Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: First wraith advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First wraith advice

I have been watching Harley designs Chanel and I decided I want to build my first scale type truck. I am brand new to this area of RC (I have been racing 1/8 buggy, truggy and 1/10 buggy for a couple years now) so that is my main area of knowledge. so I don't even know what these scale type trucks are classified as or called... Scale truck, Crawler? I know there are many different ones but I want this just as a fun truck. I don't have crawler comps here that unknown if I live in NY so I will just be using this to trail ride in the woods and creeks. what I am looking at doing is a wraith with a mattzilla wraithzilla or mantis chasis (or should I buy a wraith stock chasis and get a stiffy kit) and vp Currie axles, scale knuckles and c-hubs, axle shafts, grip fab lockers on 2.2 tires and wheels, etc... I am just not sure what the best setup is for electronics. I think I want to run the tekin roc412 but what esc should I use? Rx8, mm pro? I have a tekin rsx but I wasn't sure if ppl ran those in these trucks. I run it in my 1/10 race buggies. Also what is a good route to go for a tranny? I was looking at super shafty bomb proof but is there other options that are maybe slightly cheaper? Should I build a wraith tranny with steel gears? Idk. I would appreciate any and all advice on where to start and what parts and latest and coolest. Is what I listed a good start?
slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First wraith advice

Certainly a good start. But I would say to worry about your electronics before the chassis. I have a similar background to you and I decided on the RC412 and MMP. In sensored mode it is quite smooth and plenty of power with 3s. And relatively cheap. The bomb proof trans is nice, but I went with buying the pieces separately to get exactly what I wanted, red VP case and other bits.
I guess in short, first beef up the electronics and the drivetrain. New shocks, then worry about other things like the chassis wheels tires etc.
It is surprising how much your truck will change as time goes on. As you drive it and upgrade parts, what you want out of it will change and take you in another direction dictating different kinds of parts.
As for what scale it is, I don't think it really matters. In general you have 2.2" wheel and 1.9" wheels. The 1.9" wheel size are popular the the scale crowd, those making their trucks look just like the real thing. The 2.2 are a little bigger and used a lot for trail trucks or crawler/trail trucks.
Hope this helps a little.
There really isn't a wrong way to build your truck, so do what you like and enjoy it.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I run a mmp and roc412 with an rc4wd ax2 2 speed trans which i absolutely love. It is a must to upgrade everything drive train related. I didn't at first and broke something every time I went out. I'm still on the stock ring n pinion. Servo, steering and suspension links all need upgraded as I'm sure you've read. Once everything's upgraded the wraith is very fun. As far as shocks go I really like my gmade xd's in 103mm with proline powerstroke springs to get dual rate.

Last edited by cyberhog05; 04-24-2016 at 07:13 PM.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Cool thanks guys... I am building from scratch tho. Starting at the skid plate and working out. Question on Currie axles. Is the wrath and xr10 Different widths? Wraith would be the widest right ?

Last edited by slapjack; 04-24-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:25 AM   #5
RCC Addict

XR10 Axle falls between an SCX axle and Wraith/AR60 width wise
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
XR10 Axle falls between an SCX axle and Wraith/AR60 width wise

So what is AR60? That is the same as wraith? Is that the axle type or something (ar60)? Would the Currie axles be the best ones you get? I also came across rc4wd d44 axles? Those any better?

