Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Stripped out gear today...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Default Stripped out gear today...???

So I was having some fun today crawling after just rigging up the new lower links on my wraith, but I stripped this gear.

It's the one that turns off the smaller gear attached to the motor, (not sure what it's called). Anyway, can I perhaps get one of these at my LHS or am I going to have to order this sucker online? and most importantly do you guys suggest going with a metal gear here instead or keeping plastic so that it keeps from breaking other parts???

Thanks!
-Clint

[IMG][/IMG]
rockinclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Stripped out gear today...???

That's the spur gear. You can switch to stronger 32 pitch pinion and spur gears. Stick with plastic for the spur, metal is LOUD. Stock motor? I'm wondering if something else was wrong like a poor gear mesh, I tried but couldn't shred the stock 48p spur with 3s brushless power.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HahnsB2 View Post
That's the spur gear. You can switch to stronger 32 pitch pinion and spur gears. Stick with plastic for the spur, metal is LOUD. Stock motor? I'm wondering if something else was wrong like a poor gear mesh, I tried but couldn't shred the stock 48p spur with 3s brushless power.
Yes it is the stock motor. I did check the mesh before taking everything apart (it was at the factory setting) and it was WAY too far apart, that would explain my stripping.
I have already ordered the upgraded gears for the front and rear differentials. I'm am going with SD up front 38/13 and UD in the rear 43/13. I ordered the metal upgraded ones from axial per mikebecher's links he posted on one of my threads on here last week. They should be here tomorrow...!
Anyway I'll go pick up a new spur gear to put on the motor at my local hobby shop and I'll stick with the plastic. Thanks for your tips!
-Clint
Old 12-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't be afraid to reset the mesh and put that back into service if you don't have a hobby shop local to you. Stepping up to 32 pitch is always a good idea too. I run a Robinson racing slipper setup with a steel gear and it isn't loud if the mesh is correct.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I wouldn't be afraid to reset the mesh and put that back into service if you don't have a hobby shop local to you. Stepping up to 32 pitch is always a good idea too. I run a Robinson racing slipper setup with a steel gear and it isn't loud if the mesh is correct.
Thanks for the advice. Since I am new to rock crawling and still learning this whole process can you please explain to me what 32 pitch means? Thank you!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

In a nutshell think of it as teeth per inch. 32 pitch has fewer teeth but they are much larger than the 48 pitch you currently have.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

All that is needed is a 32p spur and pinion correct?

Last edited by TAT76; 12-07-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: search
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
What all is needed to swap to 32p? Is it just new spur and pinion?
Yup.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yup.
I was editing as you responded.. Yeah I should have searched before posting but hey it's good to have fresh info, thanks
Old 12-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
I was editing as you responded.. Yeah I should have searched before posting but hey it's good to have fresh info, thanks
No worries, some of us had to figure these things out before there was an Internet.

I should do a writeup on using a traxxas slipper, I'll have to search to see if it's been done before. The older axial slippers are utterly garbage and after getting frustrated I found a way to use a simple and reliable unit that will actually hold its setting.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

If you do upgrade to 32 pitch and use a robinson racing slash 2wd slipper. Use a super shafty beefy top shaft. They are in stock now.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlCrest View Post
If you do upgrade to 32 pitch and use a robinson racing slash 2wd slipper. Use a super shafty beefy top shaft. They are in stock now.
I want to check out all the items you just referred to, but have no idea where to even start! Do you have some links you could post to them?

Thanks!
-Clint
Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Supershafty.com
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

To be honest, unless you're going to run brushless I'd run the stock plastic style slipper. I do with a Holmes hobbies 27t torque master pro on 3s, gone through brushes on the motor but never the slipper, good setup will allow it to last plenty long, I've had mine for about a year like this
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
No worries, some of us had to figure these things out before there was an Internet.

I should do a writeup on using a traxxas slipper, I'll have to search to see if it's been done before. The older axial slippers are utterly garbage and after getting frustrated I found a way to use a simple and reliable unit that will actually hold its setting.
Oh do tell.. I'm building my wraith and trying to do all right the first time even if it slows my go..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stripped out gear today...??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stripped Gear! Need help with replacement! thirdeye Newbie General 14 11-14-2014 10:05 PM
Stripped idler gear? KRAWL Axial Wraith 2 07-30-2013 03:58 PM
stripped servo gear judgeshock Venom Creeper 0 04-26-2012 07:00 PM
My wraith just broke.....stripped gear I think Ernie W Axial Wraith 16 11-04-2011 02:54 PM
stripped yellow gear Bknight General Crawlers 1 02-18-2006 12:02 AM