Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: wheel weight? how much is too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default wheel weight? how much is too much?

I just bought a spawn kit after having been away from RC for years, my point is. I built up my wheel with weights on an alloy beadlock and it weighs 530 grams which is well over a pound, is that too heavy for a wraith wheel? just looking for opinions before assembling the other three. thanks
BoredGord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: wheel weight? how much is too much?

Yes. Remove it all and put the wheels back together. Your axles, wheel bearings and knuckles will actually stay in one piece.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Knuckle weights are the best way of adding low, front end weight that not going to kill your driveline components and bearings.

Knuckle Weights | Product Categories | RcBros Hobbies
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The answer to that is largely personal taste, but there are a few things to keep in mind. If you built your wraith for speed at all then you don't really want lots of weight in the wheels. Heavy wheels on a high speed rig will hurt the handling and make it very difficult for the suspension to do it's job. If you are only doing slow crawling then heavy wheels can be pretty helpful depending on the terrain. However, those heavy wheels will put a lot of extra strain on the steering and drive. If you're going to run that much weight you need to make sure you have a pretty beefy servo (and bec) and if you haven't already upgraded gears, drive shafts, etc., you probably will in the not too distant future if you are heavy handed with the throttle. Although, if you drive with a little finesse and restraint even the stock drive parts should last a while. That's harder than it sounds though. Oh and I guess I'm assuming you have an aluminum servo horn. If you built it with the kit supplied plastic horn, that thing will last all of about 1/2 second (if you're lucky) with those heavy wheels.
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have alloy c's and knuckles, MIP driveshafts, a 45turn brushed handwound and this rig will be used for crawling, I haven't yet chosen a servo, but I do of course have an external bec.
BoredGord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

530 sounds a bit like the new definition of overkill imo....
150 even should be enough i guess. The strain, the tension must be enormous with all that weight.
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

Running 1 pound in each was the norm for quite a while.

Then slowly it has been reduced.

No denying the added grip though.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #8

Once upon a time... I took a bunch of spare 1:1 tire weights (used for balancing tires on real cars) and put 4 or 5 of each inside each of my tires. I did my best to keep them evenly spread, and after 5 minutes of cruising around my backyard I busted a knuckle and C-hub....it was definitely overkill, and I quickly learned that unbalanced weighted tires + almost any amount of wheelspeed = a bad combination! Ha ha, I don't know what I really expected to happen...but learned my lesson nonetheless!
Metalhed2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

I had two full wraps of tire weights around the front wheels. 7.5 ounces in each front. Never broke a Losi part. The Berg had a full pound in each front. Never broke.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

any weight is too much imo. Many other ways to add weight down low.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I run 8oz. each wheel up front and 4oz. each wheel out back on my wraith with aluminum beadlocks. Never had any issues with breakage, going on 3 yrs. now. Climbs rocks like a goat and works great in comps. Its not a speed demon by all means but does great low speed rock crawling. Total weight on my wraith is just under 12lbs.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #12

a pound per wheel is way too much my opinion any wheel weight is not good weight because it is all rotational what you need is non-rotational weight. like beef tubes or metal axle housings metal chubs, etc. if it is rotational weight I am trying to remove it not at it
NateR OG E-revo is offline   Reply With Quote

wheel weight? how much is too much? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheel weight vs knuckle or axle weight vs creative weight distribution tech712 Axial SCX-10 16 11-04-2014 01:04 PM
Wheel weight vs 1:1 should scalers use wheel weight juswin24 1.9 Scale Rigs 29 04-08-2012 07:51 PM
Wheel weight / axle weight advice JeffK11 RC4WD Bully 6 03-15-2012 03:30 PM
Wheel weight Vs Axle weight. Simon.O. General Crawlers 33 02-15-2010 07:01 PM
Wheel weight vs. chassis weight ratio OR spung/unsprung bias solomon7 Tires and Wheels 15 08-02-2008 06:26 PM