Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Question on VP Stage One and Tie Rod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Question on VP Stage One and Tie Rod

Heya,

I'm new to the hobby and want to beef up my new wraith with the stage one kit from VP. The problem I'm running into is seeing conflicting info on which tie rod I need.

The CKRC site and the VP site for example states a new one *is* required for the stage 1 kit, but not for the knuckles alone.

Are the ackermans in the stage 1 different than the ones that come with just the knuckles? The descriptions read the same which is why the confusion here.

I'm currently using the STRC tie rod / drag set which is working well enough, if I order the VP Stage 1 kit will I need to get a different rod?

Secondary questions: The sites say I may need wider hexes. I have some Rockstars coming in, anyone know if these will be fine with the stage 1 arms?
FaustKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Question on VP Stage One and Tie Rod

The rocksters will be fine. Actually will make the truck too wide IMO, but lots of people love em. I just run XR10 wheels which have lots of offset and ground down the inner edge to fit around the knuckle. Or Aluminum wheels with Varying width hubs.

The issue you will find with the stage one kit and your STRC steering link is going to be the set length the STRC link has. I believe the STRC link is the same length as the stock link and these are going to set the toe out ???? I think. So you need the Vanquish tie rod and drag link, which will be of much better quality, made of Ti and have quality Traxxas Rod ends, usually refered to here as Revo rod ends. Now, you don't have to upgrade the knuckles IMO; Ive had mine on for a year with stock plastic knuckles and chubs, and the Vanquish Ti drag link, Tie rod and, all four upper links. No breakage on my knuckles.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Question on VP Stage One and Tie Rod

Heya,

I appreciate the answers/advice! I was going to get the stage one because it's a bit cheaper to get it all at once and honestly they look pretty sweet

With the Stage One the standard vanquish tie rod will work then correct? Rather than the "Racing Ackerman" one?

I forgot to add I also have the ProLine TSL XLs on the way to me, so the extra width from the rims will be nice.

Last edited by FaustKnight; 01-20-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: More info
FaustKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Question on VP Stage One and Tie Rod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith knuckles tie rod question? Dezertdirt Axial XR10 7 02-23-2014 11:09 PM
wraith vanquish tie rod question. thumper49802 Axial Wraith 15 11-19-2013 10:14 PM
Tie-rod question tuf-gmh Axial XR10 9 07-14-2012 10:15 AM
question on new drag link and tie rod manalow88 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 03-08-2012 08:26 PM
KK high clearance tie-rod vs. CKRC OTA tie-rod vs. ?? BigB_117 EnRoute Berg 64 07-06-2009 11:20 PM