Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Kit Build Under $400?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wraith Kit Build Under $400?

This will be my first RC truck and I am on a budget. Wondering if it's possible and/or worth it to do a very cheap wraith spawn kit build (under $400) or if I should just get an RTR. I am literally starting with nothing.

In another forum I received this cheap parts list:

HobbyWing QuicRun 10 brushed, waterproof ESC ($20.99): HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 16 Brushed ESC

RC4WD 35T motor ($9.99): TowerHobbies.com | RC4WD 540 Crawler Brushed Motor 35T

Solar D772 servo ($19.95): Solar Servo D772 High Voltage 0.17sec@7.4v 64g Digital Metal Gear

BEC - Optional if you want more power from the servo - ($7.20): HXT UBEC 5/6v output, 5.5~23v Input (AR Warehouse)

Turnigy TS4G transmitter ($39.50): TrackStar D-Spec TS4G 2.4GHz 4-Channel Radio System (Gyro Integrated) (AR Warehouse)

2S LiPo battery - your choice, but we can help if needed.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith Kit Build Under $400?

I feel since you will still need a charger, tools and all fluids for a build the RTR would be better. Your just subbing cheap electronics that you will end up replacing for a few upgrades on the kit.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
I feel since you will still need a charger, tools and all fluids for a build the RTR would be better. Your just subbing cheap electronics that you will end up replacing for a few upgrades on the kit.
I will need a charger with an RTR and probably some tools at least. What fluids would I need? Are the RTR electronics better than the one listed above?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would find an RTR on CL or EBAY or something. Then slowly save up to replace parts.
kingfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
RCC Addict

It all comes down to what you want to do. You could find even cheaper stuff if you search and ask tons of questions, hell I just sold my RTR TX/RX from my spawn (never used) for $25 yesterday with the stock servo still listed.. I know nothing about the ones you list or even the stock RTR but I do know that being your first it's going to be a PIA getting everything, building and setting up just to have a few upgrades. End of the day your still with a wraith that will need everything upgraded..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

I guess the question is - why do you want to do that? Is it because you want to build and/or paint it yourself? If you don't care about those things, I would suggest you just pick up the RTR model. I think you would be better off with the electronics that comes with the RTR.

If you do care about building and/or painting it yourself and decide to go the kit route, I would suggest getting the BEC because in my opinion the Solar d772 is a bit slow unless you run it at 7.4V. Other than that and it being a bit noisy, the one I have has been a great servo.

Also, I would be surprised if you would need fluids for the initial build. Both my SCX10 and my Yeti kits came with all the fluids needed to get them up and running. I can't see them not supplying it with the Wraith kit. Maybe someone with direct experience with the Wraith kit can confirm?

Hope that helps a bit
+x
xrecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
RCC Addict

If i was to do a 400 buck build Id almost rather buy everything needed from the RCC classifieds. Parts more than likely will be used but I have actually gotten pretty good deals on things in the past
I wouldn't end up with a total bottom barrel build either...slightly upgraded trans or axles, used decent servo, BECs pop up from time to time as well as decent wheels and tires.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The RTR Wraith Spawn would be a great setup to get you started. It is plenty of fun out of the box but is really a blank canvas for modification (See Harley's Wraith guide).

Wraith Spawn RTR - $350
TowerHobbies.com | Axial 1/10 Wraith Spawn Rock Racer 4WD RTR

Hitec X1 Charger - $60
TowerHobbies.com | Hitec X1+ Single Port AC/DC Charger

Gforce 2S battery - $20
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store: GForce 30C 5000mAh 2S Car LiPO Pack (Hard Case)

Dynamite Wrenches - $20
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-Machi.../dp/B0006O5014

After a $70 off coupon from Tower, you are running for about $380 so there is a little money left for a smaller pinion, battery connectors, or some other little odds and ends.

Just remember, enjoy, break, then upgrade.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'd go with the RTR spawn. You still need a charger and battery but as far as tools go you can get by with cheap Allen wrenches despite what everyone here thinks. The motor and servo won't last very long but neither will the ones you proposed. The radio and receiver are good to go and will last you as will the ESC.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The RTR Wraith Spawn would be a great setup to get you started. It is plenty of fun out of the box but is really a blank canvas for modification (See Harley's Wraith guide).

Wraith Spawn RTR - $350
TowerHobbies.com | Axial 1/10 Wraith Spawn Rock Racer 4WD RTR

Hitec X1 Charger - $60
TowerHobbies.com | Hitec X1+ Single Port AC/DC Charger

Gforce 2S battery - $20
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store: GForce 30C 5000mAh 2S Car LiPO Pack (Hard Case)

Dynamite Wrenches - $20
Amazon.com: Dynamite Machined Hex Driver Metric Set Red DYN2904: Toys & Games

After a $70 off coupon from Tower, you are running for about $380 so there is a little money left for a smaller pinion, battery connectors, or some other little odds and ends.

