Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Member - Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #81
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New Member - Wraith Build

Your build is all kinds of pretty. Hahahaha
Seriously though, that thing looks absolutely amazing. Well done.

If I may offer a word of caution... keep an eye on those drive shafts. Particularly the C-clips holding in the U-joint pins.
I had a set of driveshafts (with the same C-clip design) fall apart on me at AxialFest. The C-clips down by where the driveshaft meets the axle housing tend to take a beating on rocks and whatnot. Causing them to fall off, causing your U-joint pins to fall out, allowing the entire bottom half of your rear driveshaft to fall out somewhere between vendor village and your campsite and you not notice until your already back at camp!!!

Just saying... Watch those C-Clips... and again, AMAZING build. Hahahaha
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #82
Rock Stacker

Holy thread revival Batman!

After sitting in the closet for a couple of years, I finally got back to this Wraith build.

After I did the tummy tuck, I then found a way to mount the VP Wraith transmission on the RR10 Bomber skid plate. This allowed for mounting the trailing arms more parallel. After making these changes, nothing on this truck wanted to fit. That was the reason I put it away in frustration a couple of years back.

Well, I bit the bullet and did the work to get it to where it currently is. The switch to the Bomber skid plate meant everything got shifted, including the motor and transmission moved center and forward. This is actually good for weight distribution, and the driveshafts are much straighter now. I had to shorten the spur shaft for battery clearance. All the links and drives shaft lengths were now different, so I had to make those changes. All the electronics are pretty cleanly packed up front. The battery sits well behind the RX8 in a little holder I made. The interior didn't want to fit, but I stuffed it in and it is OK for now. I want to get it a little lower still.

I swapped the Proline shocks for these gold King units. I thought their smaller diameter bodies and reservoirs looked more scale.

The VP brakes calipers and rotors were a serious pain to get to fit on these axles. They were designed for the earlier version VP Wraith axles, so I needed to cut and thread holes in the rear, and bend and fab up front. I love how they look though!

I made some cutouts in the inner fender plastics and covered it with some fine metal mesh and tiny hardware to secure it. This is just an aesthetics thing I wanted to try. It was very tedious work, but I like how it turned out.

It is now fully functional, lights and all. I need to correct the stance as the front end is high. I also want to add a functional winch. Still a bunch of little things to sort but at least it's in one piece and functional.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyAutvi9GQcyvMXAA
Lavigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Damn, that's really nicely done!

Excellent photography skills, too...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote

New Member - Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Member and my Wraith TreePRO86 Axial Wraith 8 05-06-2015 08:59 PM
New Member, New 1/24 trekker build. BlueTegu Micro Scale Rigs 0 03-21-2014 06:39 AM
New member - First build chugdugdadug Tamiya TLT Crawlers 36 01-10-2013 08:46 PM
New member "tomvaillencourt" seeks input on wraith build tomvaillencourt Axial Wraith 10 10-10-2012 07:32 AM
new member - new txt build gumby240 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 16 09-05-2005 07:26 PM