Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobby Motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Holmes Hobby Motors

After a lot of research and reading about how great the new Holmes brushless motors are in the Wraith, I'm finally going to pull the trigger and buy their waterproof combo The only thing is I haven't found anything about the Puller XL motor. Has anyone put the XL motor in their Wraith? I saw that it's a drop in for a Yeti but wondering who has put it in their Wraith.

Cheers in advance,

Hans
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Holmes Hobby Motors

The XL in a Wraith is going to be insane; the standard Puller Pro is more than enough motor. It'll fit but you have to trim the upper link mount on the skid.

Last edited by mikebecher; 12-01-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: correction - upper link mount (thanks HansB2)
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think the XL will hit the upper link mount.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yeah the puller pro XL will find weakness in the drivetrain fast. Make sure everything is pretty bombproof before running that bad boy especially if you're going 3s. Another thing to keep in mind is the 5mm shaft as opposed to the 3mm on the standard and stubby. Fit is relative. You most definitely will need to remove quite a bit of the right rear upper link mount like Mike said. I actually had to remove about 1/16 of an inch when I just ran the standard size. Post video when you get it going.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Shaving a little bit I'm totally okay with. There is more than enough meat there for the screw to grab a hold. Unfortunately I will be running it on 2s to start with till I can get new batteries, shouldn't take long though to get a couple 3s batteries. I too hope that my drivetrain can hold up, the part I'm sure the first thing to go will be the stock locker. I have MIP shafts, HD gears, Axial Uni's, Robinson Racing steel tranny gears and I'm pretty sure they will hold up for a little bit lol and I also need to get new 32p pinion and spur.
Thanks guys
Old 12-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Is crawling a priority? Holmes has said the XL doesn't start as smooth as the standard Puller.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The 540 is overkill in many ways, the XL is twice as overkill. 540 is what I would recommend. Starts smoother, mounts right up, isn't so heavy.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #8

I'm running the Trailmaster Pro 3300kv and the BLE Pro (both waterproof) and personally I love this set up!
I have much the same drive train upgrades as you do. For my style of running (80% crawling/20% trail) this setup is the best I've found with flawlessly smooth startup and great top end. The puller is supposed to be an awesome motor too I've never tried it.
Either way, go Holmes and enjoy!
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
I'm running the Trailmaster Pro 3300kv and the BLE Pro (both waterproof) and personally I love this set up!
I have much the same drive train upgrades as you do. For my style of running (80% crawling/20% trail) this setup is the best I've found with flawlessly smooth startup and great top end. The puller is supposed to be an awesome motor too I've never tried it.
Either way, go Holmes and enjoy!
I've got the Puller Pro 3500 paired with an AX2 transmission and it has so much range I can't use it all. Running a 60:10 spur to pinion the final drive in low is 94:1 and crawling is beyond smooth. I can almost turn the wheels a lug at a time. In high it's too fast at full throttle and difficult to control. If I had gotten the Puller Pro before the AX2 I would not have felt the need for more range and just stuck with the stock tranny (with steel gears of course!)

I can't praise the Puller Pro enough - it's just an awesome motor! I'll never run anything else, at least not until JRH builds something better, if that's even possible
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The 540 is overkill in many ways, the XL is twice as overkill. 540 is what I would recommend. Starts smoother, mounts right up, isn't so heavy.

LOL If the owner of the company is suggesting a certain motor, you'd better listen!
Thank you John for your input. I will go with the 540 instead of the XL. I will be doing about 70/30 of crawling/bashing so a smoother start up will be the smarter choice.

And thank you Mike and Beorn, it's encouraging to read how much you guys like Holmes motors. I wish I could order the parts right now but sadly it's going to have to wait till christmas.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Im using the Pro puller 3300kv/BLE setup..
So smooth down low and plenty of BraAApp on tap!

Ran it in the 12hr fix event..Zero issues all day/night.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
So would the Puller Pro Stubby be an acceptable choice for the Wraith?

I'm mostly looking for brushless efficiency and low maintenance, not so much parts-breaking torque and crazy power.
Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yes, stubby is perfectly acceptable in a wraith that's 20 mph or slower.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, stubby is perfectly acceptable in a wraith that's 20 mph or slower.
Thank you, sir! Order for that and a TrailMaster BLE Pro coming shortly.
Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes Hobby Motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobby Chesebro Electronics 0 06-12-2013 10:43 AM
holmes hobby help troy95chevy Electronics 3 08-24-2011 01:18 PM