Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Spawn Rock Racer Kit - Build Completed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2018, 02:50 AM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Spawn Rock Racer Kit - Build Completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
I like this. Are you using the wheels from the kit for the Treps? How you like them?
Thanks bro...I needed a second opinion on the tray! Yeah, treps on the kit wheels. They’re actually decent, never let go a bead yet but want alloys when budget permits. Like the treps alot, grippy even on wet rock and they look awesome IMO.

Here’s a pic with Treps on kit wheels.

Put a cross bar in between the shock towers (original plastic steering linkage) and ground off some cage to remove chassis warp from fast back mod.

Last edited by Mendoza; 10-09-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Another great improvement is ground clearance. The Wraith has a huge skid that can tend to hang up on rocks. There are two ways to go. Do the "tummy tuck" mod (there is info on the procedure here in the forums). Or, go to shapeways and purchase one of the 3D printed high clearance skids. (This is what I did as I'm running BGR rock sliders which I really like, and would have to bin them or do some pretty heavy modifying to run them with the "tummy tuck". I was amazed at what that extra bit of clearance will do - while still allowing you to run droop.

If it were me, with that budget, I'd do:

1.) Either the tummy tuck which is basically FREE minus your labor. Or, go 3D printed skid - roughly $50 US
2.) Underdrive the rear - I couldn't believe how beneficial this was for turning and climbing prowess - roughly $30 US - I run 38/13 up front and 43/13 out back. Amazing bang for the buck!
3.) if you want to "bash" with the rig, I don't think I'd run knuckle weights. They great for dedicated crawling, but not so much for trailing and / or bashing. I run mine on my 1.9 truggy when it's a focused crawl, but take them off for general trailing and farting around. For some more FREE mods, you could try and focus on packaging as much as you can up in front of the rig. I run my ESC, BEC, etc all up front between the shock towers. Nowhere near knuckle weight territory, but it's free and every little bit helps. The other thing you could do is just run BEEF TUBES Beef Patties versus knuckle weights. Again, not as much heft as the knuckle weights, but combined with the other mods, they add just that bit more weight up front. - roughly $30 us.

BTW - the rig is looking sweet!
Bro thanks! I appreciate it coming from someone with your experience!
Tummy tuck - check! I’ve ordered a 3D skid which is on the way.
Weight - check! Moving stuff up front like you said and installing BeefTubes.
Handling - check! Trail arms on the way.

I’m more trail basher that likes crawling and agree - i don’t want to be super heavy up front. I want this to have the balance of a Bomber.

Thanks for checking in... Good to know I’m not alone.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Bro thanks! I appreciate it coming from someone with your experience!
Tummy tuck - check! I’ve ordered a 3D skid which is on the way.
Weight - check! Moving stuff up front like you said and installing BeefTubes.
Handling - check! Trail arms on the way.

I’m more trail basher that likes crawling and agree - i don’t want to be super heavy up front. I want this to have the balance of a Bomber.

Thanks for checking in... Good to know I’m not alone.
No problem - I've learned a lot from others here too! Don't forget UD/Underdrive rear. Seriously - it's a game changer, and at $30 bucks, relatively cheap.

I also have a metal cage based Wraith. I'm running a Yeti trailing arm set up on it. Trailing arm basically allows you to create a more "plush" set up over links due to shock positioning. I also like the extra bit of wheelbase the Yeti TAs provide me on that Rig. Running those 2 rigs back to back, I would not say the Trailing Arm set up is a complete game changer in the rocks though. Less bucking at speed and through chatter for sure. Honestly, more than any huge advantage, it just has a pretty cool look going for it. Depending on the Trailing arm set you chose - (I purchased SSD aluminum Yeti lowers and Ti uppers - Roughly $60 US plus misc hardware), you could probably do better with that cash. Just my .02 cents. If you're running an all metal gear trans at this point, my next upgrade would be a Slipper Eliminator kit. Put that power to the ground! Locked Up RC makes a good set up. Roughly $16 US.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Are you still running the stock foams? How many vent holes to you have exposed? I have mine set to 1 open hole stock foams, havent had a chance to run them yet. They are a little stiff but I think after a few runs they will soften up.

I hear you on the Alloy wheels. I picked up a set of SSDs last ebay coupon. I like the steel or aluminum since it adds weight down low
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:38 AM   #45
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
No problem - I've learned a lot from others here too! Don't forget UD/Underdrive rear. Seriously - it's a game changer, and at $30 bucks, relatively cheap.

