Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: The weak link?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Default The weak link?

I have been building and running RC's for many years. Back when a Gold chassis RC 10 started. However this is my first Wraith 'style' build. I am on the waitlist for a UCFAB PRT. Just cause the look good. I have built the Vanquish F9 Currie Axels and Vanquish 105 2.2 Wheels. Throw in Voodoo U4's and CI Foams. That part is complete. Now my question is where do you build in the weakest link? The part that you prefer to break because it is both cheaper and easier to repair? Just thinking out the rest of my build
dbedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The weak link?

Just build everything bomb proof. That's what I do and nothing really breaks certain parts wear out over time such as cvds and I'm always replacing bearings.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The craptastic plastic Susp./Steering links need be steel or aluminum.
Specifically the lower susp. links and steering links.
The servo needs be strong enough and have an alloy clamping servo horn.
And the internal plastic transmission gears should be upgraded to steel.

Upgrading those pieces is a good idea from the start.
And will hold up acceptably to the abuses of most users.

After that...
it really depends on how much power is run thru.
and if you drive it like you stole it.
will determine if you need upgrade to stronger parts.

If yer a WFO person or heavy fingered...
then you will need spend the money
and make it all bombproof.

I say don't fix it 'til it's broke or you'll need spend another fortune
all at once... rather then a little bit at a time.

The upgrades never really end btw
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbedit View Post
I have been building and running RC's for many years. Back when a Gold chassis RC 10 started. However this is my first Wraith 'style' build. I am on the waitlist for a UCFAB PRT. Just cause the look good. I have built the Vanquish F9 Currie Axels and Vanquish 105 2.2 Wheels. Throw in Voodoo U4's and CI Foams. That part is complete. Now my question is where do you build in the weakest link? The part that you prefer to break because it is both cheaper and easier to repair? Just thinking out the rest of my build
My setup is causing broken hex pins occasionally and I stripped one plastic spur gear. I'm running a HH Puller Pro 3500 standard on 3s, AX2 tranny with upgraded output shaft, MIP drivelines, HD diffs, VP VVD up front, stock axle in the rear and VP clamping hexes. I don't regularly beat the snot out of it but I don't shy away from the trigger either I couldn't be happier than to be replacing hex pins at 50 cents apiece.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run all the toughest parts except for a nylon spur. I don't like gear noise and steel spurs are noisy. Not that a spur is an easy fix on the trail but, if the mesh is set right, they last. My trucks run Tekin Pro4 HD, MMP ESC and 2.2 Rock beasts.
Just my weak link.

CG3
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default The weak link?

I run Robinson steel spur, bombproof trans, mmp, Pro4 3300 and 3000hd, my weak link is $20 Tmaxx driveshafts that are fairly strong but quick and easy to replace on the trail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSYCHO-JLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
My setup is causing broken hex pins occasionally and I stripped one plastic spur gear. I'm running a HH Puller Pro 3500 standard on 3s, AX2 tranny with upgraded output shaft, MIP drivelines, HD diffs, VP VVD up front, stock axle in the rear and VP clamping hexes. I don't regularly beat the snot out of it but I don't shy away from the trigger either I couldn't be happier than to be replacing hex pins at 50 cents apiece.
You could look at upgrading to the 8mm stub shafts that I offer. They have 2.5mm hex pins. Your hex pin/stub shaft breaking days would be over.
Attached Images

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Build it bomb proof and have fun. One huge key is maintenance. After every day of running my rigs I'll give them a once over and check all the key screws such as drivelines, c hubs, links etc. If your junk has loose hardware it's going to break.

Weak links have no place on any of my rigs. From 4 bolt motor plates on steel geared trannies (alloy cases on the bigger power rigs) to mip drivelines feeding HD gears and steel spools. My crawler has dlux heat treated cromo shafts with 8mm stubs and brass knuckles. Pure beef and even at 70* steering angle being powered by a brood axle buster on 4s I don't worry about breakage.

There was a time that I couldn't go out without some tools in my pocket at the minimum since something would always fail. Those days are over now that I learned to build them right. Now I toss my crawler in my truck with a few batteries and run it for an hour or more every day coming home from work.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
You could look at upgrading to the 8mm stub shafts that I offer. They have 2.5mm hex pins. Your hex pin/stub shaft breaking days would be over.
Thanks for the product plug Erik, but I'm saving up for a set of your MOA axles. I think my next project is going to be a comp crawler, heavy on Dlux parts
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
Thanks for the product plug Erik, but I'm saving up for a set of your MOA axles. I think my next project is going to be a comp crawler, heavy on Dlux parts
Man, thats the smartest thing I have ever read in this part of the forum. LOL.

Cant wait!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote

The weak link? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The first real weak link! Reaxion911 G-Made Sawback 17 01-21-2014 11:05 PM
Weak lower link bigjoe623 Redcat Crawlers 6 03-28-2012 06:30 PM
weak link NickGood Newbie General 12 02-01-2011 10:22 AM
Found a weak link Lizard XJ Nebraska 1 06-15-2008 05:58 PM
Going brushless, need a weak link teamtom Newbie General 5 10-18-2006 08:39 PM