Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Member - Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New Member - Wraith Build

I finally decided on some OTTSIX Voodoo KLR tires.

I originally tried some Proline Hyrax tires, but they really did not want to fit the VP Rockstar beadlock wheels. The Rockstar rims are skinnier than my VP Method wheels. Has anyone else been able to make them work on the Rockstar rim?
Attached Images

Lavigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Lavigna's Wraith Build

Is the body a stock that is painted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
notajerryskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notajerryskid View Post
Is the body a stock that is painted?

It is the Axial body kit, and I painted it.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavigna View Post
It is the Axial body kit, and I painted it.
So you ordered the stock clear? What is the grill. It looks great btw.

notajerryskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notajerryskid View Post
So you ordered the stock clear? What is the grill. It looks great btw.

Yes. The grill is the stock decal, and the headlights are some Axial units out of a different axial part kit. I cannot remember which one. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #46

Really nice looking rig.

You take great pix as well
tekin112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #47

that truck is BLING AF! well done.

The only suggestion i might have is get some scale accessories going on and, maybe, a driver.

...ooh, and a fairlead for that winch cable.

Last edited by Necrotron; 05-23-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Necrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrotron View Post
that truck is BLING AF! well done.

The only suggestion i might have is get some scale accessories going on and, maybe, a driver.

...ooh, and a fairlead for that winch cable.
Agreed. I have been slowly gathering some scale items, and am still planning out how I want to add them. I have a Fairlead, but I haven't found a clean method of attaching it yet. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Wow great builds
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Beautifully looking rig. I particularly like the body colour and how clean it all is. You have done some pretty cool customisation, I admire that. It has been said already but let me say it again, you take very nice photos too.
I was trying to find out about a question you asked earlier in the build and that is running the high-power servos trough RX8. I wonder how you are getting on with it? I since abandoned the idea of going the Tekin route but I am still curious to find out. IS it working well for you?
Can I ask you, those CF panels, is it a real thing? I really like the look for finishing touches like the former battery place and just like you have done in the front as a plate for all the electronics. I though I would do mine in aluminium but I like what I have seen here much better. What have you used?
I am just about to start ordering the parts for mine and I am sure coming back here for more inspiration.
kohout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Wow, I agree with everyone here. Very clean looking build! Nice work!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #52

That's a great looking Wraith. Sorry if it was covered, but what paint is that?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohout View Post
Beautifully looking rig. I particularly like the body colour and how clean it all is. You have done some pretty cool customisation, I admire that. It has been said already but let me say it again, you take very nice photos too.
I was trying to find out about a question you asked earlier in the build and that is running the high-power servos trough RX8. I wonder how you are getting on with it? I since abandoned the idea of going the Tekin route but I am still curious to find out. IS it working well for you?
Can I ask you, those CF panels, is it a real thing? I really like the look for finishing touches like the former battery place and just like you have done in the front as a plate for all the electronics. I though I would do mine in aluminium but I like what I have seen here much better. What have you used?
I am just about to start ordering the parts for mine and I am sure coming back here for more inspiration.
Thanks so much. Much appreciated.

I really have not run this rig yet, aside from around the house. I am currently having issues with my chassis mounted steering servo. Since this rig sits low, the panhard kit hits on top of the VP axles almost immediately into the suspension stroke. I have spent a lot of time trying to find a solution for this, but so far have only managed to make it worse. Any suggestions to help with this, please let me know.

Regarding the Tekin, I would suggest running an external BEC still. I have not set one up yet, but if I were running the rig hard, I would want the BEC to take stress off the RX8. The Tekin esc/motor are a little notchy when applying a little throttle from a stop. It seems smoother in reverse. Has anyone had a similar experience. I was hoping for buttery smooth throttle when I spent the money on high end Tekin stuff. Maybe it is a setup issue on my end.

The CF bits I made are real carbon fiber. I have several sheets of cf, in varying thicknesses. It is relatively easy to make pieces you need. I use a dremel tool to cut, and then sand it smooth.

