Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Leading arms for Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Leading arms for Wraith

Anyone running leading arms on their Wraith?

I'm currently running Yeti trailing arms on my wraith (set up for U4) and am thinking about using leading arms as well.

Not sure if anyone has yeti arms front and back? Or if twin hammers arms might be better for the front leading arms on a wraith?

Anyone?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Leading arms for Wraith

What's are "leading" arms exactly?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxreeves View Post
What's are "leading" arms exactly?
Trailing arms used up front, another aesthetic mod.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ahhh. I'm pretty sure Twin hammers will work. Not sure exactly.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I run stainless trailing arms in back and stainless leading arms up front (j.e.c racing). Adds LCG to the wraith and brutal strength.
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall046 View Post
I run stainless trailing arms in back and stainless leading arms up front (j.e.c racing). Adds LCG to the wraith and brutal strength.

Are they the same arms frond and back?? As in the same product, same dimensions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnieman View Post
Are they the same arms frond and back?? As in the same product, same dimensions.

Stainless steel (material) Larger dia in back and 3/8 dia up front (larger hits drive shaft in front If not).
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
Has to do with shock cycling speeds, spring rate tuning and suspension leverage.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Has to do with shock cycling speeds, spring rate tuning and suspension leverage.
Yeah, all of which can be altered/adjusted with your shocks mounted to the axle. It's aesthetic, it looks "cool" or "sick" or whatever, so it's "better" for a multitude of BS reasons.

If you like the trailing and/or leading arms, great, bolt them up and enjoy.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, all of which can be altered/adjusted with your shocks mounted to the axle. It's aesthetic, it looks "cool" or "sick" or whatever, so it's "better" for a multitude of BS reasons.

If you like the trailing and/or leading arms, great, bolt them up and enjoy.
Better call Geiser Brothers and tell them to stop using all those "aesthetic" mods
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Baja, desert, trophy, stadium, are different trucks dip-****, traveling and cornering at high speeds and leaving, then returning to the ground at those high speeds warrants a different suspension. Trailing arms have their place in off-road racing, but they're not at all necessary on a Wraith or any rock-racer/bouncer/crawler. But people like the way they look, and some feel they have to justify why they made the switch. I guess "because I wanted to" just isn't reason enough for them.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Baja, desert, trophy, stadium, are different trucks dip-****, traveling and cornering at high speeds and leaving, then returning to the ground at those high speeds warrants a different suspension. Trailing arms have their place in off-road racing, but they're not at all necessary on a Wraith or any rock-racer/bouncer/crawler. But people like the way they look, and some feel they have to justify why they made the switch. I guess "because I wanted to" just isn't reason enough for them.

Haha when anger and uneducated mixes you get this guy. Give it a rest mate. We get it - you think trailing arms are just for looks. Fortunately your anger makes you easily dismissed. As original post says, this set up is for Ultra 4 and thus high speed travelling and cornering etc is exactly what the suspension is required to do.
Thanks to those who contributed in a helpful way. I am going to give the TH arms a miss as they are a touch short and then don't have rod ends that allow lengthening and shortening like the Blue Monkey ones do.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnieman View Post
Haha when anger and uneducated mixes you get this guy. (chose not to repeat the rest of your, whatever you want to call it)
No one's angry, dip-**** is one of those phrases adults use when they're joking with or picking on each-other. He was/is comparing two completely different off-roaders, but he was hoping I didn't know the difference.

I know some of you guys get your feelings hurt and defensive when someone "dis's" your beloved trailing arms. So it will be hard for you to understand this, but there's nothing anyone could say or do on a forum to actually make me the slightest bit angry. I'm not that fragile or temperamental. I quit getting angry with anonymous internet travelers a long time ago. If I start getting annoyed with someone or they become tedious, I just quit reading their posts long before their mild nuisance could induce anger.

