Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: need some advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Default need some advise

Hey guys I hope this is in the right section, I just got my wraith in today. it has a castle SCT brushless conversion 3800kv, now my issue is I really wanted a good, torquey crawler and this setup appears to be more of a racer then a crawler.

so is there a brushless motor I can buy to replace this fast one with that I can use the same esc and be low and torquey?

or would I be better off just ordering the holmes 35t and new esc?

Thanks!
dmax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need some advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1000 View Post
Hey guys I hope this is in the right section, I just got my wraith in today. it has a castle SCT brushless conversion 3800kv, now my issue is I really wanted a good, torquey crawler and this setup appears to be more of a racer then a crawler.

so is there a brushless motor I can buy to replace this fast one with that I can use the same esc and be low and torquey?

or would I be better off just ordering the holmes 35t and new esc?

Thanks!
IMO it's the wrong esc for a crawler.
Don't ya want/need a drag brake ?

and yeah the mtr needs be below 2000K

I prefer brushed mtrs.
and utilize the HH BR/XL esc.
Best crawler esc I have used.
^ also a castle creations product.

Since I'm not a brush-less runner...
possibly someone else who is
will chime in and add their $ .02
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

yes that was my next question, if there was a suitable brushless motor if there was a way to preform the drag brake. thank you for your help
Old 01-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I think Sensored brushless is a little better but still not as good as brushed for more technical crawling, that's a very debatable subject on here and will likely get several different scenario's! I prefer the brushed for crawling for the slow precise control on the verticals. Castle offers brushless/brushed esc's with drag brake! I use a cc micro with a 10amp bec which will run either brushed or brushless with drag.
firstpasstommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #5

Tekin roc412 3100kv and mmp esc. mmp is completely adjustable with castlelink. I run this setup in my wraith it is awesome!!! Crawls good with plenty of wheel speed.
Estol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

There is 2 Castle SCT combos with a 3800kv motor, which esc does it have? Sidewinder or Mamba Max Pro?
The Sidewinder is def not ideal as a brushless crawler combo but the MMP being able to run a sensored motor (& being able to run 3s) would be ideal to keep.
If it is the MMP one of the Holmes Puller Pro motors, either 2200 or 3500 would be great Holmes Hobbies LLC
If they're outside your budget the Holmes Trailmasters would be nice too, Holmes Hobbies LLC
I have a 2 pole 3300kv Tekin in my Wraith that crawls real nice & still has enough pep to U4 race

If it's the Sidewinder that esc works perfectly well with a brushed motor, just heatshrink over the white motor wire from the esc to insulate it & put it brushed mode via a Castle link)
A 35t on 3s would be pretty nice.
The drag brake can be set with a castle link

Last edited by altd896; 01-03-2016 at 11:19 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
There is 2 Castle SCT combos with a 3800kv motor, which esc does it have? Sidewinder or Mamba Max Pro?
The Sidewinder is def not ideal as a brushless crawler combo but the MMP being able to run a sensored motor (& being able to run 3s) would be ideal to keep.
If it is the MMP one of the Holmes Puller Pro motors, either 2200 or 3500 would be great Holmes Hobbies LLC
If they're outside your budget the Holmes Trailmasters would be nice too, Holmes Hobbies LLC
I have a 2 pole 3300kv Tekin in my Wraith that crawls real nice & still has enough pep to U4 race

If it's the Sidewinder that esc works perfectly well with a brushed motor, just heatshrink over the white motor wire from the esc to insulate it.
A 35t on 3s would be pretty nice.
The drag brake can be set with a castle link
thanks for the help, it does have the sidewinder esc. you guys have helped a lot with my decision. I didn't realize the options I had. this is perfect
Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I forgot to mention (but have edited it now) when using a Sidewinder as a brushed esc you need to change the mode to brushed via Castle link.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote

need some advise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
some advise please hawkmaster Newbie General 5 04-14-2013 03:56 AM
Need some advise. eisman Pennsylvania 1 05-03-2012 06:08 PM
Need Advise zukdogz400 Electronics 0 09-03-2010 11:51 AM
Your Advise AD-1 Newbie General 2 08-28-2007 01:14 PM
Need some advise smokinubyrc Electronics 2 03-22-2007 12:49 PM