Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: A modest spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A modest spawn

Hello all,

Wanted to start a thread on my Spawn Wraith. I actually bought it, as a kit, built it and didnt run it for a while.

Started with the kit spawn from tower hobbies, if you don't know about tower they have always been the cheapest (that ive found for new off the shelf rigs) They have coupon codes that anyone can aquire and most of the time you save atleast $30 off a new rig @ $300. That being said,

brand new never used 120amp sensored brushless esc, had it laying around I believe it was $24 ebay
as well as a sensored brushless motor I had, if I remember it was only $17 shipped 2700kv ebay
power hd 20kg (277oz torque at 7.4) $27 value hobby
alum servo horn $3 (yes) value hobby
robinson racing 1 piece lower trans gear $25 LHS
robinson racing steel idler gear $13 LHS
Vanquish gear grease (had it already and been waiting to try it out)

That was the start of the build along with the new spawn. Now ive done the all out, throw expensive parts at it before and yes in turn they are very capable rigs, and dont break as often. They still do and thats kinda the whole reason for the things I will do to this one. Modest wraith, keep it clean, without putting tons of money in it.

Heres it done and built.

You might find theres quite a bit of bench shots or random place shots, I have a 3 year old and a newborn now so theres no dedicated spot in the house for me lol.

Living in Missouri, I look forward to the recon g6 in the spring/ early summer. This was built for it and not ran, not even in the house until then. Which was a bad idea.

The start of the g6 through the first couple gates, it got hot and shut down. Nothing, no power, no nothing. I found that the cheap batteries I bought on ebay shorted out, frying the rx which in turn fried the esc. Ended up replacing the brushless with a brushed setup I bought from a vendor on site and away it went.

Once I got home I ordered a new esc. Wired it all up and it was back to being brushless again. I run 3s and thats it, have quite and I like wheel speed. Never had an issue with run times either. About an 1 1/2, 2 hours depending on the situation.

So through one g6 and 2 trail runs on the weekend, everything else is working properly and still on stock gears, c hubs and knuckles.

Couple after shots of the g6, put a light bar on it for the night run, from a deadbolt my brother in law had.

Got a really good deal on some raceline beadlocks off here, I believe they were $60shipped

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A modest spawn

Ended up having a few breaks along the way, but nothing the extra parts that come with the rig couldn't fix, sometimes it was just a screw came loose or bushing popped out. Bushings that popped loose I replaced and used a washer to keep from happening again.

This happened lol Shock bushing came through the cap and twisted it all up. Twisted it back and put a washer on it and all is good.

I just had a new born baby boy, last week. While the 3year old and I were at home, and momma was taking care of the baby, I figured I had some time to get on changing the look of the wraith. I get bored quickly with looks so it might even change again while this is still a thread lol.

Chop Chop

New quad cab dodge body going on!

Throw some paint at it, not bad!

Took it out with the son and his newish ax10 and had a blast, trying not to scratch the new body or break it!

Im working on gathering parts for the interior, gonna have the driver sit in the front seat, not the rear lol. Also I have noticed the trans is getting loose, tried loctite on the 4 screws but they are still working their way loose. Will end up with an aluminum housing. The battery is also already mounted up front, but I want a plate so I can have a servo winch, where the slot is for the steering servo would go. Looking to also mount the steering servo on the axle with a dlux truss.

Would love to see your guys builds, hear your opinions, questions. Have at it!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Went on a little crawl yesterday with my son, right down the road to a home-made course. Its nothing crazy but def worth it to see a smile on the boys face!

Having issues with rubbing, actually the rear tire lifted up the body and pulled the screw I use to mount the body right thru...

I just seen they are coming out with 1.9 xl pitbull rock beasts, so being they are 3/4 inch smaller than a 2.2 trep, its an easy choice that those will be the new rubber for the truck.

Heres some shots

Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Running it around the backyard with the son, ended up having issues. Not really anything thats fault of the truck but most likely from me tightening down the screws to much.

Trans will not hold screws anymore. Through the skid they fall back out. So I ordered a metal trans case. Should hold very well. Looked and looked and the only options I found were hot racing, topcad, gcm, supershafty. So I opted for the gcm, since supershafty is not in the funds, yet. Never have liked the hot racing brand much at all, but thats just a personal preference. And just a big no on topcad.

Out with the old, in with the blueeeee

Still no update on the interior, but soooooon. Need to find the time between bids and constant work.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
Hello all,

Wanted to start a thread on my Spawn Wraith. I actually bought it, as a kit, built it and didnt run it for a while.

Started with the kit spawn from tower hobbies, if you don't know about tower they have always been the cheapest (that ive found for new off the shelf rigs) They have coupon codes that anyone can aquire and most of the time you save atleast $30 off a new rig @ $300. That being said,

brand new never used 120amp sensored brushless esc, had it laying around I believe it was $24 ebay
as well as a sensored brushless motor I had, if I remember it was only $17 shipped 2700kv ebay
power hd 20kg (277oz torque at 7.4) $27 value hobby
alum servo horn $3 (yes) value hobby
robinson racing 1 piece lower trans gear $25 LHS
robinson racing steel idler gear $13 LHS
Vanquish gear grease (had it already and been waiting to try it out)

That was the start of the build along with the new spawn. Now ive done the all out, throw expensive parts at it before and yes in turn they are very capable rigs, and dont break as often. They still do and thats kinda the whole reason for the things I will do to this one. Modest wraith, keep it clean, without putting tons of money in it.

Heres it done and built.

You might find theres quite a bit of bench shots or random place shots, I have a 3 year old and a newborn now so theres no dedicated spot in the house for me lol.

