Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Brushless sensored wraith acting funny after months of no use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Default Brushless sensored wraith acting funny after months of no use

So I have the wraith spawn. After going through a few esc's, motors, I ended up with a mamba max pro and a sensored turnigy motor. Last time I used it, it was all dialed in, creeped along like a pro, no cogging, etc. Life happens and haven't used the truck in about 6 months. Went on a camping trip a few days ago, and sense I knew it would be a hilly , rocky area I brought the truck out of hibernation. It was working decent, but I noticed it had some cog to it that wasn't there before. Didn't run it much because of that. Today in the backyard, was trying to run it some on my rock pile and it was cogging like crazy. Brought it in, updated the firmware, reset everything to defaults, re calibrated throttle on esc, and then re did my castle settings. Took it back out, and for about 30 secs it will crawl great, no cogging, creeps along at a snails pace, but after that 30 secs the throttle gets super jumpy. It turns into basically no throttle to 40% throttle. Have to unplug the batt, and reinitialize to get another 30 secs of proper performance. Any ideas? I've never used the stock brushed setup it came with but i'm getting tempted to just scrap the sensored BL motor journey. I did make sure the sensor cable was fully seated if that helps any. I went brushless on this truck from the get-go just from the problems I've had with brushed setup's on previous trucks in the past, but thus far, I've spent more on just trying to get a brushless setup working than what the truck itself is worth. I know castle makes good esc's and im still using a "cheap" motor, but I'm hesitant to drop another 100+ for a name brand motor only to have the same problem.

Last edited by stingeragent; 11-15-2015 at 09:29 PM.
stingeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Brushless sensored wraith acting funny after months of no use

Calibrated your radio right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Yes it was calibrated. Truck was working perfect when I put it in storage. I have dedicated radios for all my ground based stuff, so the radio and truck haven't been touched. As said, I recalibrated it today, just to make sure something crazy didn't happen but to no avail.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Sounds like the sensor wire is malfunctioning. Check for breaks / corrosion. Try without the sensor wire. Then with. See if there is a difference.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Will do. The sensor wire is a cheapo one from hobbyking. I have two of them but I didn't try and switch it out yet. I lost one of the stupid wheel pins today after pulling off all 4 tires, so I'll probably stop at the LHS tomorrow to get a new pin and get a good quality sensor cable. That may not be the problem, IDK. Have just had the worst luck with this truck. Unrelated to my original post, but does anyone know what the wheel pin dimensions are or the part # ? I took the wheels off to replace the springs with some softer ones that have also been sitting NIP for the last 6 months. This truck really needs hexes. Almost impossible to tell if you have the wheel seated on the pin or not. If not, you go drive it and the wheel falls off and the pin is gone.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The Axial wheel pin is AX31028 - 2.0x11mm, if you can't find it from Axial another brand the same size will obviously work.

Does sound suspiciously like a sensor issue. Did you get the rig wet at all last time out?
Corrosion of the pins/sockets will cause these kind of gremlins.
You don't say it was a WP motor & if not the sensor boards can be temperamental if they've got wet.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

what type of battery are you using and how was it stored?
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
RCC Addict

These sensor connections are touchy. Pull them out, clean them off, and reseat them.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

the wraith is mad at you for not giving it enough attention.
try a bottle of wine and some flowers.

third vote for bad sensor wire
crashtestheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

LOL. Well crap, went to hobbytown today and completely forgot to get the sensor wire. I'll have to try again tomorrow. I did remember the wheel pin though thankfully.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Try just unplugging and plugging the cable a few times. Or clean all the contacts
crashtestheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

There has to be a problem with the sensor wire. I to have the same problems occasionally where I get cogging out of nowhere. Those pins are very small and only takes very little corrosion to cause a connection problem. Make sure the sensor wire is seated evenly too. Sometimes I run through weeds and brush and that stuff tugs on the sensor wire slightly. I want to make a cover for the back of the motor this winter. I have a mmp and tekin roc412 btw.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless sensored wraith acting funny after months of no use - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sensored acting like sensorless minicrawlerguy530 Electronics 11 04-04-2013 01:11 PM
Electronics acting funny reservedpuppet Arizona 13 03-04-2013 10:34 PM
RCC is acting funny losikid Comments, Suggestions, and Help 9 10-04-2011 08:15 PM
Servo Acting Funny notez2beat Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 01-18-2010 01:53 PM
Has your dog been acting funny? F250 Chit Chat 2 12-12-2007 07:04 PM