Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Introduction and wraith build...Major electronics failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Default Introduction and wraith build

I'd like to introduce myself to the forum with my current wraith build and my current electronics problems. First of all my name is Jonny and I've been into rc for about 5 years. Most recently I had 1/5th scale gas stuff (KM Baja and a Losi 5ive-T) but just lost interest. After getting out of the 1/5th scale stuff last year I got the chance to run a wraith that a friend of mine has and I was hooked. So with that out of the way. My current build began life as a wraith spawn RTR.

Modification list:

RC4WD steering
Axial suspension links
RC4WD link ends
Axial u-joint axle shafts
Beeftubes in both axles
Hitec 7955TG servo
CC BEC
overdrive front gears/underdrive rear gears
Locked up FI Spools
RC4WD ARB diff covers front and rear
Fast Eddy bearings
Steel Transmission Gears
Dig kit
56t spur and 10t pinion
Axial 55t motor
Yeah racing truss front and rear
Yeah racing C hubs
STRC steering knuckles
Vanquish clamp on lock outs
Droop kit
120mm HR Shocks
Pro Line Super Swampers
Crawler Innovations comp cut foams
Powder coated aluminum panels
Canvas roof
Steel rock sliders
2s lipo and now currently 3s lipo

Last edited by ridgesidecrawler; 02-14-2016 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Electronics problems solved
ridgesidecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

Default Introduction and wraith build...Major electronics failure

Now onto my problems and hopefully my solutions. I managed to run 5-6 3s lipo packs on the stock esc and then things went majorly wrong. I was fully aware that the stock ae-5 would eventually give out and I was just holding off so I could upgrade the esc and the motor at the same time. Last week i swapped out steering servos due to my 7955 returning from Hitec from repair. I plugged in my battery to center the servo and install the horn, unplugged the battery while i tightened up the screws (clamp on servo horn), and then i plugged the battery back in but this time it was turning the tires slowly in reverse without touching the transmitter and immediately smoke poured out from what looked like the ESC. The following day I started disassembly and testing but to my surprise i found that not only was the ESC fried but also the 3 week old CC BEC and my receiver. I tested the BEC with a volt meter and i get 12.6 going in but only 0.59 going out? I reset it with the castle link but before that my old saved setting of 6.0 volts was still there. I cant seem to understand how the BEC and receiver could have fried because the ESC fried. Does anybody have any thoughts on what could have happened?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Introduction and wraith build...Major electronics failure

maybe the jumper on the esc was in the wrong spot. maybe set for NiMh instead of LiPo. just a thought
lzysmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The jumper was definitely in the right spot previously because I've never switched it and I've ran somewhere around 40 2s packs through it since I got it. I did wonder if it had possibly slid out and didn't make contact though and I have no idea what that would do. It just seemed odd to me that the BEC and the receiver fried at the same time but if the ESC was going to a dead short there is a chance that just the heat alone from a shorted out 3s battery could burn up the BEC. I'll find out for sure in a couple days because I have all new parts arriving tomorrow. I got a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL ESC, Tekin pro 40t handwound motor, and another Castle BEC. I also got some parts to add rear steer which is where my build thread here will really begin.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #5

Here are couple pics to get up to date with where the wraith currently is.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The Hitec Servo could have damaged the BEC. You say this had to be repaired.

Are you not having axle jitter with the OD/UD setup? I'd always read it was better to just UD the rear and leave the front the stock ratio? Wonder how this will affect the rear steer? May make that part work better.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:38 AM   #7

I am skeptical of the servo. I sent it in for broken gears. Not to bash Hitec but the wrangler wraith in the pic above had gear issues also with the same model 7955 servo. After the servo was fixed by hitec on warranty it only lasted 5 minutes and then caught on fire. I am in no way bashing Hitec in general because I absolutely love this servo and I would recommend it to any one and I probably won't buy any other brand servo again. I am concerned with the two similarities though and I'll definitely make sure to test the servo without the new motor or ESC hooked up first.

To answer your question about the overdrive/underdrive. I have only used it this way for about 2 or 3 hours but I can honestly say that i haven't noticed any type of binding or jitter. I will also say that I noticed a big difference in climbing and descending over the standard gears. I still don't plan to run on any high traction surfaces such as pavement for any extended periods of time. I spend most of my time on rocks and dirt anyway.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

when an electronic device fails it has the potential to fry anything and everything connected to it as well, especially if there's a direct short. and receivers are fragile
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses. I really didn't think about it going to a dead short and that is probably what happened. That especially makes sense since the ESC got instantly hot as soon as the battery was plugged in. Now hopefully the servo isn't fried also since I had no way to test it yet.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #10

Now onto the build portion of the this thread. I only have a few updates but I'm going to try to get more pics as the build moves forward. I received all my parts yesterday from RPP Hobby and got started by installing the wertymade electronics plate. I mounted the ESC in front of the battery to keep it up away from water. The receiver box is mounted high in the rear to also keep it away from water as much as possible. I also got the servo mounted to the rear axle and installed the c hubs. I would have got the rear steer completely installed but I wasted one of the carrier bearings trying to remove the axle shaft from the locked up RC spool.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #11

Default Introduction and wraith build

I got a few updates for the build thread. I got the wraith back in working order. The Hitec servo I had repaired had nothing to do with the electronic failure so I assume that it was just the ESC going to a dead short that caused the BEC and the receiver to fry.

The rear steering install went very smooth once I got replacement carrier bearings to replace the ones I scrapped. I made the mistake of not removing enough material on the axle shafts the first time I installed them into the locked up rc spool which made removing them almost impossible. I made sure to make the new axle shafts fit tight in the spool but not so tight that they could be removed without a large amount of force. Another thing I wanted to discuss is for anybody installing beef tubes. We have noticed that certain c hubs and lockouts vary in thickness which can cause problems when installing screws that go through both the plastic axle and then thread into the beef tube. If using stock c hubs or lockouts the screws will be to long and they end up touching the axle shaft just before they are tight on the housing. Even if the axle shaft still spins it is still a good idea to check and makes sure the screws aren't rubbing the axle shaft at all. You can see in the picture below that I put very small washers on the screws to stop them from rubbing the axle shaft. The c hubs I'm using are the stock ones from the front and the steering knuckles are the new double sheer units from axial that come stock on the rr10 bomber. These steering knuckles are suppose to be stronger than the stock wraith so I decided to see how well they would hold up to my abuse.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #12

Default Re: Introduction and wraith build

So far all I can say about my rear steer and electronics upgrade is WOW!! The tekin pro 40t combined with the holmes hobbies BR-XL on 3s has such smooth yet intense power. I have yet to plug the castle link into the ESC and I probably wont even attempt to tune it until the weather gets a little nicer here in Pa. Out of the box though the BR-XL works excellent. I have yet to see anywhere near the potential of the rear steer but so far I can't believe how much more capable it has made this rig. I currently have a 7955 servo in the front and a 5645 servo in the rear but as I suspected the 5645 (which was my spare servo) is no where near strong enough to turn the rear tires once its in the rocks. My next step is going to be replacing the rear servo with another 7955 and upgrading my transmitter to something with 4 channels and mixing capabilities. Any input on different transmitters will be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to be able to use channel mixing but yet still have 2 buttons to control the rear just like I currently use on my tactic TTX300.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Introduction and wraith build...Major electronics failure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Slignshot Build = Complete Failure =/ NoDecoDiver Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 22 01-09-2009 11:25 AM
major electronics issue, help needed mikedoug Electronics 2 11-09-2008 03:41 PM
An introduction with a new build. flakkie Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 07-02-2008 10:17 PM