Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 10-12lb wraith: Servo Specs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 10-12lb wraith: Servo Specs

I am getting closer to having all the parts for my wraithzilla. I just need to order my HH electronics and servo. I have a hitec 7954 in an ebuggy I may use but I was also looking at this (see link). The question I have is, this is a "tall" servo and is 8mm taller than a standard size. I don't have my chasis mounted up yet but just by looking at the servo mount and axles it looks like it won't matter if the bottom of the servo sticks out a little further in towards the center of the chasis. Is that true or will it interfere with something on the cage when I mount it? It is a Mattzilla frame, not stock.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-s...1231sg/p234359

Also looking at some other servos (1270, 1283) and also the HH HV500 but the savox servo specs are almost as good as the HH servo and up to $30 less in some cases.
slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 10-12lb wraith: Servo Specs

You can get any servo, you might have to make a custom mounting plate but that's not a big deal at all. Get the servo you want and then go from there.
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not sure how much you want to spend but I use this servo in my wraith... it's high voltage and titanium gears, also water resistant.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-s...1270tg/p187714

use this one in my SCX10 mudder truck little slow but 500oz of torque at 6.0volts not to bad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savox-SA-123...wAAOSwX~dWkF2v

Sent From My Galaxy S6 Edge+

Last edited by sharkattack99; 06-21-2016 at 09:38 AM.
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yea I was going to use one of those savox servos. It was just the one I originally posted was slightly taller than the std size servo. The lemgth and width is standard so it will mount up to the VP servo mount I have but I wasn't sure if there was something behind the servo where a slightly taller servo would cause interference. But sounds like it won't. The ones that are .12-.15 speed you can't really tell it is slower can you? My race buggies have ones that are like .07 but I did have one in an 8th scale buggy that was like .12 and it didn't really effect me. I figured for something like trail riding you would mainly need torque but speed wouldn't be a huge factor. Would that be accurate?
Old 06-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I put a Promodeler in my Wraithzilla and it's been working out great. It's mounted to a DCW DeWanger and I have zero clearance issues.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
Yea I was going to use one of those savox servos. It was just the one I originally posted was slightly taller than the std size servo. The lemgth and width is standard so it will mount up to the VP servo mount I have but I wasn't sure if there was something behind the servo where a slightly taller servo would cause interference. But sounds like it won't. The ones that are .12-.15 speed you can't really tell it is slower can you? My race buggies have ones that are like .07 but I did have one in an 8th scale buggy that was like .12 and it didn't really effect me. I figured for something like trail riding you would mainly need torque but speed wouldn't be a huge factor. Would that be accurate?

That's good to know you're going to be rocking the Vanquish mount. I currently have that one piece mount with the Savox 1230 mounted.

as you can see (even though you have different axles) you shouldn't have any clearance issues.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
That's good to know you're going to be rocking the Vanquish mount. I currently have that one piece mount with the Savox 1230 mounted.

as you can see (even though you have different axles) you shouldn't have any clearance issues.

So that is the one with 500oz/.16 sec right? How is the speed on that thing? It's a slower speed servo but like I said before, can you even tell? Or does it work good?
And there is no issues with the extra height? The 1230 is slightly taller than standard too right?

Last edited by slapjack; 06-21-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
So that is the one with 500oz/.16 sec right? How is the speed on that thing? It's a slower speed servo but like I said before, can you even tell? Or does it work good?
And there is no issues with the extra height? The 1230 is slightly taller than standard too right?

Yes it is the 500oz servo.
I think the speed is perfect for trail driving and crawling. Even at high speeds (for a wraith) I don't notice a difference. There hasn't been anytime where I've thought "man, I wish this was .07 faster on steering." A lot of people believe that you need to have a fast servo for trail rigs and crawlers but in truth you don't. You just have to drive smarter
I currently have two of these servos on my rig for 4WS and they've been going strong for over a year with no issue. I have put "liquid tape" across the seems to waterproof them as well with no heat issues. One thing I highly recommend though is to purchase a RX bypass from Holmes Hobbies and a Castle BEC 10amp set to 6v. That way you're getting constant voltage and not killing your receiver.
It is noisier than all other servos, but to me I like that.
The extra height is no problem at all. I too run the Vanquish single piece servo mount and they move the servo back about 5mm from the stock mount. Which if my memory serves me correctly, is right about what the stock position is anyways.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
Yes it is the 500oz servo.
I think the speed is perfect for trail driving and crawling. Even at high speeds (for a wraith) I don't notice a difference. There hasn't been anytime where I've thought "man, I wish this was .07 faster on steering." A lot of people believe that you need to have a fast servo for trail rigs and crawlers but in truth you don't. You just have to drive smarter
I currently have two of these servos on my rig for 4WS and they've been going strong for over a year with no issue. I have put "liquid tape" across the seems to waterproof them as well with no heat issues. One thing I highly recommend though is to purchase a RX bypass from Holmes Hobbies and a Castle BEC 10amp set to 6v. That way you're getting constant voltage and not killing your receiver.
It is noisier than all other servos, but to me I like that.
The extra height is no problem at all. I too run the Vanquish single piece servo mount and they move the servo back about 5mm from the stock mount. Which if my memory serves me correctly, is right about what the stock position is anyways.

Hope this helps.
Cool, thanks. I was already planning on that BEC and Bypass connector so I don't have to disconnect my power wire on the esc in case I want to program it later on. Is all you did to waterproof just seal the outer seams? Do you run it through creeks at all or just puddle splashes mostly what you are protecting it from? I was going to conformal coat or corrosion x the circuit board, add grease around the spline and put a thin layer or regular clear silicone around the outer seals to waterproof mine. But I want to be extra safe cause I like to run through creeks. I used the corrosion x on every part I could so far (bearings, mips, trans gears) but I am a little nervous counting on it to waterproof electronics. Lots of people do it I guess but I think Id rather just dunk the board in conformal coating.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I've run through creeks yes. But its a good idea to do the conformal coating as well.

10-12lb wraith: Servo Specs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recommended servo specs Newfie Redcat Crawlers 10 04-17-2013 08:57 PM
Servo specs? DA1378 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 12-15-2010 05:27 PM
hitec servo specs brokendiff Electronics 7 02-12-2009 09:24 AM
servo specs chevhockey Electronics 0 06-28-2008 01:09 PM
Servo Charts Want To Specs On A Servo tmaxxking1 Electronics 0 03-10-2007 11:35 AM