The paint is is Duratrax and Tamiya brand, silver, grey, and an auburn color. Nothing fancy. I am still working to add some details, winch, fairlead, etc. I just haven't figured out how I want to do it yet. Thanks again for the kind words.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Are you still running the roc2300 in 2s ?
If running smoother in reverse, setup issue or a 2300 really needs more volts, 3s or 4s. I run both Tekin and Holmes sensored and all are buttery smooth with slow starts. I only run 3s though, but seem to remember higher Kv with lower voltage , lower Kv and higher voltage

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Are you still running the roc2300 in 2s ?
If running smoother in reverse, setup issue or a 2300 really needs more volts, 3s or 4s. I run both Tekin and Holmes sensored and all are buttery smooth with slow starts. I only run 3s though, but seem to remember higher Kv with lower voltage , lower Kv and higher voltage

Hang up and Drive
Yes, still running the ROC2300 on 2S. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

** I hopefully fixed the photo links **

It has been awhile, but I wanted to update this thread.

I was never able to figure out a way to make the frame mounted servo work decently. This Wraith sits quite low, and no matter what I tried, it was unhappy with the frame mounted servo. The steering was crap, and/or the articulation was bound up. I finally decided to just move the servo back to the axle. This brings it's own problem, as the servo/horn typically hits the cross tube on the front of the chassis, when the front compresses. I decided to try mounting the VP one piece servo mount backwards, to move the servo further back. This places the servo in the perfect spot (down facing photo shows this).

I did a few things to try and hide the servo as best I can, and I am quite pleased with the outcome. I think it looks very clean. By moving the servo back down, I can now mount my winch.

I still have plans to alter the cage in the back, and windshield section. And, of course, scale details are still on the to do list.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lavigna; 01-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

It may not look like much, but I have put in a lot of work into the front of this Wraith over the last week. I created space to add a front electronics box. I really wanted to be able to hide all the wires. It looks pretty simple but it sure was a PITA to find a box that could be made to fit in the space, and had enough room for all the electronics and leads. This Wraith sits very low, so the box had to be far enough back to clear the top of the steering servo when the suspension compresses.

I also added a winch fair lead, although I may scrap it and move it up higher.

LEDs - I finally hooked up all 4 front lights. I took the time to shrink wrap all the leads black, and hide them as much as possible. Once everything was hooked up, I turned it on for the first time only to realize the lights are RED! My LHS gave me the wrong color. F me! It wouldn't normally be a big deal, but I wrapped, sealed, and hardwired everything, and it will all need to be torn out and re-done with the correct White LEDs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lavigna; 01-01-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Project 'Complete Re-do' has begun. I decided to do the Wraith Tummy Tuck mod. I will raise the upper shock mounts, so the body sits low. This will really allow the truck to have a low slung look.

I want to keep the interior, so I decided to use a SCX10 transmission for clearance reasons. I decided to just go full upgrade on the transmission, and sort of complete the upgrades I started before.

I kept a plastic spur gear to act as my weak point in the drive line. I also like how it is quieter than metal.

VP Transmission case
Metal gears
VP motor mount/guard
SuperShafty extended outdrives
VP Dual slipper
VP top shaft

I ended up putting a lot of time into getting the transmission to work right. The VP top shaft is longer than stock. I shortened the collar, and modified the shaft to move it as far into the transmission as it could go. This keeps the spur gear closer the the transmission body. I just didn't like the idea of it sticking so far out, and am trying to keep things as compact as possible to fit the tummy tuck.

I also have plans for new bodywork and shocks. That is still to come...
Attached Images

Last edited by Lavigna; 01-01-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

New shocks just arrived. They look great in person.

I know these may not perform as well as the Proline's, but I think they should look nice on this rig.

**Update** After taking these RC4WD KING shocks out of the package, I am disappointed. The finish is not great, and the stroke of the shock is terrible. It feels like pulling a rusty nail through a hole in some tin metal. There is just a bit of oil inside for lubrication, but it looks more like black sludge. I am almost scared to fill them with oil, because I am betting they leak like a faucet. Has anyone else had this experience with RC4WD shocks? I know their stuff is typically looks over function, but this is too far.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lavigna; 01-03-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:58 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Great build by the way but i have a question what head light buckets set are you using i have never seen those before they kinda look like the ones for the score?
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote

New Member - Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Member and my Wraith TreePRO86 Axial Wraith 8 05-06-2015 08:59 PM
New Member, New 1/24 trekker build. BlueTegu Micro Scale Rigs 0 03-21-2014 06:39 AM
New member - First build chugdugdadug Tamiya TLT Crawlers 36 01-10-2013 08:46 PM
New member "tomvaillencourt" seeks input on wraith build tomvaillencourt Axial Wraith 10 10-10-2012 07:32 AM
new member - new txt build gumby240 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 16 09-05-2005 07:26 PM