Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New SSD 2 Speed Transmission kit for Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New SSD 2 Speed Transmission kit for Wraith

From Skid to top of servo (Traxxas WP) its 2.5". This is taken at the back of the trans. The front height is stock as mentioned above.
Weather permitting, I'll give this trans a workout tomorrow.
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, just wanted to make sure it will bit the Bomber with the Trans adaptor plate.
jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I used a full sized Traxxas servo because I had it in stock. The trans could be shifted with a much smaller servo which would reduce the overall height.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Couldn't break it. Gave it a good test in both high & low gear...

Even carried some extra weight down to the creek.

The new trans works great and shifts are good. I say Get one.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

is it sloppy like the rc4wd ax2? Im so very unhappy in the ax2 and its ability to snap mip cross pins every 5 minutes from the slop. What a lemon.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #26
SSD
RCC Addict

This trans will have the same play to allow you to change on the throttle. All 2 speeds have this characteristic.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Once upon a time, I was a drag racer, full scale. One of the first things I learned was to pre-load the transmission. This is easing out the clutch with the hand break pulled. This made sure all the gears wear loaded against each other and that no slop was available to Break Shit. I've had an ax2 and the Yeti 2 speed and I've yet to Break a pin. I've broken gears and shafts. Ease into an obstical then give it the juice. Practice finger control (throttle)
PS, both cars have Tekin Pro4 HD motors & 2.2 Pitt Bulls which is a "sure to Break something" combo.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Got my transmission today and looks awesome can't wait to run it. I found I only needed the parts listed below and didn't need the other parts and bearings listed to complete.

Parts need to complete the trans.
2 5X10X4 Bearings AXA1218
1 20T Drive gear AX80010
1 Pin 1.5X8 AX30162
Axial Top Shaft AX30198 or AX31149
Spur gear with slipper clutch to match top shaft
Spur Cover AX80078
jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #29

I'm getting mine on friday. I have Wraith trans and axles in/ on my Gmade R1. It will be tight near the battery tray, but I've already thought about that. My rig is already pretty unstoppable with a 13.5 reedy and a 2s pack. This will be perfect for it.
schlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #30

I like the SSD because it is a kit. Stock parts apply (I like OEM parts). With the spur gear cover it's about an $80 dollar difference from the RC4WD to SSD. I like the look of the SSD, too. For a Wraith the SSD is what I am looking for. Is there any reason I should hold out for the RC4WD 2 speed?
Rybroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #31

I say go for it my friend has this one and it has been awesome I can't wait to get one for mine
bigplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplow View Post
I say go for it my friend has this one and it has been awesome I can't wait to get one for mine
Thanks. I'm going to order it this weekend and strap a 35t motor to it. What motor will you be applying?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #33

A 35t also that's what's on my friends and in high he can keep up with my 20t so I think it makes a perfect match
Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #34

Glad to hear it. I was hoping that set-up would match the 20t top end. I might put a larger pinion on the 35t. it would be ideal if I could get a little more speed in between the rock piles.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #35

We wh

Were out crawling and trailing today and I could out run him with my 20t but then that motor went south put my 35t in and we were about the same then his motor acted up went and cleaned the brushes and he changed his gearing found out the spawn has 12 54 gears my rock racer has 20 80 he changed his pinion to 16 it looks th to be a little faster now hope this helps
Old 09-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #36

I just got the Tekin 35t brushed HD and a 3000 mah 30c 3s battery to go with it. I feel like it goes as fast as my 20t motor on 5000 mah 2s. Now it has some real bite! Climbs better. It leaps higher over obstacles than the 20t did when you throttle it at the bottom of a stump or rock. Goes over rough ground at top speed without bogging down and, best of all, the motor only gets warm! No more waiting 15 minutes while the 20t cools to then drive for 8 minutes. I am very pleased. I don't think I'm going to get a 2 speed. I've been reading and it just seems like more trouble, more parts to manage and more money. Still might do the ratio kit down the line.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Can some one please post a video of top speed in low gear and a video of top speed in high gear. Thanks.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybroca View Post
I just got the Tekin 35t brushed HD and a 3000 mah 30c 3s battery to go with it. I feel like it goes as fast as my 20t motor on 5000 mah 2s. Now it has some real bite! Climbs better. It leaps higher over obstacles than the 20t did when you throttle it at the bottom of a stump or rock. Goes over rough ground at top speed without bogging down and, best of all, the motor only gets warm! No more waiting 15 minutes while the 20t cools to then drive for 8 minutes. I am very pleased. I don't think I'm going to get a 2 speed. I've been reading and it just seems like more trouble, more parts to manage and more money. Still might do the ratio kit down the line.
I like mine better with a 35t also mine is a boost though but it's great I am undecided on the 2spd now myself my friends with his 35t alone I did not like at all but we found out his ratio is different in the spawn yo the rock racer mine is 20/80 I think his was 12/56 he has the 2 spd and still didn't like the ratio I think he put in a 16 pinion it's much better now even in low he had the takin motor also
Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #39

Yeah. The Spawn is 12/56. In the 2 speed I think the low gear is too low. Throttling it would do very little. High gear is too high. Again, if your truck were stuck in the rocks the motor wouldn't have enough torque in high gear to jump out. I just got the Bomber RTR. The stock 35t on 3s 30c is awesome! The Axial 2 speed kit for the Bomber gives you options: low gear with stock gearing or high gear. That makes some sense. Still doubting I'll do 2 speed. These somewhat more expensive brushed motors seem to have a lot of room for turn choice, voltage and gearing. I'm thinking about putting a Holmes Torque Master 27t or 30t in the Bomber. I bet this thing will be a banshee. I might put in a little larger pinion in the Wraith, but I'm happy with it; especially seeing how capable the Bomber is with higher speeds. I think that's where I'll focus on increased speed for rock racing.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #40

Hey, SSD. I installed my SSD Wraith 2 speed a week or so ago. It's really well made. Lots of fun. But I have two issues. 1) The hard plastic piece attaching the shift lever to the servo horn linkage unscrews its self. 2) When top speed is reached in 2nd gear the shifter gets kicked out of gear. For #1 I put a nut on the threads of the shift rod sticking out of the end of the hard plastic piece. Seems fine now. Am I now impeding the shifter throw into 2nd? Like I said seems fine, but you know more than I. For #2 is my servo just too weak to hold the shifter in second once the tranny is wound up? It does fine accelerating to top speed. But when the pressure is off at top speed "pop"óneutral. My servo has about 45 ounces of torque. Will 111 ounces of torque solve my issue? Thanks. I'm liking your stuff.

New SSD 2 Speed Transmission kit for Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New SSD-RC High Ratio Wraith Transmission Kit KRAWLR4life Axial Wraith 18 08-22-2016 05:14 AM
RTR Yeti: Servo and radio options for SSD 2 speed kit? KellyC Axial Yeti 10 06-22-2015 07:14 PM