Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Spyder Crawler Build Practical Budget 1st Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

My very first build after reading many many forums and advice on here. Purchased the Axial Spyder roller from ebay brand new $250 I have 3 power plants to run this Tekin RS, Tekin rx8 gen2, Speed Passion 1.1 esc.

Primarily 3s brushed 35t holmes hobby will run this at super crawling speeds. I'm thinking the Tekin RS will power this perfect and keeps weight down. Thoughts and best location for esc? under the hood?

Last edited by Blinkfan5150; 03-10-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Blinkfan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Most electrics up front has become a spiders nest of things. If I put battery behind firewall which sounds like best location to run a bigger battery, do you guys just make an esc plate to bolt on?

Installed my old Savox for 3s hopefully it's going to give me the torque I need.
Steering links are ordered. Hot Racing had some nice black ones.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Spyder Crawler Build Practical Budget 1st Time

Just make your own
ossipeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I run the same servo and it does the job but leaves me wanting more.
For the battery I made mine from styrene but will be purchasing one once I install a winch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan5150 View Post

Most electrics up front has become a spiders nest of things. If I put battery behind firewall which sounds like best location to run a bigger battery, do you guys just make an esc plate to bolt on?
Here is a pic of how I did the electronics in my old wraith. In the box is an Tekin RS and the RX. Only thing that didn't fit was the BEC.

Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
I run the same servo and it does the job but leaves me wanting more. For the battery I made mine from styrene but will be purchasing one once I install a winch. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Does the servo run stronger on 3s? Got my CI foams in. Eddie was super cool. Scored some Motorworxs 2.2 for $145 total shipped. Super clean and I think the red rings work well. Everything mounted perfectly so far with the rock beast II

Last edited by Blinkfan5150; 03-16-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
Here is a pic of how I did the electronics in my old wraith. In the box is an Tekin RS and the RX. Only thing that didn't fit was the BEC.
I see you have lights. Wish I had bought the 4ch remote instead of the 2ch spectrum. Regretting it now.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

You should have ordered Eddie's electronicso tray for the front of the wraith while you ordered the foams.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I run mine on 3s but spec is only 6 volts for 277oz. I have my bec set to 6 to make sure I get all I can but still find it to be on the low side for how big this rig is. Keep in mind I run 2.2 and it looks like your going with 1.9.

Hatefulboy, have a link to tray?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I run mine on 3s but spec is only 6 volts for 277oz. I have my bec set to 6 to make sure I get all I can but still find it to be on the low side for how big this rig is. Keep in mind I run 2.2 and it looks like your going with 1.9.

Hatefulboy, have a link to tray?

Wertymade Wraith forward mount battery tray Stub Nose w/Servo winch mount
Wertymade battery/winch trays are the only way to go with a wraith. They stiffen the front end up so much and provide a servo winch location, which will be helpful in the future.
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Oh I thought you was talking about a different tray I didn't know about.. Thanks for taking the time tho
Old 03-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Oh I thought you was talking about a different tray I didn't know about.. Thanks for taking the time tho

You're welcome. He was talking about this plate here:
Axial Wraith Front Electronics Tray - Crawler Innovations
which is a great plate for putting your battery and electronics onto. For my situation, I run my electronics elsewhere and had an extra servo laying around. So turning it into a winch was the best option. Also with the Wertymade plate, it's metal and mounts around four of the frame rails which adds exponentially more stiffness.
Just my two cents
Old 03-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Think I'll do the winch and front bumper after I finish the steering and front axle mods or I flip another house. I need cash, lol.

So stock gearing 18t pinion and underdrive in rear 35T motor and this rig is way to fast for crawling good.

Should 87 Spur and 14 or so pinion slow it to a good speed?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

So this Tekin RS has internal BEC and according to instructions is not voltage adjustable. Correct me if I'm wrong. I pulled off

I don't know what they are or if I need them. Are they BEC's?

I was inquiring about BEC because higher volts means higher torque on steering servo. Right???
Old 03-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Yes you are correct. More voltage/more power. Just check to see what the max voltage you can run through your servo and set your BEC to that. Pulling off that internal BEC was a good idea. Also look into a receiver bypass from Holmes Hobbies to hook up your BEC and servo. Also those other things you pulled off are Capacitors. They hook into one of your receiver channels so when you get fluctuation of power through your receiver, they keep it constant. Much like a capacitor in a subwoofer system. If you get the rx bypass then you don't need them at all. If you plan on getting a high torque servo, I would recommend picking a bypass up.

Very nice build by the way
Old 03-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
Yes you are correct. More voltage/more power. Just check to see what the max voltage you can run through your servo and set your BEC to that. Pulling off that internal BEC was a good idea. Also look into a receiver bypass from Holmes Hobbies to hook up your BEC and servo. Also those other things you pulled off are Capacitors. They hook into one of your receiver channels so when you get fluctuation of power through your receiver, they keep it constant. Much like a capacitor in a subwoofer system. If you get the rx bypass then you don't need them at all. If you plan on getting a high torque servo, I would recommend picking a bypass up. Very nice build by the way
Thanks

Well she's going on her first climb this weekend. I'm going to use the upgrade when broken theme and see how soon I will need the 10 piece link kits.

Still have my 87t spur gear to slow her down a bit coming next week. Still too fast for my taste in 3s.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Are you running the stock transmitter?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
Are you running the stock transmitter?
Spectrum
Old 03-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

How did the hill climb go?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

No hill climbing
Life got in the way
Studying for California Real Estate Exam
Why does life always get in the way when you wanna go rc'ing???
I got some goodies in the mail since I flipped a house got some $$$ fun money in. Ordered the Hot Racing steering and full 8 piece link set from eBay $49.99.

Also ordered a Level 3 Racing droop/lift kit for anticipation for some new shock
Going from 90mm stock to 104mm.
The original screw doesn't go back in Hot Racing Steering linkage
Hot racing gives us a spacer and new screw to install on new linkage. Gots nice and snug.

Started with the lower linkage and found 1.5 Allen wrench on center screws and 2.0 Allen on axle screws.

Hot Racing links screwed in tight and measured perfect.

Links turned out good.
Going crawling on Sat hopefully I could GoPro some footage before/after shocks. I'll try and do the same trails to see before and after.

Spyder Crawler Build Practical Budget 1st Time - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's $50 Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build Harley Axial Wraith 690 07-05-2016 02:59 PM
1st time kit build n3cron99 Axial Wraith 16 03-19-2015 08:18 PM
Poison Spyder Wraith $50/Week Budget Build Series Harley Scale Videos! 1 07-15-2013 11:53 AM
1st TIME TLT-10 BUILD one legged machinist Tamiya TLT Crawlers 29 01-10-2006 01:25 PM