Just remember, enjoy, break, then upgrade.
This.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

$70 off coupon?! Where do I find that?

Why not a 3s battery?

If the stuff listed above is worst than the stuff in the RTR then I agree RTR is the way to go. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
$70 off coupon?! Where do I find that?

Why not a 3s battery?

If the stuff listed above is worst than the stuff in the RTR then I agree RTR is the way to go. Thanks for the replies.
Coupon
Tower Hobbies - Coupon Codes

The ESC and motor are about the same between the RTR stuff and the ones you listed. The Solar servo is stronger than the RTR servo but I still don't consider it a good servo.

2s vs 3s is a much discussed topic, there is much information to be found on here. To sum it up, 2s is generally slower, easier on the truck, and cheaper while 3s is more of everything.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

First of all go for the kit! The kit has good upgrades. The Spawn kit has better shocks, links, got universials (that greatly improves steering), unpainted body so it can be something other than daft gray. And not to mention, you get to build it yourself so you know the workings of it.

So to your list: the rtr ESC is a rebranded hobbywing ezrun 1040, the one you listed is in fact a bit newer and better esc with a smaller footprint and 20a more. The motor you listed sucks big time and is a waste of money even at that price, especially for the wraith. Mostly cus the wraith is a bigger rig and runs best on 3s, and the cheap rc4wd motors burns up in minutes on 3s. I would recommend you to go on eBay and get the tiptronic esc hackmoto 35t combo. It is the same esc as you listed but with a much better and rebuildable motor. The servo I don't know but don't hurts to try it, it will be changed anyway when you realize you need a bigger one. The bec you listed is a bit cheaper if you get the hobbywing one (3,3$). But none of those is capable of 7,4v witch is needed to get full potential of the servo. But it's better than running without. You can also get very cheap flysky radios, witch is the same as axial used before the switched to tactic.
As for battery I would recommend some 3s 2200mah. Its a great size, not to small and not to big. And is great for putting under your hood if you do the battery forward mod.

So to sum it up, with the cheap electronics you can get today, and even cheaper stuff used in rtr, kit is the only way to go. You get a lot better rig in the end, and it does not have the same colour that everyone else got.

But with this setup, you better start saving/planning your next upgrades. That probably is beadlocks, steering linkages, servo arm, new servo, cc bec. Forward battery mod parts.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Another thing to keep in mind is alot of those parts you listed come from different sellers, some overseas. The shipping charges add up quick and should be factored in.
sbs10v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs10v8 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is alot of those parts you listed come from different sellers, some overseas. The shipping charges add up quick and should be factored in.
tower hobbies usually have free shipping
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
tower hobbies usually have free shipping
Yes but solar servos are sold by hobbypartz, turnigy is usually hobbyking, then the other parts would have to come from somewhere else. Just stating he should factor in shipping charges when doing a budget build
Old 12-23-2015, 04:06 AM   #17
Nope..

Buy used and save money. You can get a clean, used Wraith for $250-$300 all day long around here.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs10v8 View Post
Yes but solar servos are sold by hobbypartz, turnigy is usually hobbyking, then the other parts would have to come from somewhere else. Just stating he should factor in shipping charges when doing a budget build
One can get all of the things on his list of eBay with free shipping. It's not any problem to get rtr electronics or slightly better close to his budget.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Why not a 3s battery?
Gear down, volt up (3s), and buy a castle BEC and Holmes Harness for the BEC. This will give you everything and not beat up your truck. That part is left up for you to do with the added power.
Dornbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
One can get all of the things on his list of eBay with free shipping. It's not any problem to get rtr electronics or slightly better close to his budget.
I was just trying to make a simple point that someone should factor in shipping charges when budgeting a build and there is not a single solar d772 servo listed on ebay right now. So again he would have to factor in the shipping charges from hobbypartz if he was set on that servo.

Wraith Kit Build Under $400? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first kit wraith build Spence700 Axial Wraith 4 01-16-2013 02:42 PM
Wraith kit build Dslzuk91 Axial Wraith 21 01-03-2013 11:44 AM
Wraith Kit Build!! --My first flyingrc Axial Wraith 31 04-05-2012 09:56 AM
What is a good Helicopter Kit for around $300-$400? TheHeadHunter Chit Chat 0 03-31-2008 01:11 PM