Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith Questions & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

Question Axial Wraith Questions & Help

Hello guys!
This is all new to me and my 11 year old daughter that's found us a new hobby. I recently bought a new Axial Wraith for us to rock crawl with. The city where I live just built a new rock park and we have had so much fun playing together. Problem is, we are already breaking things. My rig is pretty much stock other than the new Savox SC-1268 servo I put on it tonight. The old stock servo broke so instead of us not getting to hang out tonight I took her to our local hobby shop and bought this new servo. Question is, how good is it really? Should it be this loud, meaning it's always making noises not just when I turn. I do not have a BEC on it, but I'm not having any trouble with it diming or "brown out" like I think you guys call it. I am running a 7.4V 5000mAh 25c Lipo. My plan is to eventually as things break replacing everything on it to turn it into one crazy Rock crawler. Any ideas what might break next that I should worry most about or what I should buy next that would improve our rig the most?
Camcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Wraith Questions & Help

Plenty of threads exactly like this one that ask what first mods are needed to have a reliable truck. Check the Harley threads at the top of this page for more info than you'll be able to process in one night. Welcome to the forum.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

x2 on the "chattering" of the servo. Ive always figure it was a normal thing but I know the castle BEC doesn't come out of the box tuned to the power my servo recommends.
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have a Tactic tsx45 that does the same thing. But I have 2nd tsx45 that doesn't constantly make noise. But both work fine?
Orange peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

To answer the op, yes savox servos are noisy. I run one in my wraith. The next thing I would look into purchasing is a motor. Those 20t axial motors don't last long. I don't mean spend a fortune, just get a 40$ 35t motor from Holmes hobbies.
taco08jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

To answer the op, yes savox servos are noisy. I run one in my wraith. The next thing I would look into purchasing is a motor. Those 20t axial motors don't last long. I don't mean spend a fortune, just get a 40$ 35t motor from Holmes hobbies.
taco08jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

To get the most from that servo get a bec and set it to 7.4. The internal bec probably wont last long and not a good reason to brake down on a nice day.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I would recommend a Castle BEC. I'm a big fan of Hitec servo's!
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Plenty of threads exactly like this one that ask what first mods are needed to have a reliable truck. Check the Harley threads at the top of this page for more info than you'll be able to process in one night. Welcome to the forum.
I agree with this! Also if you have a spare few hours I also highly recommend watching Harley's Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build. He has all the vids in a playlist so you can sit back and check it out. Great source of info.
As far as the Savox servo goes they are quite noisy. I have 3 now and I just learned to live with it. Other than noise I have no complaints. But definitely get yourself a BEC to get the power to your servo.
The one thing that irritated me the most about the stock wriath was the flimsy steering links. I do unederstand that they were designed as such to work like a "servo saver" but after a few runs it was time for them to go.
I also wasn't a fan of the stock front axles and how they had the "wobble" in them when you have your tires turned all they way. So I changed those out right away and also got a little more steering out of it by going to Vanquish VVD's. There are quite a few other companies that have upgrades in that departement as well
bash-crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Until you go with more power I would focus my attention on all things plastic. Steering, suspension links, c hubs, knuckles, shocks. Then look at motor, esc , metal trans gears, mips and vvds to get that power to the axles. It adds up quick but the end result is fun, and it's hard to put a price on that specially since your daughter is playing to. A second rig is in your future as you dive further into this hobby
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I don't think my Savox 1230 is any noisier
then any other high output/torque digital servo that I've used.

Most all digital servos will make some noise
as they continually make attempt at hunting for center/neutral.

This causes a bacon sizzling sound while it attempts to find center.
But should cease if your steering servo/linkage finds it's neutral point
and the tires are not bound inbetween rocks and such.

If something is restricting the servo's ability to find center (neutral)...
the bacon sizzling sound will commonly never cease.

Besides the digital servo's centering noise
I really don't understand the complaint(s) of excessive servo noise.
Unless when maybe comparing an old analog type servo to a digital !?

After running my 1230 for a bit...
I really don't pay much mind to my servo's centering noise.
And that's even with my HH BR/XL set in it's silent mode.

IMO
more annoying then the servo's centering noise...
is the ESC's tones or beeps emitted during operation.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I wont say nothing about the savox Taco lol.

yes on the castle bec and I would get the bypass jumper

RX Bypass Adapter - Wiring and Wiring Accessories - Electronics

but you do need a castle link to program the bec

Best thing I did was get rid of the stock dogbones and put in axial universals...way more steering

Axial Wraith Universal Set

next time you open it up it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least put a metal idler gear in the trans

My stock knuckles and c-hubs seem to be holding up ok, so is the WB drive shafts....but like anything they will wear out and will need to be replaced.

don't make the mistake I did on my scx10 and Loctite the plastic trans housing....stripped out the plastic when I removed it...had to get a aluminum housing
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Wraith Questions & Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial wraith questions Mikael General Crawlers 4 11-29-2014 10:04 AM
Gmade R1 & Axial Wraith in Big Bear (Gold Mtn & John Bull trails) 4x4LOYR Videos! 4 09-28-2011 03:53 PM