Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Oh so many choices! Why so many Wraiths?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #1

Default Oh so many choices! Why so many Wraiths?

Hey!

I'm am still on the search for the correct car for me. I have pretty much settled on the Wraith because of the aftermarket support and the number of mods I can do right off the bat for my needs.

Now I have to figure out which one! I really had no idea there were so many choices. I will ultimately order from my local hobby shop (even though they have to order it in, I like to support the local shop to keep them in business and I'm willing to pay a bit more to do that and have in the past). Still, I try to do my research online prior to purchase.

I've been looking at Amazon and they have so many choices my head is spinning. I've read the descriptions and I'm still lost as to the differences. Some are clear (the bomber has a different cage and an extra tire) but some I can't tell. I may or may not be running a body (I like the frame but will likely make panels). So other than the bodies, I'm really not clear on the differences.

Here is what I mean. Starting with the cheapest option:

http://www.amazon.com/Axial-Racing-A...s=axial+wraith

It still comes RTR but looks like the same ESC and Motor. And this one is a bit more:

Amazon.com: Axial AX90045 1/10 Wraith Spawn 4WD RTR Racer: Toys & Games

Then you get up to not quite the most expense but still more:

http://www.amazon.com/Axial-Racing-W...s=axial+wraith

and this one which I can only figure has different panels on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Axial-90031-Wr...s=axial+wraith

So I'm asking for help. I really can't see much difference in them other than the bodies they are coming with. What am I missing? Perhaps the bodies are the only difference...
cwhfsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Oh so many choices! Why so many Wraiths?

I thought the kits didn't come with electronics? If you plan on upgrading over time, save your self the long run money and buy a kit and get the powertrain you really wanna run, then it really comes down to the body you want. I liked the spawn body being that it was different from the typical body panels. But over time the body got used and abused and I ended up with metal panels.
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It's easier to compare them at Axial's web site Axial Racing - WRAITH

There are 3 RTRs - The original Wraith (black & green), the Poison Spider (blue) and the Spawn (gray). The Spawn also comes in a kit version, the one you see as red, although it comes unpainted. Most of the differences are cosmetic but the Spawn kit is the newest release and has some updated components plus the kits come with some upgraded parts. In my opinion a kit is the way to go and is the best route to learning and getting the most enjoyment from the hobby
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Just went through the same thing trying to decide which one to buy. Really wanted the buggy look of the original Wraith but liked the upgrades that came with the kit plus I was able to choose the motor and electronics I wanted so I went with the Spawn Kit. Sold the Spawn body and built panels out of aluminum so it has the buggy look. Ended up getting the kit for under $300 too.
I have always liked the kits because it give you a good working knowledge of the vehicle.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the help. Looks like the kit will be the way to go. Now to start researching electronics...
Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Holmes Hobby motor and ESC hands down for powertrain. Puller pro 3500kv motor with Trailmaster BLE pro. Sitting at 1 year of no problems running on both 2S and 4S battery power.
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
Holmes Hobby motor and ESC hands down for powertrain. Puller pro 3500kv motor with Trailmaster BLE pro. Sitting at 1 year of no problems running on both 2S and 4S battery power.
Be warned - if you put that kind of power into a stock Wraith and you'll be needing upgrades very soon! But it will likely be the only motor and ESC you ever need to buy for the rig
Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

Thanks for the heads up. I was already looking at the Holmes motors but haven't figured out which one would best fit my needs... since this will be for FPV I don't want something fast, but don't want it too fast either because it is hard to control.

Thinking sensored brushless as I really like the idea of going slow and not having it being jerky.

Have a good day!
Old 04-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #9

Hmmm... I don't mind spending a bit more money for more reliability but going from 400 RTR to 600 with that motor and ESC is a lot. Since I'm never going to use the stock radio a kit does make since, but I think keeping it around 500 or so (plus shipping) for the kit and motor/ESC would be much more preferable...

Never going into water/mud and mostly trail runs (but will be doing some steep trails/roots which I guess means I really should invest in something better).