As for uneducated, you're the one buying the trailing arm hype. Yes, unlike you, I did think. Then I researched, actual research, not forum gossip. Then I worked and experimented with both. Trailing arms on the front or rear of a Wraith are purely aesthetic. You can get the same lift, drop, articulation, "twist", "rotation", stability, durability, etc., etc. from the links. Trailing arms are simply not necessary on this particular vehicle. However, aside from adding a little bulk when compared to the links, they're not hindering anything either. So, if you like the way they look, run them until the next "innovation" appears.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No one's angry, dip-**** is one of those phrases adults use when they're joking with or picking on each-other. He was/is comparing two completely different off-roaders, but he was hoping I didn't know the difference.

I know some of you guys get your feelings hurt and defensive when someone "dis's" your beloved trailing arms. So it will be hard for you to understand this, but there's nothing anyone could say or do on a forum to actually make me the slightest bit angry. I'm not that fragile or temperamental. I quit getting angry with anonymous internet travelers a long time ago. If I start getting annoyed with someone or they become tedious, I just quit reading their posts long before their mild nuisance could induce anger.

As for uneducated, you're the one buying the trailing arm hype. Yes, unlike you, I did think. Then I researched, actual research, not forum gossip. Then I worked and experimented with both. Trailing arms on the front or rear of a Wraith are purely aesthetic. You can get the same lift, drop, articulation, "twist", "rotation", stability, durability, etc., etc. from the links. Trailing arms are simply not necessary on this particular vehicle. However, aside from adding a little bulk when compared to the links, they're not hindering anything either. So, if you like the way they look, run them until the next "innovation" appears.

I run them because of the performance improvement which they yield. I am not worried about how they look underneath my wraith. We don't tend to go around admiring other driver's bottom sides very often but hey, if that's your thing...

Old 04-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Trailing vs leading arms are typically determined by packaging. The front frame of most race rigs have sufficient strength to mount the shocks forward enough to attach them to the axle. They also typically don't have as much travel as the rear, especially trophy trucks. The rear typically uses trailing arms so the upper shock mounts can be incorporated into a high strength frame area, they also tend to run extreme amounts of travel, where having the shock attached further up the arm gives it the length to allow such travel. Imagine how big the shock would be to have a 36"-40" stroke.
msrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #16
RCC Addict

My Wraith goes 25. Well it used to, until it was parted out to build a Bomber. The longer trailing arm suspension is a massive improvement over the Wraith.

A WE Rock jeep and a KOH jeep are both jeeps. Serve different purposes though.

And I wouldn't be too happy about anyone I know calling me a dipshit. I am an adult and don't "pick on" people like a child.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:

The OP did not ask for opinions about using them. He was wondering how different length arms would effect performance. If he wants to use them then so be it. I personally think they look good and if thats the look they are going after then let it be. It just adds another level of tuning that may nail down the way he wants it to handle. If you have done the research on them maybe you should post your findings in your own thread instead of spitting out your opinions in this one.

I would go witht he Wraith length just to keep the wheelbase down a bit. It's going to start getting pretty long with Yetis front and rear.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I can guarantee you are wrong sir.

To the OP, yes leading arms are a great set-up for U4rc and I can say for sure I have noticed my rig has worked much better ever since I have gone that route. For U4rc you can actually run Yeti trailing arms front and rear and that would still let you be legal at the 15in wheel base.

Last edited by Shoei1; 04-15-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
The OP did not ask for opinions about using them.
That's why I wasn't talking to him in the first place, he was already a trailing arm "drinker". Since we're on the subject anyway, I didn't ask for your opinion, hype or bull-shit either. It was a differing view point voiced to another person, get over it and move on.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
That's why I wasn't talking to him in the first place, he was already a trailing arm "drinker". Since we're on the subject anyway, I didn't ask for your opinion, hype or bull-shit either. It was a differing view point voiced to another person, get over it and move on.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Leading arms for Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailing & Leading arms for Wraith byrnieman Axial Wraith 2 01-18-2016 03:01 PM
Wraith Trailing Arms? mudbeast2 Axial Wraith 28 01-09-2016 09:18 AM
VP ackerman arms for wraith on a TH??? stick-boy-rick Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 03-11-2013 08:38 PM