Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd vs vanquish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rc4wd vs vanquish

I don't see many ppl running the rc4wd axle housing (d44's I think they are called). Are those no good or just not as nice in comparison to the vanquish axles?
slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rc4wd vs vanquish

no good unless your drill and tap for 4 m4 screws on every end to hold on the chubs and lockouts in my firsthand experience
the holes strip too easily
go vanquish everytime imo or ssd
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

no problem.
if you dont have the $$$ for curries go for v2 housings. still a great housing and you get the bigger pinion mod that you dont get with rc4wd.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by microcrawlers View Post
no problem.
if you dont have the $$$ for curries go for v2 housings. still a great housing and you get the bigger pinion mod that you dont get with rc4wd.
I got the money for curries. I really like the rock jocks but I guess the f9 and v2 ocp have the larger bearings. But I think I can run the traxxas oillite bashing in the rockjock? Will that solve the issue of the smaller bearing that blows out? Or should I stick to the f9 or v2 ocp?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I think the whole, Traxxas oilite bushing mod proved to be, at best, the same as regular bearings. There have been at least three "new, better, improved" bushing types I've seen come and go with a big fizzle at the beginning then just faded out with availability. I'd go with SSD, V2 OCP, or F9s if you're concerned about the bearing strength. FYI, VP only enlarged the inside bearing to 5x13, SSD bumped both pinion bearings to 5x13.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think the whole bearing size thing was blown out of proportion. Stock size has been fine for me over the last few years. A much bigger issue is the horrible noise metal axles make scraping over rocks!
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
I think the whole bearing size thing was blown out of proportion. Stock size has been fine for me over the last few years. A much bigger issue is the horrible noise metal axles make scraping over rocks!
Inner pinion bearings don't live long happy lives under hard usage. Enlarging the inner and running thrust bearings on the outer is a good way to keep things happy.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Inner pinion bearings don't live long happy lives under hard usage. Enlarging the inner and running thrust bearings on the outer is a good way to keep things happy.
trash is right. bigger bears are always better
spin smoother and generate less heat while they are stronger and last longer with less driveline resistance

i have f9s and i love them. id stay away from rockjocks if i were you with the small bearings. bushings wont fix your problems
Old 04-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I guess I'll go with the the f9's. I did really like the whole floating locker that can just pop right out and u can adjust mesh and shims without Installing and un-installing into the axles. I just really liked the rock jock look. But thanks for the info on both.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Why is it the F9's are all In Stock but it is hard to
Find the rock jock axles? Just still debating on the axles. It is obvious the f9 is a better design but the rockjock is so much better looking... In my opinion. The one post above said the whole pinion thing was blown out of proportion. I am not
Going to be driving the rig super hard. But I will be creek crawling and trail riding. what would happen if that inside bearing blows out? Will it effect other parts or cause other damage or no?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have three sets of rock jocks and never had a bearing fail on 3s brushless power. All you have to do is check for any slop after each run. If you notice it getting loose, replace the bearings. I run ceramics on the pinion bearings for extra life. F9s are different but not necessarily better. Yes they have a bigger inner pinion bearing but that is the only definitive advantage. The diffs themselves are going to get hung up on obstacles much more than the smoother rock jock pumpkin. You mentioned being able to just pop out the third member on the F9? That's not how it works, you will have to tear the whole axle apart to get that out because the driveshafts are inserted into the locker and holding it in place. The front will be a bit easier due to the fact that you can remove the knuckles to slide the axle shafts out but the rear will need the tubes removed. This is the same process for both style curries. The difference is you can at least pop the diff cover on the rock jocks to inspect or grease.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Here is a win/win. Tell him trash sent you, he'll get a kick out of that.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I forgot Erik just put those up for sale. There you go slapjack, all your problems solved and you get the diff you want. Just order up tubes and your set.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Sweet. Those are the rock jock 70 centers? Are the diff covers modified too or don't those need to be modified?
Also, what else do I need for the entire setup? Do I buy the part number for the truss (with links) and the tubes (with links)? And that gets me the entire thing as if I bought the whole axle setup from vanquish? Sorry. Just want to make sure I get everything and wanted to see how much more it costs to buy piece by piece like that
Old 05-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Pm Dlux and he'll set you straight with any and everything you want to know. Look around his site and you'll notice his prices are lower than most places too so all the extra stuff you need won't hurt so much.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Is it both the front and rear that I need or is it only one that has a problem with the bearing blowing out?
And why is it the front axles are $30 more than the rear?

Last edited by slapjack; 05-01-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I run big bearing housings front and rear in 2 of my rigs. Both ends will have failures.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I'm also debating the color or curries to get. Silvers are hard to find but black is pretty available. How the black ones look after they get scratched up? Does the silver under the black coating show through and make it look terrible? Or don't they usually scrape through the black coating? Any body got a pic of some black curries on their rig? Post em up so I can see how they look.

Last edited by slapjack; 05-03-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

you whole underneath of the black turns silver once you break the axle in

Rc4wd vs vanquish - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super Vanquish and RC4WD Upgrade!!! FlightInstrukta Axial XR10 8 07-18-2011 12:47 PM