Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Wraith - FPV Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Default New Wraith - FPV Setup

Howdy!

Thanks for all the help from the awesome people here I now have my first crawler... sorta.

After much research I settled on the Wraith for a ground FPV platform. I'm glad I did as it was really pretty easy to get set up.

I do still need some advise. I sprung for the incredible Holmes Hobbies 3500 Puller Pro Sensored motor with their ESC. That combo really is amazing. However, it still goes faster than I would like with the stock gearing. Any ideas on how to slow it down a bit?

For the Wraith, everything is stock. I used components from Servo City to help get the camera setup. I built up the forward area with hobby plywood for the electronics and both sides of the motor/transmission with hobby plywood as well. I tried a couple ways to fit everything in and this was the best. I will be adding a hood at some time and won't have to worry about taking it on and off for the battery. The back battery tray fit my video Lipo and the transmitter perfectly so wanted to leave it alone.

Thanks for looking! I know the wires are still a bit of a mess...

photo IMG_0971_zpsq8abri6w.jpg

photo IMG_0972_zps7d5injkf.jpg

photo IMG_0974_zps1gpptx2s.jpg

photo IMG_0976_zps93uwbjpy.jpg

photo IMG_0977_zpstgftw7rp.jpg

photo IMG_0979_zps3xphxiks.jpg

photo IMG_0980_zpsvvya7tsh.jpg

photo IMG_0981_zpsyrntagfn.jpg

photo IMG_0985_zpsupfli1ya.jpg

And this used to be the room of my oldest daughter who has now moved out for college... so I haven't re-painted it yet! Nothing like a man cave with pink walls and green bed sheets...
cwhfsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Wraith - FPV Setup

The best thing about that antenna is, you hardly notice it.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #3

Yea, I'll get to painting that at some point. Best I could come up with the get it higher off the ground!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

So... let my wife drive the car in FPV and when she was around the side of the house our son turned on the water and since nothing is waterproofed I yelled for her to get out of there quick... and she backed up full speed into the fence.

I will say this thing is a monster! It was a pretty good hit but only one thing broke, which was the plastic end link on the bottom 4 link? I'm not familiar with these cars yet so don't know if I'm using the right term. Basically the hard bar with two plastic ends, one goes to the axle and the other to the bottom of the center plate.

Of course I don't have any spares but I think it is usable for slow runs as it really just twisted out. I'll have to look into some spares.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #5

Did some more work. Painted the body and that white pole. Looking to buy a new transmitter antenna to see if I can get rid of that pole since it really will not work out well in a rollover.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:06 PM   #6

I'm hoping someone is reading this thread who can help me. I'm not sure what I did to mount the front servo wrong, but it seems to be out of alignment. Basically, if you look at the 1st and 2nd picture in my last post you may be able to see that the front lower bumper arm basically rests on the servo arm. This really limits travel of the front differential.

I can't figure out how to move the servo back yet with the supplied hardware. Am I missing something?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhfsr View Post
I'm hoping someone is reading this thread who can help me. I'm not sure what I did to mount the front servo wrong, but it seems to be out of alignment. Basically, if you look at the 1st and 2nd picture in my last post you may be able to see that the front lower bumper arm basically rests on the servo arm. This really limits travel of the front differential.

I can't figure out how to move the servo back yet with the supplied hardware. Am I missing something?
This is a common problem. You can get a thinner servo horn, extend the bumper or move the servo back. Duuuuuuuude might still have some Dewangers or you might be able to flip your servo posts around. I think there are some spacers on one of the parts tree you can use to extend the front bumper a bit.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Spacers from the parts tree should be the fix...nice ideas btw very creative.
Trembley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Thanks. I was able to locate a bunch of different sized spaces and plugged them in. Did the trick!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhfsr View Post
I do still need some advise. I sprung for the incredible Holmes Hobbies 3500 Puller Pro Sensored motor with their ESC. That combo really is amazing. However, it still goes faster than I would like with the stock gearing. Any ideas on how to slow it down a bit?
The 3500 Puller Pro is a screamer. To slow it down some, run a 2s LiPo, get a smaller pinion and/or larger spur and you can get underdrive gears for the diffs. You can also tune down the ESC through a CastleLink adapter.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote

New Wraith - FPV Setup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My FPV Wraith RMNixon Axial Wraith 20 01-17-2016 08:30 AM
My new wraith with FPV rknaub Axial Wraith 3 03-15-2014 02:25 AM