Sigh...
Old 04-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

A general recommendation for the budget-minded is to get the RTR and then upgrade as parts break or are no longer sufficient. You could always sell the stock radio on the classifieds or save it for your next kit.

Some people can run a stock rig for months before needing upgrades, it mostly depends on your driving style. I would definitely recommend that when you do upgrade, get the best you can afford at the time. It beats the heck out of upgrading 2 or 3 times.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #11

Yea, I've never been one to do things have-ased. I'd rather do it right the first time. I'm sold on getting the kit and a good motor-ESC, I just don't want to overkill it either.

Still, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking I need to spring for the better setup because I am going to be putting more weight in the truck (extra battery and all the FPV equipment) and that will put more of a strain on things. Plus, if things work out, I would be doing longer runs (30-45 minutes) and I don't want to stress out the stock stuff too quickly.

I'm talking myself into it slowly. Then I have to talk the wife into it quickly!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

So I know I will probably get some choice replies about this suggestion, BUT I had good luck with the Novak Timbuk2/Ballistic Crawler Brushless setup when I first got my kit. It's only 180 bucks on Tower Hobbies and can run 2S-4S batteries (which is nice to have down the road as you realize having more power is awesome!)
I too bought some upgraded parts when I first started because I didn't know how addicting this hobby is and how much fun a well built machine can bring. I have since RE-upgraded everything on my truck and now I'm invested somewhere around the 2500 mark. It would have been a lot less if I had chosen the more expensive parts right off the bat instead of buying stuff twice. So as far as your motor choice goes, look at it as you can spend the 500 dollars now to get a B level product and then spend another 300 later. OR spend that extra hundred bucks now and not have to worry about it again....... Lesson learned for this guy LOL
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I already had a Flysky GT3c , Rx $9 Amazon. Went with an Axial AE5 esc $35 eBay, AE3 might be a better choice it's programmable. Tactic HH55 servo $25 eBay. Motor 27T Holmes 540 Sport can motor $14.88 eBay. So far less than $100 I have a drivable Wraith Spawn Kit.

I do trailing/climbing and this setup is working good. I did put 45w oil in the shocks.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
So I know I will probably get some choice replies about this suggestion, BUT I had good luck with the Novak Timbuk2/Ballistic Crawler Brushless setup when I first got my kit. It's only 180 bucks on Tower Hobbies and can run 2S-4S batteries (which is nice to have down the road as you realize having more power is awesome!)
I too bought some upgraded parts when I first started because I didn't know how addicting this hobby is and how much fun a well built machine can bring. I have since RE-upgraded everything on my truck and now I'm invested somewhere around the 2500 mark. It would have been a lot less if I had chosen the more expensive parts right off the bat instead of buying stuff twice. So as far as your motor choice goes, look at it as you can spend the 500 dollars now to get a B level product and then spend another 300 later. OR spend that extra hundred bucks now and not have to worry about it again....... Lesson learned for this guy LOL
That sounds exactly like what I did - same Novak combo from Tower. It did pretty good for a couple months until I found out I hadn't waterproofed the ESC as well as I thought and poof. Then it was on to a MMP until I got sick of worrying about water, the fan being noisy and the motor just didn't have enough kick. I broke down and got the HH BLE Pro, waterproof of course, and a Puller Pro. I have had zero problems since, never worry about them and it's made my rig way more fun. I have a similar story about servos. And stage 1 kits.

Buy once, cry once!!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #15

And see you that is why I asked questions here because better to get good stuff upfront then to constantly have to upgrade. Thank you again everyone for your help I really do appreciate it. I will just save up a little bit more and try to do it right the first time.

Oh so many choices! Why so many Wraiths? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My wraiths JtsYfz450 Axial Wraith 0 04-28-2014 07:57 PM
Two Wraiths diggerj Axial Wraith 8 09-18-2013 08:48 PM
2 wraiths k.o.h. ROLANDROCKSHOP Scale Videos! 1 07-17-2011 05:45 AM
** Wraiths in Motion ** Axial Wraiths attack the PNW! toyofast Scale Videos! 25 07-03-2011 09:23 AM