Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: First running and first issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 04:35 AM   #1

Default First running and first issues

Hey there!!

I just have my spawn running wild around my garden.... My dog hates it hahaha

So much funny...

I would like to do the axles more wide... Car rolls pretty easy I guess... Any mod to do this as in a real car... Offset alloys, separators....

I've been checking eBay and I saw some aluminium parts to adjust angle shocks... And make it lower... Do you agree with this mods??

Cheers !!

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
SpaniardCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First running and first issues

I found that I did not like having the axles wider - it made the rig harder to maneuver in tight spaces and put more stress on the steering and axle shafts, plus I did not see much improvement with regard to rollovers. I think a better route is to get your center of gravity down. You can lower the ride height with shock adjusters, different shocks and/or springs. Some added weight down low in the form of Beeftubes, knuckle weight or wheel weight helps. And don't overlook better tires and especially foams. The stock tires and foams will buckle in turns and once that happens all bets are off. Do a search for Crawler Innovations foams, they are some of the best out there. If you don't do much crawling then wider axles may very well be a good option for you, it just didn't work out for me.

edit - I forgot to mention that a rear sway bar can help a lot and it's easy to disconnect if you need more articulation when crawling.

Last edited by mikebecher; 02-01-2016 at 11:18 AM.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Lower that B! Try and get the lower links as close to flat as you can. This will help the COG issue Mike is talking about. I use a 'lowering' kit on my Wraith. Allowing the links to sit flat will give excellent geometry and stability even at speed. However the drawback comes from us dragging the belly on everything, from your description this may not be an issue.

I am in the same boat as Mike, I hated the wraith with wide tires on it. Mine was specifically the asial rockster beadlock wheels. Moved to a set of AX-10 wheels which don't clear the knuckle on the passenger side, I clearanced the rim and they work awesome, and my rig turns a lot better and fits between rocks now; love it.

OP, try and lower the truck, get links flat, maybe beeftubes (I have those too) and get rid of those stock foams, I hate em, fold over all the time, and they don't even come close to filling the tire, useless. I love my Crawler innovations two stage foams. They rock and totally made my rig more capable.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

I lowered mine by flipping the lower shock mounts in front and flipping the upper mount in the rear. Cost nothing and made a noticeable difference.
Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Lowering can be done with all stock parts. Move the front shocks to the rearmost hole on the chassis, and unthread the pre-load adjusters till they touch the caps. Then flip the rear upper mounting bracket on the chassis.

They make all sorts of "wideners". They are a bad idea because of the additional stress they but on the steering and axles.

The stock foams are also part of the problem. You'll notice the tire rolls right onto the sidewall during anything resembling "cornering".
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

I find I need a good 3-4 turns of preload on the springs just to keep them seated properly in the lower perch. Any less and they get all cockeyed during a run.
Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

I ran a droop kit on my Wraith and did not like it. The skid hit everything. I did what was mentioned above, flipped the rear shock mount and moved the front shock to the rear hole. I run a 3100 ROC412 motor with Super Swamper XL's and it is extremely stable at speed. Also running Proline Power Stroke Slash rear shocks all the way around. If you want a lower ride height you can run the Power Stroke Slash front shocks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
b08m10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i tried a swaybar in the rear, made a big difference at speed, but hated to sacrifice the crawling ability. changed to a trailing arm setup, made a ton of difference. And crawls like a champ.
lzysmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What size battery are you running? A large battery (for long run time) in the stock location is a terrible set up. It make's it top heavy and unstable. You also can't keep the front end down on steep climbs. Move the battery up front and you will be very happy. Moving it up front between the firewall and the receiver box is a great location. Here's a pic (w/o battery):

This lowers the center of gravity quite a bit and centers it for better weight distribution. It handles, jumps and climbs much better. I often run 4S with a Tekin 13.5 motor and snorting around full throttle I don't find myself upside down very often. Probably one of the most useful mods you can do.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote

First running and first issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc issues or elec issues camogonewild Newbie General 5 03-11-2014 11:19 AM
Ya'll running 35T motors, what pinion are you running? concretejungle Axial XR10 9 03-11-2012 08:18 PM
Those running 3s Lipo - what are you running, what do you like? goldmember Team Losi Comp Crawler 41 09-19-2009 06:39 AM