Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Supershafty Bomb Proof Trans Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Supershafty Bomb Proof Trans Question

I installed a SS Bomb Proof Trans (6mm outs) along with a ROC412 3100 yesterday and the thing runs LOUD now. I know all that metal will be louder than stock, but I wondered if anyone who has this setup could chime in. Trans is used, motor and pinion are new. Other drivetrain specs:

VP OCPs
VP VVDs
HD O/U Gears
MIPs

I'm fine just getting used to it if that's all it takes, but I just wanted to make sure it's not on the verge of explosion!
864runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Supershafty Bomb Proof Trans Question

Did you build it or buy it? If you built it what did you lube it with? If you bought it, did you check that it is lubed?
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Mine is definitely louder than a stock trans. Suprised me at first. Built by me with VP case, Axial gears, SS 6mm outputs, Fast Eddy bearings and Phil Wood grease that I had on hand at the time. Its loud but not crunchy. Spins buttery smooth. Going on 2 years without failure...
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Loud is normal.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

All 4 of my SS transmissions make noise but 90% of it comes from the steel spur. I don't even notice it anymore and I'd say it's worth it for never having to worry about the trans again. I'm running one of them on 4s brushless now and it's handling it no problem. The thing that scared me the first time I bought one was the pixy dust it left all over as the pinion and spur broke in.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the input, guys! I think what I'm getting is normal. It's pretty loud at low speeds, but seems to be quieter if I open up the throttle and let it run. I had a feeling it might be that steel spur. When I checked, it was lubed, but I'm gonna open it back up and lube it up some more.

Next question is how hot should a motor get? This is the first brushless setup I've run, and after running it around on 2S for 20 minutes or so, the motor was hot to the touch, but not nearly so hot I couldn't keep my finger on it.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

All normal. If you can touch it briefly, that's about right. I don't know many folks that grease the pinion/spur.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

A $20 IR temp gun from Harbor Freight is a great tool to have. You might be surprised how too hot to touch is still well under 160 degrees, I was. Don't lube the spur, it'll just make an incredible mess but do make sure the gearbox is greased well.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I actually bought a Duratrax Flashpoint, just didn't get it out to check the actual temp. I'll get more familiar with it the more I drive it. I figured lubing the spur would be pretty messy. I was just going to open the gearbox up and grease it all up really well. Thanks again guys!
Old 06-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If noise is your main concern, you can use gear lapping compound and run the tranny for a few minutes with a power drill. Then clean it clean it clean it, and use a moly grease or axle grease from your local autoparts. You won't be able to get rid of the metal reverberations, but you can reduce the noise considerably.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Supershafty Bomb Proof Trans Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
supershafty axial BOMB PROOF tansmission write up... nosyajg Kyosho Crawlers 3 07-19-2012 08:21 AM