Last edited by slapjack; 04-25-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I decided to go with the Holmes Hobbies BLE esc and Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Pro 3300KV Sensored motor (lots of guys go with the puller pro 3500KV, bit too much money for me right now). I got both waterproofed from HH. I installed the setup this weekend and I have been very happy with it even just on 2s (3s to come). Ultra smooth crawling with a lot of power throughout the RPM range. I am starting with 12t pinion and 56t spur gear. Word to the wise, I blew the stock transmission gears within 15 minutes, replaced them with the Axial machined gear set.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I decided to go with the Holmes Hobbies BLE esc and Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Pro 3300KV Sensored motor (lots of guys go with the puller pro 3500KV, bit too much money for me right now). I got both waterproofed from HH. I installed the setup this weekend and I have been very happy with it even just on 2s (3s to come). Ultra smooth crawling with a lot of power throughout the RPM range. I am starting with 12t pinion and 56t spur gear. Word to the wise, I blew the stock transmission gears within 15 minutes, replaced them with the Axial machined gear set.
HH did the waterproofing for you?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
HH did the waterproofing for you?
Yes, it comes at an added cost but is done at their shop. One of the reasons I went with them. It did help all the positive feedback I've seen here and else where on their products.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I didn't prefer metal axles. The plastic ones slip and slide much better. I needed to add beef tubes or a truss for strength, and they will eventually wear through, but they are enough less expensive that it's worth it to just buy new ones when you need. Also, Dlux fab mods the stock axles to fit a larger bearing, and that mod saves a lot of wear and tear on the ring and pinion (diff) gears. Building from parts will always be super pricey, but every part is available from aftermarket makers, often with higher quality than Axial. Steel gears, MIP drive shafts, HD ring and pinion, HD lockers, CVDs or VVDs, metal knuckles and c-hubs are the most important upgrade parts. I've never destroyed a plastic trans housing, but it can be done, lol. The stock chassis is nice, but I continually destroyed the front end, and eventually replaced enough that it was more cost effective for me to get the MZ chassis. The wraithzilla is more of the scaler / crawler, and the mantis is more of a rock racer / trailing arm setup. Get a super beefy servo, too. 7950 has worked for me, especially with the internal collar mod. It's totally possible to fit a 550 size can, if you want. Sensored is critical for crawling. MMP, BLE or RX8 will be great.The only stock parts I have left on mine are the skid and the rear truss...
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I just checked out the HH site... Help me out with this. I was thinking of running a tekin rx8 and pro4 motor. How do the HH ble and puller pro compare to that? And which HH would best compare to that tekin setup? I want waterproof so them doing that is really cool. But is their motors 4pole? And what kv is good for a little crawling and some trail riding and running thru streams and creeks? I don't need blazing fast but I don't want a dead crawl speed either. I decided on the wraithzilla chasis with the vp curries. So not sure what kv is best for that type of weight. Lower the kv the more torque you get right? It seems like around 3300 is normal for these mattzilla type builds?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
I just checked out the HH site... Help me out with this. I was thinking of running a tekin rx8 and pro4 motor. How do the HH ble and puller pro compare to that? And which HH would best compare to that tekin setup? I want waterproof so them doing that is really cool. But is their motors 4pole? And what kv is good for a little crawling and some trail riding and running thru streams and creeks? I don't need blazing fast but I don't want a dead crawl speed either. I decided on the wraithzilla chasis with the vp curries. So not sure what kv is best for that type of weight. Lower the kv the more torque you get right? It seems like around 3300 is normal for these mattzilla type builds?
I'll be honest, I don't have experience with tekin products or with a lot of different power systems for that matter. I am just transitioning from RTR electronics to high grade. Learning as I go.

From my research on here though the popular setup is the HH BLE esc with the puller pro 3500KV. The motor is a 4 pole (the trailmaster pro that I got is only 2 pole). I would have gone with that motor but I could not justify the price difference to myself(not saying it isn't worth, it just didn't make sense for me). The 3500KV should give you great crawling ability when needs and good speed as well.

Hopefully someone else can chime in though that has more experience.

