Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My Wraith and it's Mods to date...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

I started out by giving the factory panels a trim, and fresh paint job.

Then I did the hatchback mod, and used the factory uprights, heating them until I got the desired shape, then sleeved them with some plastic tubing. I've ordered some NOS bottles, and I'm going to mount them to the sleeves to make them look like that's their purpose (to hold the bottles).

Then I made a bed cover form .025 Aluminum, and also a tail plate. The tail plate will get two D-ring shackles mounted to it when they arrive with the NOS bottles. I think though, that instead of two separate panels I'm going to take these off, and create one panel, that covers the bed and fold over to make the tail plate. I think not only will it look much more pleasing but will be a lot stronger as well, having 8 connection points, instead of 4 individual.

Here's a quick video of the panels:

https://youtu.be/EJRuIBkjbko

And a video of the Battery Forward, and Hood mod:

https://youtu.be/NtHaGv9P_HI

Just placed an order for the wraith.

Beadlocks & TSL SX (G8 Compound) 2.2's
G-Made PiggyBack's 103mm
And Some Scale Accessories (Hooks and shackles)

Next up on the list, will be Tekin Motor & ESC swap. Gotta save back up though. lol

Last edited by Polaris425; 08-29-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Polaris425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My Wraith and it's Mods to date...

The empty wallet begins.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Polaris425-
I run the Tekin brushed motor/esc combo in 2 of my wraiths, love em both, each are 35t -one is just standard built, other is the pro, hand hound, excellent choices either way! Make sure youve got access to the Tekin Hotwire for crutial fine tuning. Good luck and get used to your wallet being empty! Lol!
Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Rock that's exactly what I picked out. The 35T Pro & FXR it comes with. I think it's called the FXR isn't it?

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone6
Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thats correct- FXR combo. The RSX is the step up in esc's from Tekin, normally for mod racing, but recently received the official recon G6 certification from the crawling world. Anyhow, you'll enjoy the FXR, should be a plenty capable and durable esc along with the motor combo!
Let it be known- Tekin's products are NOT waterproof, so user beware or assume the appropriate risks (i.e.- your own waterproofing-plastic dip spray, conformal coating, etc.), but dont let it discourage you, still top notch equip!-IMO.
And be sure to read up on any info that may pertain to what your doing/how your using your rig/equip. Gear appropriately for driving style and terrain and you'll be absolutely fine!
Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Got my GMade piggybacks built and installed last night, had a few issued with getting them on, the reservoir is so large, you can't really mount them anyway you want, in any position. I was able to get the front ones all the way back (towards the middle of the wraith) in the #3 hole but had to turn the reservoirs up, because they would hit my battery tray.

On the rear, I couldn't put the top in the inner most hole because the reservoir hit the cross brace regardless of which direction you put it. So I had to put it in the middle hole. Now the wraith sits a little "nose down" but really, that will probably help on hill climbs, keeping the nose down. Who knows. They function well though.

I also finished getting my 2.2 TSL SX's mounted on proline beadlocks, but had to go back to the store for hubs and screws. They didn't have the correct axial screws so I had to get traxxas screws and they were about an 1/16" too long. So I had to grind them down flush with the back of the hub otherwise, they wouldn't turn. Had front end in a bind.

Anyway, I got it all done so, that's good. Should be able to test everything today at lunch.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

You may not like to hear this, but you should consider ditching the red bump stops on the bottom of each shock. They take away valuable suspension travel and don't really do much. I have run these shocks on a twin hammers for years without the red bump stops without a problem. I beat the hell out of that rig as well, so these shocks can handle the abuse; even without the bump stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeanTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Put a little go juice on the blue goose. Not sure How I like them there though. I may move them down to the cover plate. I still need to plumb them up though.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Put in several hours of work today.

The factory motor was pretty much done. Don't have the $doe$ for the Tekin I want so I popped in an axial 27T for now. For $17 bucks hopefully it will get me thru a few weeks.

Put my pup Shiloh over in the passenger seat. All they had was chocolate labs so I had to krylon her black since she's, well, a black lab after all. Lol

Made a tow cable w/ the hooks I bought a few weeks ago. Also made some hood pin safety cables.

I removed all of the factory lights. Wasn't using them anyway. Which allowed me to trim the bar they were mounted to. Which in turn now allows the servo to tuck all the way up into the frame and give me a lot more articulation up front.

Lastly I moved the NOS bottles down to the bed cover. Still need to get some tube to plumb them up.

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone6
Old 09-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

No pictures, but I swapped out the stock 20t/80t pinion and spur for a 15t/87t. Much better gear ratio now, puts me close to 6.0, 5.8 to be exact.

My Wraith and it's Mods to date... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First wraith mods!! larsotra Axial Wraith 27 02-02-2015 09:40 PM
Wraith Mods TXJeeper1 Axial Wraith 30 09-08-2013 02:29 AM
My Wraith mods Stburr91 Axial Wraith 8 10-10-2011 05:22 PM