Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: VP Scale / Incision / Regular CHUBS/KNUCKLES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default VP Scale / Incision / Regular CHUBS/KNUCKLES

Looking at what to get for the curries as far as internals.
1. which should I run? Incision chubs and knuckles or the "scale" versions?
I am going to be running the vvd's in the front if that matters.

2. I can just run the stock axle shafts in the rear?

3. as far as lockers and gears... what is the top 2 lockers? VP and what else. I was thinking about the GripFab ARB Locker? Is that a good part?

4. with the lockers do I still need to buy the crown and pinion gear? Where should I be getting those from?
slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: VP Scale / Incision / Regular CHUBS/KNUCKLES

You've started 6 threads that I see on the first page. You'd be amazed what a little research would accomplish with your questions. And I mean that in the nicest way.

In other words, spend some time using the search feature. Might speed things up for ya.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you want to run knuckle weights then get scale chubs and regular knuckles. If you aren't going to run knuckle weights then get scale chubs and knuckles. Yes stock rear shafts are fine. Locked up or blue monkey makes no slop lockers. Crown and pinion gears for locker? Not sure what you mean.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
If you want to run knuckle weights then get scale chubs and regular knuckles. If you aren't going to run knuckle weights then get scale chubs and knuckles. Yes stock rear shafts are fine. Locked up or blue monkey makes no slop lockers. Crown and pinion gears for locker? Not sure what you mean.
Thanks, I didn't mean crown/pinion. I was thinking the bevel gear set. Would these axial HD gears be just fine? And running something like the Puller pro 3500kv would the
36/14 or 38/13 suffice?

Axial Racing Heavy Duty "Overdrive" Bevel Gear Set (36/14) [AXI30401] | Parts - AMain Performance Hobbies

Last edited by slapjack; 05-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Overdrive gears have the worst mesh so I wouldn't get those. Either HD standard or HD underdrive gears. The underdrive gears have the best mesh, easier on parts and helps with torque twist. The puller pro 3500kv is a great choice.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Knuckle weights don't work with scale knuckles, they work with regular vp knuckles.

Bang for the buck hands down is regular vp knuckles, vp clamping scale knuckles, holmes cromo lockers with hd stock ratio front and under drive rear. Source it all drop dluxfab.com and you'll save a pile of cash.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Knuckle weights don't work with scale knuckles, they work with regular vp knuckles.

Bang for the buck hands down is regular vp knuckles, vp clamping scale knuckles, holmes cromo lockers with hd stock ratio front and under drive rear. Source it all drop dluxfab.com and you'll save a pile of cash.
But I can use the scale chubs? In your post did you mean to say use regular VP CHUBS and CLAMPING KNUCKLES? I looked on dluxfab.com and didn't see any clamping knuckles or regular chubs. I saw modified knuckles for bigger bearings and scale chubs. Looks like that's all he has. With scale chubs and regular VP knuckles could I still run weights down the road if I wanted to?
Also with the underdrive gears in the rear, how does that work if the front is turning faster than the rear? I can see that working good in crawling situation but what about just cruising around, bashing or whatever? Will it be ok with that setup?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
But I can use the scale chubs? In your post did you mean to say use regular VP CHUBS and CLAMPING KNUCKLES? I looked on dluxfab.com and didn't see any clamping knuckles or regular chubs. I saw modified knuckles for bigger bearings and scale chubs. Looks like that's all he has. With scale chubs and regular VP knuckles could I still run weights down the road if I wanted to?
Also with the underdrive gears in the rear, how does that work if the front is turning faster than the rear? I can see that working good in crawling situation but what about just cruising around, bashing or whatever? Will it be ok with that setup?

Yes I meant clamping c hubs not knuckles. I'm dumb so I screw up sometimes.

Yes clamping scale knuckles work with standard knuckles.

Yes you can run weights on the knuckles later if you wish.

There isn't a huge gap between stock and under drive gears so while it helps crawling it doesn't hurt the bashability of the rig. I run HD/UD in my basher and bouncer.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks... What about locker vs spool. What is the difference? Bevel gear still mounts to the top of the spool like the locker right? But what's the difference between the 2?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Locker and spool are interchangeable terns in this situation.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

What do you mean? They are different parts it looks like to me. I'm talking about the vanquish spool. They have a thing where u get a free spool when u buy an axle. It is a single piece part and looks different than the vanquish locker. Are they the same just the spool is made from a single piece of steel compared to a 2 piece design of the locker?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Lockers and spools do one thing. They lock the axles together and do not allow the rear tires to turn at different rates as an open differential would.

VP has a locker with set screws to hold the shafts thats in an aluminum housing and they have a locker that's one piece of steel that the axles slide into that locks them together.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Lockers and spools do one thing. They lock the axles together and do not allow the rear tires to turn at different rates as an open differential would.

VP has a locker with set screws to hold the shafts thats in an aluminum housing and they have a locker that's one piece of steel that the axles slide into that locks them together.
Yea so the one piece one would be the no slop locker basically right? That's what I'm asking, is the 2 piece better because it gives some play? Like will the no slip ones be harder on the drivetrain,etc... Any advantages to using the 2 piece over the one piece?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yea so the one piece one would be the no slop locker basically right? That's what I'm asking, is the 2 piece better because it gives some play? Like will the no slip ones be harder on the drivetrain,etc... Any advantages to using the 2 piece over the one piece?

Basically yes. All slip fit lockers function the same whether it looks like a spool or an arb locker.

I have a vp 2 piece locker in my basher. It's fine but the screws ce loose over time even loctited in place so I've gone to holmes 1 piece lockers.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

you want a one piece spool over a diff case with a locker in it
less slop is better
go with locked up rc fi spool
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Is the incision spool no good? Like I said they are including one with the purchase of a both axle.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

There is zero reason to go with one brand of 1 piece locker over another when they're all made of the same material. Especially when someone will throw one in for free.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #18
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
I looked on dluxfab.com and didn't see any clamping knuckles or regular chubs. I saw modified knuckles for bigger bearings and scale chubs. Looks like that's all he has.
There is a lot on my site and it can be hard to find at times. There is a search option at the top though and that makes things easier.

In this situation, searching VP, Vanquish, Chubs, Knuckles, scale all pull up the items youre looking for.

Here are all the version of chubs and knuckles you could possibly want at the best prices you will find.

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
There is a lot on my site and it can be hard to find at times. There is a search option at the top though and that makes things easier.

In this situation, searching VP, Vanquish, Chubs, Knuckles, scale all pull up the items youre looking for.

Here are all the version of chubs and knuckles you could possibly want at the best prices you will find.

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab

Dlux Fab
Thanks, it says to ask if you are looking for other colors. Do you happen to have the scale clamping chubs and the standard knuckles (modified for larger bearing) in black? If I go with that setup I can run weights right? Do you happen to make weights too?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Knuckle weights and big bearing knuckles... sounds like a set of brass knuckles are right up your alley.

VP Scale / Incision / Regular CHUBS/KNUCKLES - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vp scale chubs/knuckles or stage 1 kit? db450 Axial Wraith 4 06-02-2014 04:25 PM