Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Sons Teton is faster, need to change this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

Default Sons Teton is faster, need to change this

A the title says, My sons teton is faster than my stock wraith.
And all I hear. "mum I beat dad again today"
I didn`t buy it for speed, and I enjoy it when out by myself. However the boy wants to race and I want to say "mum I beat him for a change" everynow and then. make it fun for me too.

Will a simple gearing change be enough? Or will I have to invest in a new
power system? I dont mind changing systems every now and then, for a bit of crawling or racing with the boy.

Making it more stable would be nice.
Shorter shocks vs a lowering kit, What do recommend?
What else can be done to improve performance with a bit of extra speed?

I`ve been reading a bit through the begginers guide, just wondering how relevent it is now. Some of the links don`t work anymore and it was started in 2011.

Thanks.
monchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sons Teton is faster, need to change this

almost everything in there is relevant. Lower the rig for better COG. For speed, look into a much better motor than that stock 20t axial. Look into a quality rebuildable 27 to 35 turn brushed motor, from a company like team brood, Tekin, Holmes etc. Also as I had done set up to a 3s battery, it made all the difference in my situation and made my wraith much more fun. Shorter shocks will work, or lowering kit. Can be as simple as turning over the shock mounts on the axles.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

How much faster are we talking here? TheChewmaster is right on track for a few more MPHs but to make up a major speed difference then brushless would be in your future.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yes listen to that guy. You need brushless on 3s roc412 or holmes puller pro Maybe over kill but you cant let your son win.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

And then you're going to need to upgrade the entire drivetrain. The stock Wraith won't handle brushless 3s power for long, probably just minutes. Use this speed chart to do some comparisons with your son's top speed. You might be able go with a larger pinion and a better brushed motor to get a comparable top speed (or reduce the pinion on his ). Once you go down the brushless path, it's a long and expensive journey but you'll definitely beat the pants off a teton!
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
And then you're going to need to upgrade the entire drivetrain. The stock Wraith won't handle brushless 3s power for long, probably just minutes. Use this speed chart to do some comparisons with your son's top speed. You might be able go with a larger pinion and a better brushed motor to get a comparable top speed (or reduce the pinion on his ). Once you go down the brushless path, it's a long and expensive journey but you'll definitely beat the pants off a teton!
exatly, which is why i suggested 3s and a nice brushed motor. He does not need another 300+ dollars in upgrades(universals, metal links, steering links, servo, HD gears, driveshafts, tranny gears, the list goes on. not including the money necessary for picking up a new motor and esc. I've still got stock plastic knuckles with 3s and 27t Holmes Torquemaster Pro, works like a dream and keeps the cost down.

I like the idea of lowering the son's pinion
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

Some food for thought there. I think a 3s and a good brushed motor will be my best bet.
I didn`t get the wraith for speed or for racing my son, but he wants to and it`s kind of fun
watching his skills improve. He would be noe to impressed if I reduced the pinion on his.
It`s got a training mode (half speed) he`s way past that already. He is only 6 btw.

I enjoy a bit of solitude and got the rig to have a bit of fun while on the walking trails,
my idea was to find as many crawling spots as I could and slowly upgrade it for crawling.
I just dont like losing everytime.
When he gets bigger, I thought it would be better to get a couple of bashers for each of us.
Instead of building the wraith for speed.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #8

My sons (9 and 10 years old) like to kick rocks at my SCX10, and soon Wraith, with their Yeti's.. When they get a little cocky, I just break out the Yeti XL on 6s. LOL

Either way, I'd simply start with a 3S pack. That made a huge difference in my SCX10 Power Wagon.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #9

I have the Tekin pro4 HD 3000kv paired with a Tekin rx8 gen2 in mine on 3s and it has plenty of speed and also enough torque to get it out of just about and tight spot. The larger can on the pro4 HD desapates heat very well. You will need to upgrade a few parts if you just romp on it all the time.
RiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

The Wrath really isn't the right rig for speed. It can do a little but anything you do to make it faster will reduce its crawling capability. The live axles and lockers are never going to perform as well as independent suspension with three tuned diffs. Any time my step son starts to get cocky I go grab my Mugen MBX-7T. Normally we both race 1/10 scale short course trucks at the local track. I went that route because the bodies cover the tires and the trucks have bumpers all the way around and being able to do a little nerfing and nudging really is a lot more fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ToeBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #11

Thanks for the input everyone.
Took my son out yesturday, with his teton and my wraith. to one of my hiking trails, the city has gone and put wooden
stairs in everywhere. The wraith was fine, naturally not the teton, now he really wants a crawler. So we packed up and went to the beach on the way home.
We both had a blast. The wraith climbed the dunes with ease, it fell down crevices made by rain and bashed it`s way out. the teton could follow
but on a different line we were both doing our thing, he could open up on the open sand( it actually surprised me how well the teton drove on the sand
even I had some fun with it.)

But it got me thinking. I live just near the biggest dunes in Japan (tottori city) and I`d love to make a bit of a sand basher.
If I do go the brushless route and start to upgrade the drive train What exactly do I need to upgrade?

The drive shafts
Pinion and spur?

Do I need to replace the axles or just the gears in them?
A yeti would be great but there were none available over here, at a price I was willing to pay.

We had so much fun in the sand, and its only minutes from where I live it will probable get more use there than
crawling. This is just a thought ATM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Install an SSD high ratio transmission. Even with the stock motor it'll make your Wraith quite a bit quicker.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote

Sons Teton is faster, need to change this - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with my daughters Latrax Teton Leon Sidursky Non Crawler RC's 3 01-13-2016 05:34 AM
If I change motors do I have to change my ESC? Coltan Newbie General 1 04-03-2012 02:04 PM
my sons cc redneckrides Duratrax Cliff Climber 5 01-08-2010 08:11 AM
my sons k2-3s chino438 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 04-14-2007 12:10 PM