Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Heat Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Wraith Heat Control

Wraith Bushed Motor Heat...

From all of the research I have done on my Wraith brushed motor heat issues, it seems like the only cure that I have found is to go brushless. Getting ready do drop some overtime cash on a new ESC and motor, I decided to take one last shot with the system I had, and it looks like I might have found a fix for under $5.

The problem, with an interior, the motor gets no air at all. So, I punched a hole in the center console, right behind the shifters and I installed a 20mm fan, blowing down.

Over the last two days I have done testing under 2S and 3S power. I was running 160 - 180*/F on 2S, and around 200'/F on 3S. Now I am running 110 - 120 on 2S, and 120 - 135 on 3S. This is pushing the truck as hard as I could on rocks, and five minute runs with the throttle wide open. The temps are so low, I started questioning my temp gun, so I put my finger on the motor endbell, and it is warm, but nowhere near hot and could keep it there all day long.
Maybe this is new news, maybe old, but certainly a cost-effective solution to heat that doesn't require $300 burning a hole in your pocket.

Sorry if this is a repeat, wasn't able to find an a thread recently that covered putting fans in.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith Heat Control

[QUOTE=Greatscott;5491130]Wraith Bushed Motor Heat...

From all of the research I have done on my Wraith brushed motor heat issues, it seems like the only cure that I have found is to go brushless. Getting ready do drop some overtime cash on a new ESC and motor, I decided to take one last shot with the system I had, and it looks like I might have found a fix for under $5.

The problem, with an interior, the motor gets no air at all. So, I punched a hole in the center console, right behind the shifters and I installed a 20mm fan, blowing down.

Over the last two days I have done testing under 2S and 3S power. I was running 160 - 180*/F on 2S, and around 200'/F on 3S. Now I am running 110 - 120 on 2S, and 120 - 135 on 3S. This is pushing the truck as hard as I could on rocks, and five minute runs with the throttle wide open. The temps are so low, I started questioning my temp gun, so I put my finger on the motor endbell, and it is warm, but nowhere near hot and could keep it there all day long.
Maybe this is new news, maybe old, but certainly a cost-effective solution to heat that doesn't require $300 burning a hole in your pocket.

Nice fix Scott. Clean install on the fan. Do you still go to comps in Washington?
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Wraith Heat Control

Those are a minimum 6-hour drive. There area couple of great crawling groups in Eastern WA and N. Idaho. The clubs are very active and the people are great.

My only complaint is that they are mainly scalers, and very few crawlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith Heat Control - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor and speed control for Wraith ANoodle Axial Wraith 16 06-28-2014 07:58 PM
Heat Shrinking - Lighter or Heat Gun? (Is there a DECENT Cordless Heat Gun?) MailManX Newbie General 22 01-30-2014 02:24 PM
VXL motor heat problems in wraith RcBashertruck Electronics 5 02-18-2013 08:56 AM
Axial Wraith speed control issue skybolt Electronics 10 11-11-2011 05:33 PM