RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Axial Universal Axels lateral slop issue (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/566945-axial-universal-axels-lateral-slop-issue.html)

Fintobean 07-02-2016 10:21 PM

Axial Universal Axels lateral slop issue

I have just installed new VP aluminum chubs and knuckles on my Wraith, and after installing my Axial Universal Axle set I noticed about 1/8 to 3/16 lateral slop. Has anyone had this problem and if so how the heck do I fix it???
Do I need some kind of shim?
Thanks for your help

DeviledEggs 07-03-2016 11:16 AM

Re: Axial Universal Axels lateral slop issue

I hope this is a stupid question but do you have both bearings in the knuckles? My experience with that setup was fine with both Axial unis and VVDs... Have any pics?

oldsalero13 07-03-2016 12:00 PM

I also had slop running the universals and vp chubs and knuckles. I think most of the slop was just the universals being worn out. I replaced them with vp vvds and now there is zero slop. I'm sure you could shim it and it will get rid of the slop.

Fintobean 07-03-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeviledEggs (Post 5528727)
I hope this is a stupid question but do you have both bearings in the knuckles? My experience with that setup was fine with both Axial unis and VVDs... Have any pics?

Not a stupid question at all. I took it apart and put it back together 2 or 3 times to double check my work and all looks good. I sent an email to vanquish to see if there was any kind of fit issues with the Axial Universal Shafts and of course Holiday weekend I haven't heard back yet! LOL

Fintobean 07-03-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsalero13 (Post 5528734)
I also had slop running the universals and vp chubs and knuckles. I think most of the slop was just the universals being worn out. I replaced them with vp vvds and now there is zero slop. I'm sure you could shim it and it will get rid of the slop.

Ok thanks for that info, just not sure what kind of shims to use?

R6MAXX 07-03-2016 07:37 PM

i used these - TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Fiber Washers 5x8mm (20)

oldsalero13 07-03-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintobean (Post 5528888)
Ok thanks for that info, just not sure what kind of shims to use?

Your welcome. As for the shims you may have to get a few different sizes to find the right ones.

Fintobean 07-04-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsalero13 (Post 5528952)
Your welcome. As for the shims you may have to get a few different sizes to find the right ones.

Thanks! Appreciate all your help!

Estol H 07-07-2016 06:47 PM

Go to dmg's facebook page, he has a post on size shim u need. Best I remember he lists the size and where to find them or sent him a pm.

Fintobean 07-08-2016 06:23 AM

Thanks Estol H, couldn't find DMG's Facebook page, but I decided to go with the VP VVD and everything fits like a glove! Problem Solved!!

Thanks everyone for the help

Thechewmaster 07-12-2016 04:26 PM

I had this issue very same issue, the problem got so bad that I had the short side pulling out of the locker, giving me 3wd.

I am using SSD D-60 knuckles with STRC c hubs along with Axial uninverals.

I rebuilt the front axle yesterday, and I shimmed the universals inside the knuckle to eliminate the slop, 4 shims on the short side and three on the long side. Now there is zero slop and there will be no issues with the locker/tangs pulling out. Tested yesterday and the Wrexo goes great, and has all time 4wd now :)

Oh, FYI i used the shims posted above, just got them from RPP.