Last edited by Arctic Cat ZRT; 04-26-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I'd look at the pro4HD, 550 size. If I were going back to do it all over again, I'd get like a 2000 kv, I have the 3000 kv with the lowest possible gear ratio that will fit under the gear cover (32p 11/57 I think) and it is quite fast! It can go slow enough, but I'd like an even lower kv, if I could get it. Also, you could run a 4s battery if you needed the speed for some reason, and not have to change any parts...
Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlejon View Post
I'd look at the pro4HD, 550 size. If I were going back to do it all over again, I'd get like a 2000 kv, I have the 3000 kv with the lowest possible gear ratio that will fit under the gear cover (32p 11/57 I think) and it is quite fast! It can go slow enough, but I'd like an even lower kv, if I could get it. Also, you could run a 4s battery if you needed the speed for some reason, and not have to change any parts...
I was wondering about that too. But it seems like most people run around the 3000kv mark. through tower hobby I can get an RX8/T8 combo for like $255. The 2000kv T8 is a truggy motor which is about 8mm longer than the standard T8 buggy motors. I wonder if that would fit ok?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

T8 is a 1/8 scale. I highly doubt it will fit. The 1/10 550 is 36x63 or so, the T8 is 42x70.
I had to dremel a bit of the skid even to fit the 550 can.
Also T8 is 4s to 6s.
Look at the pro4hd and MMP or BLE. Holmes hobbies can waterproof them, and offers a discount if you build it as a combo.
I have tried several different combos in my wraiths and yetis, and this is really the most fun, durable and versatile. The esc could maybe be a bit beefier, it overheats eventually...
Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlejon View Post
T8 is a 1/8 scale. I highly doubt it will fit. The 1/10 550 is 36x63 or so, the T8 is 42x70.
I had to dremel a bit of the skid even to fit the 550 can.
Also T8 is 4s to 6s.
Look at the pro4hd and MMP or BLE. Holmes hobbies can waterproof them, and offers a discount if you build it as a combo.
I have tried several different combos in my wraiths and yetis, and this is really the most fun, durable and versatile. The esc could maybe be a bit beefier, it overheats eventually...
Ok so definitely the pro4 around 3000kv.... Which esc overheats? The ble? I was going to use the hot racing skid because there is no mod needed for a 550 supposedly. Would the mmp overheat as well? I have also heard of ppl using the rx8 but I don't know if I'd want to run that.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

My MMP overheats pretty often. I am running the 550 can, lots of muck, long 4-8 hour treks, hot, muggy weather, etc. it's usually worse at slow, technical speeds.
I waaaaaaaaay prefer the plastic skid.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Why the plastic skid? Just because it probably slides over stuff easier?
What about a tranny? Is the hot racing tranny pretty good? I was looking at the super shafty one but I think it was out of stock but then again so was the Hr one on the ss site. But figured I could find it somewhere else. Will both ss trans or the HR trans mount up to the plastic skid ok?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Go with an ax10/SCX10 Trans unless you plan on running the dig unit. It has a smaller footprint print so you have more space for the esc if you wanted to put it there. One of the guys at my lhs has the half interior and SCX Trans to put his MMP there along with his small 3s. Running it that way gives it good low weight. Just a thought.

TraneDrift
Newcrawler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcrawler24 View Post
Go with an ax10/SCX10 Trans unless you plan on running the dig unit. It has a smaller footprint print so you have more space for the esc if you wanted to put it there. One of the guys at my lhs has the half interior and SCX Trans to put his MMP there along with his small 3s. Running it that way gives it good low weight. Just a thought.

TraneDrift
Are those trans just as strong as the wraith trans and does hr or ss make trans for them or are you talking the stock trans? Could you get some pics of his
Setup? I've never messed with a wraith so seeing
Might help me understand it better.
Now my next dilemma is the chasis. I was set on the wraithzilla but then I came across the dmg long back sk and also the brg kit or brg lcg. I really like the spare tire on the back look with the brg. But I am so indesisive it sucks. I like them all.

First wraith advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little wraith advice surgetek Axial Wraith 0 01-19-2015 07:54 AM
Wraith trans advice please jwall046 Axial Wraith 17 01-14-2015 06:30 PM
New Wraith, Need upgrade advice OsiViper Axial Wraith 19 02-10-2014 12:38 PM
newbie needs wraith advice bigsky09 Newbie General 15 01-05-2014 05:17 AM
I'm looking for some advice from the Wraith professionals... mnstrbetle Axial Wraith 26 01-02-2014 08:53 PM