I also have a metal cage based Wraith. I'm running a Yeti trailing arm set up on it. Trailing arm basically allows you to create a more "plush" set up over links due to shock positioning. I also like the extra bit of wheelbase the Yeti TAs provide me on that Rig. Running those 2 rigs back to back, I would not say the Trailing Arm set up is a complete game changer in the rocks though. Less bucking at speed and through chatter for sure. Honestly, more than any huge advantage, it just has a pretty cool look going for it. Depending on the Trailing arm set you chose - (I purchased SSD aluminum Yeti lowers and Ti uppers - Roughly $60 US plus misc hardware), you could probably do better with that cash. Just my .02 cents. If you're running an all metal gear trans at this point, my next upgrade would be a Slipper Eliminator kit. Put that power to the ground! Locked Up RC makes a good set up. Roughly $16 US.
I just checked out your metal caged wraith... very cool and unique rig

I’m now a lock with JEC TAs. I’m keen on the look and idea of a fast Wraith that handles at speed and still crawls like a beast ... Always nice to have plenty of speed available when you want it. Only reason I’ve not looked at the UD rear is because I invested in HD OD gears front and back when I originally built the kit as well as a full metal tranny except for Spur... I like the sound of the Slipper eliminator, might give that a shot once I get everything else bolted up.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:49 AM   #46
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Are you still running the stock foams? How many vent holes to you have exposed? I have mine set to 1 open hole stock foams, havent had a chance to run them yet. They are a little stiff but I think after a few runs they will soften up.

I hear you on the Alloy wheels. I picked up a set of SSDs last ebay coupon. I like the steel or aluminum since it adds weight down low
Man the SSDs are NICE ... was going to get a set of Chanquish but thought I should hold off and get the real thing like SSDs or Vanquish when I can. I’ve got all holes open on the trep set up. And also found the stock foam breaks in after a while and softens up - real squishy but probably too much because I was frequently rolling over when side hilling. I want to get CI dual stage but will hold out until I go alloys.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Ok so JEC TA’s and link ends are in transit. Received the bomber skid from RCAddict but I ordered the wrong one. He was really responsive and is sending me the right one for no extra shipping charge.

I’m also going to do some cage mods to the B-pillar to get rid of cage overhang at the back of the body.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Hey man, great build!

Im very keen to see what you end up doing in the rear. I also have chopped my cage and am looking at options. Keep it coming!

Im in Melbourne... always happy to see another local posting!
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Hey Bud!

Thanks, great to talk to a fellow Aussie. I’ve now received the TA’s, correct Bomber skid plate as well as the Traxxas rod ends. And because it Christmas and I got 15% off with Cyber Monday I’ve now officially blown the budget sky high and ordered:
- Vanquish Machete 2.2 wheels
- CI dual stage foams
- a fuel cell and couple of other goodies.

I’ve drawn up my rear cage mod plan and will be starting when the parts arrive. Can’t wait.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

Ok my Dudes... the stock has arrived! Perfect timing just before Christmas, so I can relax and build. Can’t wait to do skid plate, TA and cage mods. I should be looking good soon. Keen to hear comments on the finished rig. I think this is the last of my mods, I spent too much and I wanna just shut up and drive.

Quality of Vanquish can’t be beaten - there is nothing that compares. I considered other wheels but they were nowhere near this. Don’t want to use these wheels but I will!

Old 12-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Had to share a shot of my heavily modded Novarossi powered Savage next to my Wraith ... the Savage never gets use anymore - just a shelf queen in the garage these days (sigh)

Old 10-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Long time between posts... I’ve changed the look to what I always wanted which is a pick-up/truggy by cutting and modding the cage. This will open up my future body options. Made a carbon fibre battery plate, rear plate and wall behind the seats. Increased frame rigidity after cutting off the fast back and tidied up and covered the motor from the rear view.

Love my SSD wheels too (returned and swapped the vanquish machetes at amain) - freakin awesome with a nice deep dish, running CI foams and growlers. Really happy how it turned out.

Still going to do the trailing arms mod but will enjoy as is for a while.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...txVUhtREl3TnJR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...txVUhtREl3TnJR

Last edited by Mendoza; 10-09-2019 at 04:53 AM.

Spawn Rock Racer Kit - Build Completed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up tc1 Axial Wraith 34 01-20-2018 01:47 AM
Wraith Spawn Kit Build Front Diff Clicks when stopping hard 4x4Jay 2.2 Scale Rigs 7 05-17-2016 11:10 PM
RichMTB01's Wraith Spawn KIT Build RichMTB01 Axial Wraith 0 05-13-2015 08:35 AM
[Video] Joe's SCX10 Kit Build Completed joerc2013 Axial SCX-10 8 03-04-2015 10:42 AM
rock racer kit vito Newbie General 4 12-29-2011 03:20 AM