Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: ax2 twin speed... or HH puller pro?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default ax2 twin speed... or HH puller pro?

Crawling is not really for me. I can see the appeal of competition crawling, but there are no competitions in the UK I know of. An amount of technical trail driving is fun, but purely trying to get over a few rocks gets old after about 5 minutes. Lets jump off something!

So, I have a Turnigy waterproof 4 pole 3250kv motor, sensorless. It's a great motor for the price. On stock 56/12 gearing it is too slow, and still struggles at 'technical trail' stuff. My VTH has twin speed which is great, and this motor was the boss in that (for my needs). So, I've no doubt an AX2 twin speed tranny would sort my problem out, but...

Should I spend the money on a non budget motor and esc instead? Will something likr a HH puller pro 3500kv cover the width I'm looking for?
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ax2 twin speed... or HH puller pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Crawling is not really for me. I can see the appeal of competition crawling, but there are no competitions in the UK I know of. An amount of technical trail driving is fun, but purely trying to get over a few rocks gets old after about 5 minutes. Lets jump off something!

So, I have a Turnigy waterproof 4 pole 3250kv motor, sensorless. It's a great motor for the price. On stock 56/12 gearing it is too slow, and still struggles at 'technical trail' stuff. My VTH has twin speed which is great, and this motor was the boss in that (for my needs). So, I've no doubt an AX2 twin speed tranny would sort my problem out, but...

Should I spend the money on a non budget motor and esc instead? Will something likr a HH puller pro 3500kv cover the width I'm looking for?
I run both the Puller Pro 3500 and an AX2 in my Wraith and it has a huge range of speed, too much in fact. If I had to choose one or the other I'd keep the Puller Pro and just use the stock tranny, with steel gears of course.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have roc 412 3100kv its perfect for me plenty of low slow crawling control and enough top end to get my 14lbs wraith going way to fast no 2 speed trans need
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

DBX, are you running 2s or 3s? A $40 3s battery might solve your problem. With stock gearing, a 3250kv on 3s should move pretty good.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
DBX, are you running 2s or 3s? A $40 3s battery might solve your problem. With stock gearing, a 3250kv on 3s should move pretty good.
That might very well be what I'm missing - I'm on 2s.
My esc is 2s limited - so that still points toward a motor/esc upgrade.
I like the ready waterproof nature of the Holmes kit. Waterproof is a necessity - when not in muddy puddles, I run on the beach a lot, and so my gear gets hosed down all the time.

So... motor... esc... battery. This is expensive isn't it?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
RCC Addict

My wraith is a crawler...I run the AX2 specifically for the low first gear.

My Bomber is a pretty much dedicated U4 rock race rig. I run the Vanguard 3150 system with a Wraith trans because i didnt need the 2 speeds or the extra weight of the stock bomber trans.

Stay with your existing trans, and spend the money on a high quality brushless system.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What esc are you using? My axial ae2 is only rated for 2s as well but I added an bec and can run 3s without issue. Same with my vangard system. A motor and bec is cheaper than a motor and esc AND (potentially) a bec. Just my .02
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

But a BEC is 20 bucks, no reason not to have one.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I want to know what awful brushless ESC is limited to 2s.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I want to know what awful brushless ESC is limited to 2s.
The turnigy 80a waterproof - really good value for money, but only until someone points out you really need 3s it seems. She'll do just fine back in the hammers - if i ever feel flush enough to stump for something more premium.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If you're unhappy with its performance it's not that great of a value. Time to upgrade and have fun. Don't try to buy a two speed trans for over $100 to band aid fix the issue. I think you answered your own question in your first post. "spend the money on a non budget motor and esc instead" You'll be glad you did.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicstag View Post
I have roc 412 3100kv its perfect for me plenty of low slow crawling control and enough top end to get my 14lbs wraith going way to fast no 2 speed trans need
Same setup here,with a MMP esc and a BEC,no need for 2 speed

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
If you're unhappy with its performance it's not that great of a value. Time to upgrade and have fun. Don't try to buy a two speed trans for over $100 to band aid fix the issue. I think you answered your own question in your first post. "spend the money on a non budget motor and esc instead" You'll be glad you did.
Just checked the spec of my turnigy trackstar on the box - looks lie it IS 3s compatible after all. Only says 2s on their website.
Battery ordered, should arrive tomorrow, watch this space.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm running mmp, roc412 and the ax2 on 3s. It retarded fast in 2nd gear. Tons of wheel speed to get up hills others can't. It's a wicked set up
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Got to tell you, I agree with these guys... My roc412 3100 with OrionR10 pro on 3S is a heck of a lot of fun.. Great down low and up top. Loving it
Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #16
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

So... In conclusion, the sensorless just wasn't cutting it. On 3s it was pretty harsh. I bought an HH BLE / Puller Pro, 2700kv.
I'm still on the stock gearing (56/12), on 3s, and so it's lacking a bit of wheelspeed from what I want. I wanted the 3500kv, but it was out of stock.

The motor is sweet. The low speed control is really impressive when dialed in with the castle link. I'm actually starting to enjoy Low speed crawling more and more. There's lovely smooth control thoughout. I'll go to a 14 of 15 tooth pinion to get the wheel speed back up. I've no doubt at all that it will pull this cleanly, and there is always the 4s option for a rainy day.

ax2 twin speed... or HH puller pro? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Selection Help Needed - HH Puller Pro 540 vs HH Puller Pro 540XL WesTX Electronics 18 09-14-2016 09:16 PM
AX2 2 Speed Transmission Sevastra Axial Wraith 17 06-10-2014 03:40 PM