Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Trailing Arms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wraith Trailing Arms?

Well since I bought my daughter her bomber I've been thinking about trailing arms for my Wraith. I've been looking at Blue Monkey's stage 2 kit with the trailing arms & upper shock brackets. Has anyone used it ? Is it worth it? Thanks for the input.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith Trailing Arms?

You will need a Bomber skid plate, a DMG yeti to Wraith trans adapter plate and yeti trailing arms. Unlike the Blue Monkey kit, the Bomber skid has mount pockets with the correct geometry for trailing arms. Trailing arms should be parallel or very close to it. Otherwise its just a fancy link mounted shock.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
You will need a Bomber skid plate, a DMG yeti to Wraith trans adapter plate and yeti trailing arms. Unlike the Blue Monkey kit, the Bomber skid has mount pockets with the correct geometry for trailing arms. Trailing arms should be parallel or very close to it. Otherwise its just a fancy link mounted shock.
Quite true. The BM kit is quite nice, but if you are looking for the exact same performance that the Bomber supplies, then you will need to follow gottorque's advice. I've run the BM kit, and the only real benefit is that you can run two shocks. Depending on the intended application of your vehicle, this may or may not be a hindrance. For my driving style, I found that the BM kit coupled with four proline scale shocks (two on each side), limited my travel and articulation due to having twice the shocks.... Obviously.... It looked cool, and it drove fast well. But I'm more of a trail runner/crawler, so it wasn't for me. VERY well made though!
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but I disagree; trailing arms on a Wraith make a significant improvement in performance using the stock Wraith skid. Just follow my Wraith build thread and you will see.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I don't want to get into a pissing match, but I disagree; trailing arms on a Wraith make a significant improvement in performance using the stock Wraith skid. Just follow my Wraith build thread and you will see.
I only ever piss after my second beer. I'm assuming you are refering to torque's post. For me, it was a matter of driving style and preference. There is certainly a marked improvement in performance and stability at speed. I'm just not a speed guy, which is why they weren't for me. The quality of the BM arms is quite high. Still, the geometry of the bombers arms is yet another step up from that. If it were me, I'd get the parts from the bomber AND get the BM trailing arms.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I agree, the suspension geometry isn't technically correct compared to a 1:1 machine, but it sure works on a Wraith for crawling. I am a hard core crawler and my Wraith with T/As is one of my best crawlers.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the input! I thought it would be a cool thing to do, so it is added to my list. Billinvic- Your Wraith build is what started my gears turning! That was a awesome rig!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm running the BMRC trailing arms with the DMG stiffy kit. It's hands down the best improvement I've made in my wraith. Tuning it makes all of the difference.

You can get crazy articulation, but as always that comes with a price (less stability) finding the happy medium, I can go fast or crawl well, and tune the rig to what type of driving I'll be doing.

IMO two proline shocks is way too much. Perhaps if one of them didn't have springs it could work well. Also where the shocks are located and the angles make a big difference.

Cheers
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
I'm running the BMRC trailing arms with the DMG stiffy kit. It's hands down the best improvement I've made in my wraith. Tuning it makes all of the difference.

You can get crazy articulation, but as always that comes with a price (less stability) finding the happy medium, I can go fast or crawl well, and tune the rig to what type of driving I'll be doing.

IMO two proline shocks is way too much. Perhaps if one of them didn't have springs it could work well. Also where the shocks are located and the angles make a big difference.

Cheers

One set was sprung, the other was not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Huh. I run two different lengths when I need more stability, yet still need more articulation. More and more I'm finding that I prefer stability over articulation.

Cheers!
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I agree, the suspension geometry isn't technically correct compared to a 1:1 machine, but it sure works on a Wraith for crawling. I am a hard core crawler and my Wraith with T/As is one of my best crawlers.
Noob here...How do trailing arms improve crawling? Does this imply the bomber setup is better for crawling?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Noob here...How do trailing arms improve crawling? Does this imply the bomber setup is better for crawling?
trailing arms don't, the shock relocation is the big difference in articulation, turning, etc. really doesn't matter what that lower arm looks like, the link/arm mount points and shock mount points are the difference in the trailing arm vs link debate. truth is no one's been able to prove the amazing performance improvements actually exist, all we have is their word for it and internet talk is cheap

the Blue Monkey kit is interesting, but you have to hack the Wraith up a bit to install it and going back to stock means replacing those hacked parts

most of the full scale trucks I've seen with trailing arms are fast-paced, jumping & landing trophy truck and similar style race trucks, you don't see trailing arms much on crawlers until you get to the RC world

Last edited by Soldat Vaillant; 12-30-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
I don't think its better, but you can't simply leave things stock. You need to modify & make it unique, make it your own!
Old 12-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
RCC Addict

A good portion of Ultra 4 rigs have trailing arms too. Takes more to me to get the suspension tuned over a linked set up but it performs awesome once dialed in.

They do have a certain cool factor I must admit. Here's my 1.9 wraith with Twin Hammers length arms. Something different...
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I agree with bilinvic. I added a DMG TA stiffy rear cage and UCFab trailing arms to my Wraith and it was one of the top three mods that made my Wraith an incredibly capable crawler.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Mine was the best improvement I have done on my wraith...was able to place 3rd in my first comp with it earlier this year...
Attached Images

allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I love the looks of trailing arms!
Maybe I'll make a set for my wraith too.

J.A.W - just another wraith &
a Bomber!
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Would T.A's up front be good?
I have VP now but wondering if the straight arm style may help slide over or hang more?

J.A.W - just another wraith &
a Bomber!
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:39 PM   #19
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Mine was the best improvement I have done on my wraith...was able to place 3rd in my first comp with it earlier this year...
love the wheels
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
love the wheels
I bet you do! lol! I will have to order more soon for my other 2.2 rigs!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote