Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Currie F9 axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Currie F9 axles

Wanted to hear from guys running the F9's to see how yall like em. I was thinking of getting a set but my only hold up is getting hung up on rocks, but maybe the diamond design helps with that problem. Just wanted to hear what you guys thought before I spend $300. Thanx!
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Currie F9 axles

Yeah the lower lip on the bottom of the differential under the 3rd member likes to catch stuff, but over time it kinda rounds out. I had them on my wraith but took them off in favor of plastic housings...its a crawler so they were cool, but the plastic slides a whole lot better.

They went on my go fast bomber where getting caught isnt as big of an issue.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Maybe I'll just buy one axle for the front and try that. To bad they don't offer them in grey.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Be aware some are having issues with stripped lockers in the front. Apparently, the overall housing width is ~2-3mm wider thus pulling the axle shafts farther out of the locker and causing less than enough shaft engagement in the locker which leads to them stripping out. Some axle shafts and lockers help the issue because they are designed to give more contact and some make the issue worse. VP has not chimed in yet to address the issue. Check out the F9 thread in the General Crawlers section.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You can try the SSD axles, similar style, diamond axles. They offer a nifty Delrin skid for the diff that protects the 3rd member, and they use fewer bolts. Available in grey or black, a little less money too. Sold at RPP and other shops. Centered rear available or use the front offset with their other truss for the rear if you prefer. Run by a lot of folks.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

IMHO, SSD is a much better "Diamond" axle option. I've ran them and their quality is top shelf. The one piece housings are very nice.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 09-26-2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I guess I'll try SSD out. The rear axle is a great deal at $110 and includes axle shafts that's awesome! I gotta decide on black or grey.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Be aware some are having issues with stripped lockers in the front. Apparently, the overall housing width is ~2-3mm wider thus pulling the axle shafts farther out of the locker and causing less than enough shaft engagement in the locker which leads to them stripping out. Some axle shafts and lockers help the issue because they are designed to give more contact and some make the issue worse. VP has not chimed in yet to address the issue. Check out the F9 thread in the General Crawlers section.

Thanks for that SCREAMER. Unfortunately both my F9 assemblies showed up yesterday. Sure wish I would have researched it more!

Hopefully I can find the correct shaft & locker?
rtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

To maximize engagement in the front you'll need to run VP VVDs because they have longer shaft tangs. I run these in 3 trucks and they are very strong and rebuildable. As for locker, I'd go with the VP Incision spool or Holmes spool. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

On a side note: I'd assemble the front and rear pumpkins and tubes and then measure the width. If they are too wide, and knowing this will cause issue, I'd call VP and return them or ask them to send you the right length tubes. Hold them accountable for your hard earned money!

Last edited by SCREAMER; 09-29-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:

On a side note: I'd assemble the front and rear pumpkins and tubes and then measure the width. If they are too wide, and knowing this will cause issue, I'd call VP and return them or ask them to send you the right length tubes. Hold them accountable for your hard earned money!

SCREAMER, where've you been all my life, lol?

I have NOT been getting much asked for help....not here but it looks like this is the right place.

Couldn't a person tube up the pumpkin & get an overall length right away to keep from having to assemble for nothing?
rtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
I thought we were getting somewhere with Harley in the other thread, but he never responded.

The truss also goes end to end, perfectly to the splines. They would have to redo one of the tubes and the truss, I'm guessing that won't happen.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Maslin's right. I'd just return them and go with SSDs. They're cheaper and have a Delrin skid available to keep them from acting like a boat anchor on rocks.

rtmike, PM me anytime, I'm always glad to help.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I've had my issues with a set of f9's. I worked the kinks out myself, it was rather frustrating, and time consuming; but in the end I do enjoy the axles. Will say though, I highly dislike the c-clip style retainer for the outer bearings, as I've tried multiple different c-clip retaining tool removers and none seem to fit proper enough. Might be because I had to shave down the axle tubes about a mm to keep them from binding down on the hexes though :/
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, that's a lot of bs to go through for that kind of money. I love VP stuff but they have a few products that miss the mark and have me scratching my head, why. Their customer service is about the same, sometimes awesome, sometimes hard to even contact anyone after several tries.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I am honestly still on the fence about getting metal axles. I already have beef tubes and stuff like that so idk lol. On the other hand it would be nice to get rid of that rear truss back there. When I break those center drive shafts in the ssd diamond axle I'll have to order online vs going to my LHS and getting a set the same day.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

It is a bit more convenient to have a LHS to run to for parts when you need them today. My issue was spending $20 every time I bent a short side axle shaft and had to go buy the set to get one axle shaft. With a centered diff you get twice as many replacements because they are all the same length. I just make it a point to order and keep spares on hand now and when I swap in a replacement, I make an order the same day. It just takes a little better planning but it's nice to have one length rear shafts. SSD does have some very nice HD replacement shafts that eliminate the through pin with a keyed titanium hex. That through pin hole is a major weak spot so it was a good move for SSD to get rid of it with the new design.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 10-04-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I measured my front axle again. The width with chubs installed is spot on to the plastic housing. The difference in width is with the bare housing, the bearings press in to the ends and I believe are holding the axles further out.

By press in I mean press in with your body weight on a sturdy table. You have to completely remove the axle and drop out to get them out with a punch and hammer. Tight tolerances are a good thing, but it seems a bit extreme.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

Currie F9 axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP Currie axles slapjack Axial Wraith 5 04-24-2016 11:26 PM
Currie axles rccrawler75 Axial SCX-10 0 03-12-2015 05:35 PM
VP Currie axles or GCM Metalhead axles for scx10 Swamp Dowg Axial SCX-10 8 03-31-2013 11:03 AM