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Waterproof can only apply to each individual electronic component like ESC, servo, motor, etc. You can order the Holmes ESC waterproofed for an extra $10 or do it yourself with some corrosion X. Servos are waterproofed by using watertight cases and seals so you'll need to look for a waterproof servo. Again, try to at least find a servo with 300+ oz/in of torque. I'm not sure Hitec offers a waterproof servo with a high torque rating so you might be looking elsewhere. A lot of guys here on the forums run Savox with good results and they are a bit cheaper.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Based on hours of reading posts here I think I found a good combination for the motor and esc...so I am returning the ae-5 and the stock motor and getting a HH br-xl waterproof esc and one of their torquemaster 27t motors.

I need to get a servo...there are so many recommendations it is hard to decide. Do I need to go waterproof if I plan on running it around water? I believe the wraith is "waterproof" but I don't know if that means I can just get a normal servo. Or would it pay to spend the extra and get something waterproof. Seems like Hitec is the way to go for servos. Any other thoughts? At this point $100 seems to be the price point for performance so that would be where I would like to be. Thanks for all the advice!
I run Hitec servos and love them, but if you're looking for water proof you might take a look at Futaba. Most of their servos are water proof. They don't necessarily advertise them that way, but if you look at the Futaba website and look at the specs of the servos, most of them are marked as water proof.
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I was happy with my AE-5 ESC until I picked up an AE-2. I was happy with that until I got a Mamba Max Pro. The amount of tuning that you can do with a higher end ESC is worth the $$.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #11
RCC Addict

You have the right idea for your power plant. While you're at it, though, give the Holmes Trailmaster servo a good look, too. Torque for days and right at your $100 price point with shipping. Waterproof, all metal gears.....pretty hard to beat for the money. I have one in my Yeti and it's a beast!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
You have the right idea for your power plant. While you're at it, though, give the Holmes Trailmaster servo a good look, too. Torque for days and right at your $100 price point with shipping. Waterproof, all metal gears.....pretty hard to beat for the money. I have one in my Yeti and it's a beast!
I looked at that but it has been discontinued and is no longer available. ☹
Old 11-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
I looked at that but it has been discontinued and is no longer available. ☹
Wow....didn't see that one coming.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, spawn, wraith

Brand new and purchased Spawn kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti kit or Wraith Spawn kit? The Dark Knight Axial Yeti 3 09-25-2015 09:09 AM
At it again with a spawn kit 63comet Axial Wraith 8 09-07-2015 07:39 PM
just purchased the tf2 kit with the mohave body set 1320king RC4WD Trail Finder 2 19 07-31-2014 11:56 AM
Found, Purchased, and In Use- Duratrax Body Mount Kit A+ Krawlin General Crawlers 10 01-03-2008 05:24 PM