Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Big Bore shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Default Traxxas Big Bore shocks

Hi guys!
I'm thinking of getting a set of Traxxas Big Bore shocks for the Wraith. What do you guys think?
I don't know how much the rigs weighs, but it is stock, so you can have an idea.
I'm building the Wraith for crawling.
Anyway, tell me what you guys think!
Thanks!
NunoTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas Big Bore shocks

Traxxas big bores are the best bang for the buck shock available. I run several sets of them on my trucks and honestly, I haven't been able to find another shock as smooth as big bores. Axial 14x70mm springs fit the Traxxas 2662 shocks perfectly with no preload. For a stock weight rig I'd suggest purple front springs with black rear or orange front with purple rear. This is if you have your battery moved to the front. Any other questions about these shocks, fire away. I'm their biggest fan around here and I can help get you dialed in.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I am a big fan as well, have them on all my rigs.
I have never had one leak....
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #4

Ok. Looks like they are a great choice!
I have some questions, but first I need to know: where can I get them and what's the right Traxxas part number (is it 2662)?
Also, do I need to get the pack with the 8 shocks or can I get just 4?
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Buy them in pairs from eBay. You can get them for less than $18 shipped and they even come with good oil. Traxxas 2662 is the correct part number for the 4 inch long (~100mm) shocks. You don't want Traxxas' springs but rather Axial springs like I mentioned above for more appropriate tuning options.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

Could you post a link for them? The cheapest I can find is 25$ a pair...
My second question is a two part question:
-Should I do the "cap mod" (like many of tje crawler guys do) and should I use the Losi mini T springs or the Axial's good enought?
Thanks again!!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If you do the cap mod, the shocks will end up way too long. The cap mod guys do that to 2661 or 2660 big bores. If you went that route you'd lose a lot of stroke. Cap mod is completely unnecessary for the Wraith. It's a comp crawler thing for rigs with extreme articulation that need a ball end on both ends of the shock. Stick with Axial springs in the weight and lengths I listed above and you'll be very happy. Here's what you should get, 2 black springs, 2 purple springs, and 2 orange springs. Whichever ones you decide to use, install the next softer set in the rear, front is heavier due to battery placement, and if it's too soft simply move the front shocks to the rear and install the next stiffest in the front. IIRC the spring weight color code for Axial 14x70mm springs goes like this starting at the softest: black, purple, orange, red, white, green, yellow, blue. Double check the numbered weights when you order to be sure.

As far as a link for the 2662 big bores, you just have to look around on eBay. I find them all the time for less than $20 shipped. Just type in Traxxas 2662 then filter lowest price+shipping. That's how I find them.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

I have been lookin at them shocks to I think I goin to buy a set this weekend
just a sami guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #9

Love my big bores. 2 wraiths with them, axial 70mm springs fit like a glove. I will be buying a 3rd set for my bomber!!!!
Estol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
If you do the cap mod, the shocks will end up way too long. The cap mod guys do that to 2661 or 2660 big bores. If you went that route you'd lose a lot of stroke. Cap mod is completely unnecessary for the Wraith. It's a comp crawler thing for rigs with extreme articulation that need a ball end on both ends of the shock. Stick with Axial springs in the weight and lengths I listed above and you'll be very happy. Here's what you should get, 2 black springs, 2 purple springs, and 2 orange springs. Whichever ones you decide to use, install the next softer set in the rear, front is heavier due to battery placement, and if it's too soft simply move the front shocks to the rear and install the next stiffest in the front. IIRC the spring weight color code for Axial 14x70mm springs goes like this starting at the softest: black, purple, orange, red, white, green, yellow, blue. Double check the numbered weights when you order to be sure.

