Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Heavy Metal Wraith (real steel caged)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Heavy Metal Wraith (real steel caged)

i was getting pretty bored with the wraith again and the lack of something with speed...so the wraith cage came off and went onto a cheap arse hobbyking 2wd sct truck (i love the wraith cage but it needs to go fast and this way it does).

i started out not really sure what i was going to build just been at home and not offshore working with the oil prices i can only build so many car trailers before iget over that!!! i was going to try and get a big scale hard body and just build a chassis, then it went to building a formula offroad truck and then back to a crawler...i dont have the money to spend on expensive parts so this wont be a high dollar truck and it is in real need of new axles but they will do for now.

while i know steel is going to be heavy its what i have to work with and i have my mig etc so its all there. where im at at the moment its not overly heavy as i used to run 2x big hardcase 5000+ batteries for long run time.

but anyway pics of where im at...

and everyone always wants the flex shots...

i had the make sure i had enough room for the servo at full bump so frame rail x-member is hooped

rear of the frame so far

skidtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Heavy Metal Wraith (real steel caged)

Wow! Awesome work! Can't wait to see where this one goes...
RMNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Nice job. Better than 98% of what has been on RCC in the last year.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks it's the 1st rc frame/cage ive ever done. Id really like to do it brazed or in aluminum but I don't have the gear to do it and I haven't done much work with either of them. Ill admit the shock mounts look out of place but how they are I can still drill more holes to mount shocks.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks stout and aggressive, I'm loving it.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

im going to change the front shock towers today so will post pics of what i come up with. i dont like the size of the tires i really want something around 120-130mm OD but there isnt much in 2.2 sizes the only one i like is the rc4wd dune tire which suits what im wanting it to look like anyhow. there are heaps of 1.9's in the size i want but im unsure if they will work with my front knuckles...i think a 1.9 rim size would look better also cos 2.2 look like 20's. i cant afford to buy wheels and tires at the moment so that will have to wait until i go back to work.

im also thinking it needs the likes of trailing arms with double rear shocks

Last edited by skidtoy; 11-19-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

right more pics made the new front shock hoops and they look alot better, i also made a front grill for it...im a jeep guy so it suits. needs different wheels/tires but anyhow pics...

im going to put some radio gear in it and try it out before i paint it to make sure i dont want to change anything then it will get a coat of black.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Nice job on the cage. What kind of welder did you use?
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

pardon my ignorance guys, but what type of steel are you using for the tube steel chassis?

I just started in the rc crawler world, but i'm no n00b to the offroading and crawling scene. I normally build my cages out of 1.75x.120 D.O.M. and i use a RogueFab tube bender to make my bends.

Obviously none of this is relevant in the rc world, but thought i'd give some background of my hobby. thanks!
rmKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmKrawler View Post
pardon my ignorance guys, but what type of steel are you using for the tube steel chassis?

I just started in the rc crawler world, but i'm no n00b to the offroading and crawling scene. I normally build my cages out of 1.75x.120 D.O.M. and i use a RogueFab tube bender to make my bends.

Obviously none of this is relevant in the rc world, but thought i'd give some background of my hobby. thanks!
You can use automotive 3/16 brake tube, but it's prone to bending and creasing when being used / worked with. I use a solid rod available at any hardware store. The chosen diameter depends on what I'm wanting to use it for.

---------------------------------

Personally I think the wheels / tires you're using at the moment look scale for a jeep rock bouncer / crawler. I do like the new front shock mounts, much better than the old.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
You can use automotive 3/16 brake tube, but it's prone to bending and creasing when being used / worked with. I use a solid rod available at any hardware store. The chosen diameter depends on what I'm wanting to use it for.

---------------------------------

Personally I think the wheels / tires you're using at the moment look scale for a jeep rock bouncer / crawler. I do like the new front shock mounts, much better than the old.
thanks! i'll probably use solid rod, as i'm really hard on stuff. I tend to drive my jeep like an ultra4 car, and it's spilling over in the RC world. already spun ring & pinion, servo horn, and transmission gears in my week old wraith.

as was said before what welder are you guys using? I have a hobart 110v, and a millermatic 211
rmKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Nice job on the cage. What kind of welder did you use?
Im using a boc 180 mig. I use it for everything anything under a 180 mig is abit pointless because it doesn't have enough grunt for everyday work

Last edited by skidtoy; 11-21-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmKrawler View Post

The round bar is 4mm solid and the square is 6mm solid from memory. Im trying to find square tube in a small size to make frame rails from. This is the 1st rc frame/cage ive built but ill be making more after this.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Get some shocks with some up travel too.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:24 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Yea those shocks are abit crap dont hold oil at all. They are the ones where you can run them to droop or have up travel either way they are pretty crap they are just ones I used to mock it up I might get something more scale otherwise the axial ones will do for now.

Last edited by skidtoy; 11-21-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

so ive been doing some body panels on and off last few days and have just put some paint on the frame so i might actually get to try it out tonight or over next couple days.

pic of body panels, hood has a raised center to match the hoops all made out of auto body panel steel.

ive also brought some 1.9 wheels and tires to see if they look more scale otherwise im not sure what tires i will run on it because i want something with a smaller OD than most of the 2.2 tires

Heavy Metal Wraith (real steel caged) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best winch for a heavy metal wraith?? BlkCherry92XJ Axial Wraith 3 09-13-2015 06:18 PM