Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Newbie - (HobbyWing) Setup for Spawn Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Default Newbie - Setup for Spawn Kit

Cheers,

My first post, new to the RC Car hobby, therefore a short intro: I'm Raphael from Switzerland (feedback in German, French or Italien is also welcome), 37 or so, 3 kids, usually like the third dimension and fly RC Helis (3D, 700 Class, 12S to 14S) since years.

Now my boys and me got interested in this crawling stuff. I made a bit research (great infos from Harley), ordered a Wraith Spawn Kit with a few upgrades from Vanquish (Stage 1 Kit, Links).

I'm still not sure with the electronics for OK crawling a a litte bit "bashing" (but not too fast). My plan (32p -> 56/14 or 12). I do NOT plan to use it in wet conditions...

ESC Hobbywing Xerun XR10 PRO: XeRun XR10 PRO 160A_Car System_HOBBYWING | Welcome to Brushless System Trends -

Motor Hobbywing Xerun Bandit 13.5 (3000KV): XeRun Bandit G2_Car System_HOBBYWING | Welcome to Brushless System Trends -

What do you think? What I have seen, the Hobbywing products are not very common for the Wraith; is there a reason for that? Some friends of mine drive SCT Cars (Tekno) an swear on Hobbywing (over Tekin).

Thank in advance,
Raphael

Last edited by l0wrider; 08-19-2016 at 03:02 AM. Reason: From Hobbywing to Holmes Setup ;-)
l0wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Newbie - (HobbyWing) Setup for Spawn Kit

The motor and ESC that you have posted links to are not suitable for what you have said that you want to use the Wraith for (crawling and a bit of bashing but not too fast). You'll want a decent brushed system if you want to crawl well, otherwise you'll want a 4 pole SENSORED brushless system to be able to go fast and still crawl OK without cogging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

To me that combo looks like a great choice for what he wants to do. I'm a Castle and Holmes Hobbies fan so I'm not real sure about Hobbywing electronics but I've heard plenty good about them. That motor is sensored and 3000kv so should be a great crawler and a bit of wheelspeed too. I couldn't find whether it was 2 or 4 pole so that will make a difference in torque and startup smoothness. Looks like you're on the right track Lowrider. Oh, welcome!
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

Default Re: Newbie - Setup for Spawn Kit

Ups, got it - 2 poles - dizzy in my head... Thanks. Today a friend told me the HW Bandit is an on-road race motor.

A lot of people use the MMP (at least in the states). To be honest, I'm a bit prejudiced with Castle: in the RC Heli scene they have (lets say it this way) not the best reputation. Anyway, does not seem to be the case for car ESCs. Still, the new HW XR10 Pro seems to be a Masterpiece: 160 A output stage (I now...), 10A High-V BEC... And since a have direct access to HW stuff that all for an affordable price (for me same as a MMP). I had one (XR 10 PRO) in my hand, everything else (inkl. Tekin ESCs) look... not so nice, its really well made.

To make it short (solid combo for OK crawling and OK rock racing) - is this the way to go?

* Castle MMP / HW XR 10 Pro with Tekin ROC 412 3100KV *

...any (recent) suggestions are welcome, and sorry for the newbie question(s).

BTW: I ordered the Axial steel gears, but was looking also for steal spur gear. Is this okay (I think it is not the time for SuperShafty, maybe later)?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinso...rp1558/p366504

Thanks,
Raphael

Last edited by l0wrider; 08-11-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

A Roc 412 is a great motor choice. I'd also suggest looking at Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro motors. Pound for pound they are stronger motors than any other comparable sized motor. Robinson products are also top shelf, not sure if that spur is compatible or not but Axial makes steel spurs in 56, 58, 60, 64, and 68 teeth. 60t spur is the largest that will fit under the plastic cover if I remember correctly.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The Spawn comes 32p so the plastic spur gear shouldn't die instantly, but that one you linked won't work without some mods.
The Spawn comes with the dual pad slipper so one of the Yeti/RR10 option spurs will work
https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-r...03446?v=363540

Both the esc & motor are sensored so shouldn't be completely terrible. I just put one of the XeRun SCT Pro in my RR10 & thus far can't fault it on 3s on a 3000kv Pro4HD, smooth, powerful, good brakes.
XeRun SCT PRO_Car System_HOBBYWING | Welcome to Brushless System Trends -
I don't know how that compares price wise to the one your looking at....Edit, yes I do cos I just looked it up, SCT Pro is 1/2 the price of the XR10.
XR10http://www.asiatees.com/display?Misc...d=119459&pid=1
SCT Prohttp://www.asiatees.com/display?Misc...d=105378&pid=1

Like wise I've seen their XeRun 3656 motors well reviewed before also, being 4 pole should be nice & smooth starting, only 540 length will fit in the Spawn without modding the skid
XeRun 3656_Car System_HOBBYWING | Welcome to Brushless System Trends -
Again I don't know price on that compared to the Bandit G2

But you can have a whole SCT Pro /3400kv combo for less than the XR10 esc alone.
http://www.asiatees.com/display?Misc...d=100998&pid=1

Last edited by altd896; 08-12-2016 at 12:27 AM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

@altd896 and @SCREAMER and @byrnieman : Thanks a lot for this useful information!

I found one Shop in Switzerland that is specialized in crawling and rock racing as well as in scaling. I had a short and very pleasant email conversation with the owner. Conclusion: A HOLMES combo.

- Motor: Puller Pro 540 Standard with 3500KV (or maybe 2700KV)
- ESC: Trailmaster BLE Pro

He wrote me also, that for pure crawling there is almost no better setup then a Brushless Holmes combo.

I learned two things: I found (maybe the only and very trustworthy) shop in Switzerland selling Holmes product and I should just trust the information given in this forum .

Thanks guys!

Raphael
Old 08-19-2016, 03:12 AM   #8

...got my stuff two days ago:

- Holmes Puller Pro Stubby 3300 KV
- Holmes Trailmaster BLE Pro

Played a bit with the "silent" BLE funkction - nice! Combo looks relay promising. My Wraith haven't seen any dirt... and I already want to change some stuff:

Now I have to add the the Axial full metal gear set, Vanquish Stage 1 kit as well as Titanium Links a got yesterday... and I would like to add some Vanquish Wheels (Vanquish 1.2" Wide Method Wheels?). Addicting.

Anyways, should I do the "move battery to front mod"? I read different things about this mod...

Cheers,
Raphael
Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

10wrider,
If it were one of my rigs, battery forward is one of the 1st things I do as far as "free" mods go. All 6 of my rigs run batt forward. Love having that weight up front on steep climbs, IMO. Good luck!
Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, if you'll be doing any significant amount of crawling and climbing, battery forward is a must. Congrats on the power plant. You're creating a nice list of future mods but can I suggest Vanquish Incision stainless links instead of Ti? They are cheaper and add good weight down low for more stability. They're also much stronger than the Ti set and slide over rocks just as well as Titanium.

Newbie - (HobbyWing) Setup for Spawn Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Hobbywing 1060 setup? Desmo Electronics 0 06-23-2016 03:06 PM
My (Newbie) Wraith Spawn First Impressions jtschmitz Axial Wraith 4 02-18-2015 11:07 AM
hobbywing brushless setup with a 32t and a HH 35t motor Bcampisi Electronics 3 03-19-2010 01:29 PM