Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Suspension help and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wraith Suspension help and questions

So I just acquired a Wraith Spawn rtr and have started making mods and tweaks to it to make suit my taste. I'm aiming more for a U4 style rig. After searching the forums and asking Google for help the first suggestion I came upon was to lower it, get softer springs, and a sway bar kit. I ordered up 4 of the axial black springs (1.04lbs I believe) and a rear sway bar. I installed both tonight. I went with the medium sway bar. The results were not what I expected. The sway bar seems to be doing its thing but the suspension seems to be acting like it's over sprung and under damped. I've got 30wt oil in the shocks and they are recently serviced and filled. It just seems really bouncy like the shocks aren't controlling the springs. The thing that really surprised me was that when I do a drop test from about 10 inches the whole thing bounces. It doesn't stick to the floor like I thought it would with that light of a spring and oil weight. My question is where do I go from here? Lighter oil? Maybe a piston change? I'm not sure what piston is currently in the shocks. Could it be crappy rtr tires and/or foams?

In looking for answers I noticed that some U4 rigs have the rear shocks mounted in the middle of the lower link, like the Yeti and Bomber,and some are mounted where the lower link meets the rear axle, Wraith style. What are the differences between the two set ups?
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith Suspension help and questions

I think RTR tires & foam might be the culprit. I had similar symptoms on my Wraith after installing new wheels and tires. I got some CI DD foams and vented the tires. The difference is like night and day - the rig now soaks up bumps at speed that used to send it bouncing out of control. Once the tires are tuned you can focus more on the shocks.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I did some more googling and modified my search term. Instead of looking for U4 set ups I looked for Wraith suspension tuning and came up with this:
Axial Racing - Wraith Tuning Tips

I got the front shocks done, but the rear will have to wait until tomorrow. I don't think it will get me exactly where I want the suspension to be, but it's headed the right way. I'll be looking at getting new foams next.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

So I finished swapping out the stock shock pistons for the 3 hole pistons that are included in the rtr parts goodie bag. I refilled the shocks with 30wt oil, just as suggested in the link from my previous post. After a very brief test run I have to say that it made a very large improvement. I think my issue before was there was too much pack in the shocks. The softer springs let the axle really work the suspension. The stock 2 hole pistons were just too restrictive on oil flow. I think I could still go lower in oil weight, but for now things are looking good. Next up I think will be some better foams.

Wraith Suspension help and questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension questions thesnake505 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 01-07-2012 10:03 AM
suspension lift questions Sync Chit Chat 0 08-13-2008 08:35 PM
suspension questions sabo_traxxas Traxxas Crawlers 4 02-05-2008 12:04 PM
Suspension questions 5150Crawl Newbie General 2 01-08-2008 02:11 PM
Suspension questions Tacoma747 General Crawlers 0 11-11-2007 08:34 PM