Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: First Scratch Built Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #1

Default First Scratch Built Wraith

Hi all. I just finished(ish) my first scratch built Wraith. I'm still waiting for the servo for the dig box and for the body panels, but I did take it out this weekend for a short run.

I built it using a HR trans and skid, Vanquish Currie front axles on both ends, MIP driveshafts, 175mm shocks, and Hitec 7955TG servos for dual steer. I'm using my Futaba 4PX to run it, and it rolls on a set of RC4WD Low Boyz 2.2 rims and a set of HotBodies Sedona white dots. Power comes from a Tekin RX8 and goes to a T8i 1450kv motor. I planned on running a 4S 2700 but took it out this weekend with a 2S 5000 for some crawling around on an old collapsed barn at my girlfriend's ranch and was pretty happy with the performance, at least for crawling. I've still got some adjusting to do and I haven't yet gone through to waterproof the electronics, but I just couldn't wait.

ToeBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Default First Scratch Built Wraith

My stepson and I took it out to Deer Park to the rock course for a test run. Ran two batteries through it. It was really fun. I attempted some pretty technical lines and was reasonably happy with the performance. There's some suspension jacking with the rear steer going and I beat up on the steering a little bit. I'm going to have to look into relocating the servo back and up a bit and definitely need to clock the knuckles differently.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First Scratch Built Wraith

What shocks are you running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Riddler6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Not sure on the brand but he did say 175mm. Wow.!

Scaling & Crawlin
MX4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That Wraith is bigger than my 1:1 Jeep. I wish I could drive my Wraith around town.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Yeah I saw the 175mm and it got me looking for some to play with lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Riddler6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

I've been away far too long. Sorry. Anyway, the shocks are Integy 175mm for the HPI Savage. I have a set of OEM Savage shocks as well and they're substantially smaller. The Integy ones leaked out in the first run, and haven't held oil since, but it really hasn't affected the rig, since almost all the weight is in the axles so it's unsprung anyway. I found a video on YouTube where a kid chopped his cage to install the longer shocks and pretty much followed that, with a few modifications to accommodate the size of these shocks. Also added the original links ala fastback conversion, but I didn't chop the cage. The idea was to stiffen things up a bit and be able to add a tow hitch. I've since reconsidered that, however.

I flipped the winch mount and tucked it behind the grill to provide better protection and a cleaner look. I also added an original RTR body to it. I hate painting RC bodies so I generally get RTR replacement bodies for my RC vehicles. I have a Losi SCTE 2.0 running the TLD body as well.

I took it out yesterday to the Under the Bridge location I just found out about and managed to overpower the drivetrain. The dig box's output shaft is now wobbling. I'll have to pull it apart and see what's going on there. The MIP shaft seems to be ok. I'm in the process of moving and don't want to get into tearing this thing down and risk losing the parts in the move.

My stepson did snag a few photos with his iPhone while we were playing in the rock garden. I'm pretty proud of him. He drove it and did really well. I'll have to see about getting him a crawler of his own.

AJ's Photo of Axial Wraith by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

AJ's Photo of Axial Wraith by Toe_Ball, on Flickr
Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Pretty good! I was contemplating putting a dig on mine. I am only just beginning the build and I had decided to leave the dig out for now and perhaps revisit it later once I have the rest of it tuned in. You mention a dig shaft wobbling in your last post. This was my concern that it would be a weak point of the drivetrain. Would you please describe it a little better. I am just looking to pick your mind on this as I am very curious about it. What dig do you use? I wonder if there is a high quality one available to compliment the Supersfaty transmission.
kohout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #9

Sure. I use the Hot Racing trans with the dig unit built in (WRA38TP03). It's actually pretty tough, I just happen to be using a T8 1650 kv motor and am running an almost 10 lb rig (9lbs 5.6 oz with the 2S battery), so it puts a lot of stress on the driveline. I also have the clutch tightened to where I bottomed the threads on the shaft. I may even go so far as to shim it to make it a bit tighter. I've been trying to order the LockedUp Slipper Eliminator, but it's always not available. so I've got to improvise in the meantime.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Wow, your rig flexes so well.