As far as a link for the 2662 big bores, you just have to look around on eBay. I find them all the time for less than $20 shipped. Just type in Traxxas 2662 then filter lowest price+shipping. That's how I find them.
Which springs can I use on 2660 3.5 bigbores? they need to be 14x55mm.
Estol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I have 2 sets of big bores and agree they are by far the smoothest shocks I've seen and used. I'm running Losi springs and RPM Pistons in mine. Dlux makes shock ends for the caps for easy mounting to any shock hoops or mount.
BoilerUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

You guys convinced me to buy a set for my Wraith as well Been doing some updates lately and sick of the leaky, plastic capped Icons that came with the Spawn kit.
WT's Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

There great shocks for the money. With some spring and oil tuning there second to none personally speaking. I like 40 to 55wt oil along with rpm two stage pistons, and various team associated springs. Hope this helps you on your decision.

Last edited by mud bogger; 07-21-2016 at 02:33 PM.
mud bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Man, I'm really glad to see more people appreciating big bores. I thought they were pretty much overlooked for whatever reason but I'm glad I was wrong. They really are the best bang for the buck period. Hard ano'd, all aluminum, Teflon coated, TiNi shafts, and smoother than any shock costing more than twice as much. Can't beat 'em.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #15

I have a pair of big bores on one of my wraiths, I bought and installed the gold colored Losi springs for them. Makes it very smooth, lowers the belly a bit. I also have the 120mm RC4WD King shocks installed on my other wraith, but I had to install gearhead's droop kit to lower the stance a bit. Both the Big Bores and the RC4WD Kings have leaked on my once. I like the performance of the Big Bores and the looks of the King shocks.

Big Bore very good.
Dennis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #16

I really like the GMade piggyback shocks. Mine work great, no leaks, smooth action and totally adjustable rebound with the turn of a screw in the piggy back portion. Highly recommend these guys. And I never had to change the springs, even with all the weight I added with aftermarket parts.

Last edited by rcmattster1971; 07-21-2016 at 04:52 PM.
rcmattster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

OK so if I get traxxas big bores I need to change bottom and top shock ends so I can fit different springs ? Someone mentioned dlux ? Are they on eBay?
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

You don't need to change either end of this shock to fit springs that are roughly 13-14mm in diameter. Even Axial 12.5mm diameter springs fit snugly over the shock body and you can run the lower spring seat from an SCX10 shock. Easiest way to tune with springs is to use the ones I mentioned above. Use Axial 14x70mm springs for 2661 and 2662 big bores and use Axial 14x54mm springs for the 2660 big bores. Here's a pic of their length comparison just for visual reference. The 2660 is 3.5 inches long, the 2661 is 3.75, and the 2662 is right at 4 inches long. These measurements are eye to eye fully extended.

Crazee Horse, DLux was mentioned for his very nice machined upper shock balls. You can also use ProLine's universal shock mounting hardware kit which includes 4 upper shock balls or fuel tubing if you're going for a budget solution. DLux's machined balls are superior and designed specifically for these shocks. I love them. DLux is a vendor here and offers many fantastic crawler components.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 07-25-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Screamer, could you post a picture of all 3 shocks again but with the bottom of the shock bodys even? The shafts all look pretty close in length. Thanks for the picture.

Also, have you tried the mip bypass valves in the BB before? After seeing them in dlux berg thread, he seems to really like them and with good success.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Anybody tried this version of the Traxxas GTR XXL big bores?

It's part# 7462X, from what I can tell they are the same internally, but with a threaded body for better height adjustment and ball mounts at both ends.

FEATURES :

- Hard anodized PTFE aluminum bodies
- TiN coated shafts

INCLUDES :

- Two XX-Long Traxxas GTR Shocks
- Bottle of Silicone Shock Oil

REQUIREMENTS :

- Springs of modeler's choice

SPECIFICATIONS :

- Length: 3.9" (100.5mm) from upper and lower mounting hole centers

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDEGA

Last edited by valheru; 07-25-2016 at 08:18 PM.
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas Big Bore shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas big bore shocks???? riz Axial SCX-10 4 12-29-2009 08:12 PM