Living in Missouri, I look forward to the recon g6 in the spring/ early summer. This was built for it and not ran, not even in the house until then. Which was a bad idea.

The start of the g6 through the first couple gates, it got hot and shut down. Nothing, no power, no nothing. I found that the cheap batteries I bought on ebay shorted out, frying the rx which in turn fried the esc. Ended up replacing the brushless with a brushed setup I bought from a vendor on site and away it went.

Once I got home I ordered a new esc. Wired it all up and it was back to being brushless again. I run 3s and thats it, have quite and I like wheel speed. Never had an issue with run times either. About an 1 1/2, 2 hours depending on the situation.

So through one g6 and 2 trail runs on the weekend, everything else is working properly and still on stock gears, c hubs and knuckles.

Couple after shots of the g6, put a light bar on it for the night run, from a deadbolt my brother in law had.

Got a really good deal on some raceline beadlocks off here, I believe they were $60shipped

As soon as I saw the picture with the fender flares I knew they would be gone in later pictures. I just built this myself and also wanted to keep the flares but they rub with the slightest turn and started to rip off the body so they had to go immediately. Nice color, a little darker green and it would resemble money mmmm
rcmattster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah they werent working for me, way to much rub. I will be going to 1.9s klrs soon so they probably wouldnt have rubbed very much. Buuuut that body just sits on the shelf now, being that the dodge body is now on it.

Did have to post pone some things on it, the esc I had shot crap :( but on a good note I have been itching to go back to a mmp with roc412. I miss 4s...baha. So that will be coming soon.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Today I got in the mmp and roc412. Love this combo, probably would never buy another fairly expensive setup other than this.

Roc412 3100kv should be plenty enough wheel speed and more parts shall break....:( actually I have been wanting to do a few more things.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Was in the area of my local hobby shop, so I stopped in a n looked around. They had some 1.9 mt baja claws on the shelf and they usually never do so I picked them up. They are 4.75 tall and thats the size ive been wanting. Still waiting for pitbull to release the 1.9 xl rockbeasts. So I mounted them up on the 2.2 racelines, and I have to say I kinda like them.

Also installed the mmp and roc412 stock pinion, Ill have to get a hardened one from rpp, Ive been down that road before. 3/4 thru a trail the pinion gear was smooth lol.

Im still working on ideas for the interior I believe 2 spawn interiors will work with trimming but ill have to cut the driver and steering wheel out of the one already installed. I really want to use the actual seats from a wraith but I dont think I have the clearance. Im gonna try but were off to trail for the day!

Old 08-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well since my whole sunday was rained out, well besides a few dry times. I decided to take advantage of it and get some more done on the wraith. After taking it out with my son at the parents house.

Cut out some more to fit the interior, grinded down the rough edges and will hit it later with a fine grit. Since I cut out most of the rear support to the rails, I needed something to stiffen up the front windshield frame.

Using the center bar that connects at the lower part of windsheild and adding rod ends to it! Not to shabby. Its not the prettiest but the truck isnt ment to be pretty its gonna get used and abused. If you use your "imagination" it almost looks like a roll cage inside the truck with the body on.

Didnt want to mess with the rear since, who really cares lol. Threw some nite shade paint on it for cars and presto, tinted rear windows! Thats all for now, ordering some ss links and possibly the cms for it if I can find a vp cms.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Had a blast on a crawl the past Sunday. Inspired me to order some new parts and change up the wraith a bit.

Dlux front u4 truss
beef tips
beef patties
ss link kit
diff covers ( 1 of them is especially cool, wait for pics)

Pics of those installed soon to come. going to do a tummy tuck as well while im installing parts

Truck did very well, needs the tummy tuck, some hi clearance links and other things to keep the front down. Enjou some crawling pics.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Slowly but surely

Got some of the parts in. First off is this (imo) cool looking rear diff guard. Idk how strong it is, ill just have to find out but I did try bending it with my hands and didnt do a thing so thats good lol

Threw together the incision links, awesome quality, great job vanquish.

Slapped the beef patties on, you can barely see them. They do look like a scale rotor if they were a little bigger. But hey 2.0oz of more weight in the front is always good.

More parts should be here tomorrow. Im going to start on the tummy tuck as well. See how much I can raise that skid up and gain some clearance.

More to come....

Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

dlux truss came in today! Looks sweet! Putting it together, and dropping it on the axle. right off the bat, I wanted to do some trimming so the top screw at the chub would reach to the beef tube inside.

Had to custom make a drag link until I order the links made for this setup. lol should have done it when I ordered this. Oh well.

Here it is

Still need to figure out what to do with that servo wire and try to hide it. Kinda ugly sticking out like that now.

Been rained out all day so I will be starting and hopefully finishing the tummy tuck tonight. Only thing thay worries me is breaking frame rails, and if I do ill just order the ones from emoryworx.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Last post for the night. Got the tummy tuck done. Turned out way easier than I thought. Gained about 5/8 of skid clearance with this and that should make a world of difference!

Pretty simple if you take your time. Line up the holes and do a little grinding.

Dont mind the crooked body, I have a shock missing a spring cup.

Gonna take it out this weekend and see how it does. Make adjustments, etc. Supershafty spools, front diff cover, and beef tips coming soon.

A modest spawn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet one more spawn jmercier Axial Wraith 1 02-19-2015 12:44 AM
Spawn! FortCrawler Axial Wraith 39 02-04-2015 03:35 PM
Modest 2 Door monstertruck 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 09-13-2011 11:03 AM
A modest proposal MrNatural420 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 7 03-01-2007 08:15 PM