I've been really curious about the dig option. Do you find yourself using it often? More than the rear steer?
It seems it's either Rear steer or Dig, usually not both. Maybe I'm wrong, which is very likely.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I feel more or less the same that it is one or the other type of scenario. I'm sitting tight for your feedback ToeBall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Wow, your rig flexes so well.

I've been really curious about the dig option. Do you find yourself using it often? More than the rear steer?
It seems it's either Rear steer or Dig, usually not both. Maybe I'm wrong, which is very likely.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #12

To be perfectly honest, The rear steer gets used rarely, but when you need it, it's really good to have. It's neat to play with, but in crawling practicality, it causes bind and so it limits the speeds at which you want to run it. I find myself switching between front and rear only steering more often than 4WS or crab, but I haven't gotten to play on any REALLY technical trails yet so I'm not ready to recommend against or for it yet. I have used it some, like crawling over the 100 year old house in central Texas, where it really did come in handy, but not enough that it's intuitive. The same is to be said about the dig unit. Things haven't gotten so tight yet that the dig box was needed to get out. In fact, the servo died a few runs ago and I haven't replaced it yet because I haven't been doing much digging. If I can't figure out a good fix for the durability issue on that output I'll be ordering a SuperShafty output and ditching the dig. The Wraith has a long wheelbase so both features come into play when it gets tight, just the local spots I've been playing in haven't been much of a challenge. I keep hoping to run into others at the locations, just my bad luck to only be able to make it out at odd times.

To be fair though, this rig is stull under construction. I haven't waterproofed the electronics nor am I at the final chassis layout, and I'm still working the bugs out. I'm still getting parts together, so it will be significantly more polished when finished.

Last edited by ToeBall; 06-06-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Why not build a 2.2 Shafty at that point? Might've been cheaper and perform considerably better.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Why not build a 2.2 Shafty at that point? Might've been cheaper and perform considerably better.
Because live and learn? This was my first Wraith. My 40 series crawler, is MOA so I didn't have to deal with t-cases and dig was just done by software.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thank you for this, interesting read. I suppose it is about having fun, at least for me it is. So doing it with Wraith over something "more suitable" is part of the process.

I just came back from a muddy forest. Only have done half a pack there with nothing technical whatsoever but it was a good laugh.

Amazing hobby we share

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeBall View Post
To be perfectly honest, The rear steer gets used rarely, but when you need it, it's really good to have. It's neat to play with, but in crawling practicality, it causes bind and so it limits the speeds at which you want to run it. I find myself switching between front and rear only steering more often than 4WS or crab, but I haven't gotten to play on any REALLY technical trails yet so I'm not ready to recommend against or for it yet. I have used it some, like crawling over the 100 year old house in central Texas, where it really did come in handy, but not enough that it's intuitive. The same is to be said about the dig unit. Things haven't gotten so tight yet that the dig box was needed to get out. In fact, the servo died a few runs ago and I haven't replaced it yet because I haven't been doing much digging. If I can't figure out a good fix for the durability issue on that output I'll be ordering a SuperShafty output and ditching the dig. The Wraith has a long wheelbase so both features come into play when it gets tight, just the local spots I've been playing in haven't been much of a challenge. I keep hoping to run into others at the locations, just my bad luck to only be able to make it out at odd times.

To be fair though, this rig is stull under construction. I haven't waterproofed the electronics nor am I at the final chassis layout, and I'm still working the bugs out. I'm still getting parts together, so it will be significantly more polished when finished.

First Scratch Built Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another scratch built JK rottenbelly 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 11-14-2011 05:46 PM
Scratch built rag6 Newbie General 2 06-30-2011 07:50 AM
Scratch built 2.2 Kamikaze Tamiya Clod Buster 26 09-11-2007 07:51 PM
My scratch built wk crawler... billet works HPI Wheely King 40 08-15-2007 10:27 PM